What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

The most faithful SM64 retexture (probably).

Kev

Hi, all. I've started a retexture project, with the goal being to redo SM64's textures in a higher resolution, while staying as faithful to the source as possible. Most texture packs take a lot of artistic liberties, which gives the game a different feel. That's not a bad thing, but I wanted something more familiar. Right now I have 2 textures done. I'm not hell-bent on redoing every texture myself, if I see something good in someone else's texture pack, I may "steal" it (with permission, or course).

The first thumbnail is the original, the second thumbnail is the new one, and the third thumbnail is the new one with bump mapping added. The bump mapping gives it a more realistic feel, but I'm not entirely sure if it fits the style of the game as well as the flat version. Tell me what you think! The fourth thumbnail showcases the new dirt path texture.

Screenshots:
  Spoiler:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_04.png
    Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_04.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 2,285
  • Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_03.png
    Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_03.png
    585.9 KB · Views: 2,398
  • Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_02.png
    Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_02.png
    651.8 KB · Views: 2,643
  • Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_05.png
    Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_05.png
    732.8 KB · Views: 2,630
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

Kev

Got a few more done. Here's a big comparison photo:

Attachments

• TexCompare.jpg
    TexCompare.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 2,077

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Those look great!
Are you using Photozoom pro 6? If so send me your parameters if you need help up scaling anything.

What is this bump mapping that you speak of? I see it in the photo but how were you able to create the depth, a PS plugin?

Last edited:
OP
K

Kev

Thanks. I'm not using Photozoom Pro, or any conventional image scaler - they can't add detail like this. I have a top-secret workflow that involves software tools I wrote myself. But the tools only help with organically detailed images. Things like the barbed-wire fence I did manually in GIMP (nearest neighbor resize + smudge brush, lol). Bump mapping is a built-in effect in GIMP, I don't know if Photoshop has it. It's just a static, baked-in effect, unlike the dynamic bump mapping effect in modern games.

Raresoft

im interested on doing this. Create hi detailed textures based on the originals. I have tried the version 7 pro a little bit but dont know how to increase the detail like in this example. Can you explain me how to do?