What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

HighResEaser 1.7

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Awesome! I should mention that the tiled screenshot you're using will need to have the top and bottom rows (the ones with only two textures) cropped out before processing. Roboread only supports same amount of textures per row.
Errr? You're talking about the range mode correct?

Can you post the files, including your screenshot? I'd like to see if it's a problem with your photoshop.
I think I know what I did to cause the misread error. That SC was for use with 1.6.

Starting from scratch.

Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Not sure what you mean by range mode. Im talking about the screenshot where the top and bottom rows have two textures, and every other row has 10 textures. You need to crop out the top and bottom rows, because they differ.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
kitten-hang-in-there-poster.jpg

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Not sure what you mean by range mode. Im talking about the screenshot where the top and bottom rows have two textures, and every other row has 10 textures. You need to crop out the top and bottom rows, because they differ.
I just realized I may be making a false assumption about the top and bottom rows. Take the top row for example, I'm assuming that it is made up of two long textures. Is it actually 1 texture repeated 5 times, then another texture repeated 5 times, like in the Activision logo? If that's the case then all you need to do is crop the empty black space surrounding the screenshot, as you always have to do.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Range mode is when a SC contains Rows and Columns. A range of textures.
The top textures are in fact the same file repeated.

My issue is that 1.7 fails to operate correctly and enters false values into Step #2 Load and Arrange.
Code:
666,666,666,666,666,0,0,0,0,0,777,777,777,777,0,0,66,25,18,33,19,98,102,9,9,9,9,9,9,3,3,3,73,20,45,38,82,41,120,
31,99,42,4,105,96,104,106,36,34,107,95,52,10,23,67,29,43,113,7,37,71,39,47,58,16,74,109,
410,970,950,940,930,900,22,83,72,94,15,111,444,444,444,333,0,9,112,87,70,40,110,65,114,24,46,0,111,0
These are from MK64 (120) textures.

Attachments

• 9 21 15.rar
    77.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Range mode is when a SC contains Rows and Columns. A range of textures.
The top textures are in fact the same file repeated.

My issue is that 1.7 fails to operate correctly and enters false values into Load and Arrange.
Code:
666,666,666,666,666,0,0,0,0,0,777,777,777,777,0,0,66,25,18,33,19,98,102,9,9,9,9,9,9,3,3,3,73,20,45,38,82,41,120,
31,99,42,4,105,96,104,106,36,34,107,95,52,10,23,67,29,43,113,7,37,71,39,47,58,16,74,109,
410,970,950,940,930,900,22,83,72,94,15,111,444,444,444,333,0,9,112,87,70,40,110,65,114,24,46,0,111,0
These are from MK64 (120) textures.
[MENTION=29958]NES_player4LIFE[/MENTION]
The problem is you are leaving the horizontal offset at the default 50% (This default changed from 1.6), so it is sampling straight down the center of the screenshot where it picks up invalid values from the 'MARIOKART 64' title text. If you entered 95%, it would take its samples near the right edge of the screen capture, avoiding that obstruction. In 1.7, you can actually see the dropper tool getting its samples while its processing, so you can see where its getting samples in real time. (at least you can in CS6)

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Ah, 95% That's corrected now! MK64 seems to process correctly

I now have an issue with the Range in Space Invaders. I input the SC and it processes but after it reads the SC it fails to direct to step 2.

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Ah, 95% That's corrected now! MK64 seems to process correctly

I now have an issue with the Range in Space Invaders. I input the SC and it processes but after it reads the SC it fails to direct to step 2.
Did you make sure to crop out the black space surrounding the textures in your screenshot? Also, leave offset at 50%

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I seemed to have missed that command, Cropped and seems to be working now. Sorry for the run-a-round.
Tested on PS CS5 not yet CS3.

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

[MENTION=29958]NES_player4LIFE[/MENTION] No worries!

Instead of deleting the lines I told you, try loading up the official 1.7 and replace the following lines with these lines. If it works for you, then that means older versions of photoshop don't handle 'regular expressions' for some bizarre reason.

803:
if ( slicesint > 0 && slicesint < 1000 )
814:
if ( tprint > 0 && tprint < 1000 )
825:
if ( xoffsetflt >= 0 && xoffsetflt <= 100 )

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
@NES_player4LIFE No worries!

Instead of deleting the lines I told you, try loading up the official 1.7 and replace the following lines with these lines. If it works for you, then that means older versions of photoshop don't handle 'regular expressions' for some bizarre reason.

803:
if ( slicesint > 0 && slicesint < 1000 )
814:
if ( tprint > 0 && tprint < 1000 )
825:
if ( xoffsetflt >= 0 && xoffsetflt <= 100 )

So far so good.

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

So far so good.

Ok good. I'm actually glad there was confusion, becuase it gave me the idea to add the feature shown in the screenshot below. I figured out a very reliable way of detecting when the user has made a mistake, and it pops up a dialog offering solutions, before it starts to try arranging textures with your corrupt numbers)

attachment.php

So the hope is, that if this feature was there before, it would catch the errors before they become bewildering. I attached the modified 1.7, if it works on your machine, I'll replace the main archive!

(It already has the changes to the input error handling from two posts ago without 'regular expressions'.)

Attachments

• Warning.jpg
    Warning.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 282
  • HRE 1.7 TEST.js.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 64

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
That works great. I would as for a report of what files where interrupted and the amount of such errors ignored or a correction input.
Say that you have scanned 90% of the SC but the last 10% contains external graphics, could a user then ask to scan a separate portion of the file in error?

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

That works great. I would as for a report of what files where interrupted and the amount of such errors ignored or a correction input.
Say that you have scanned 90% of the SC but the last 10% contains external graphics, could a user then ask to scan a separate portion of the file in error?

Good to hear it works. I programmed the addition in basic javascript, with no regular expressions, to make sure it worked in older photoshop versions (pain in the ass lol).

To your first question, ROBOREADER only sees the screenshot you provide, it does not load any files or metadata. The way it is able to detect various mistakes is by intelligently tallying up the amount of unique color samples (which should equal the amount of texture files), finding the largest decoded sample VALUE, and then making sure that largest decoded sample value isn't greater than the amount of unique samples tallied. It also makes sure that no sample value is less than 1.

Since ROBOWRITE encodes the textures sequentially, starting from 1, this detection method will throw an error when it encounters pure black, or any decoded color value out of the range of the total unique values it finds.

To attempt to provide specific information to the user would be more misleading than helpful, because for one, the error detection is based off of the prompt values inputted by the user which could easily be incorrect anyway. The logic would end up being circular.

Question 2: Can you elaborate, or provide an example screenshot?

(Update:) [MENTION=29958]NES_player4LIFE[/MENTION] I just tried to respond to your PM, says your inbox quota is exceeded.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear it works. I programmed the addition in basic javascript, with no regular expressions, to make sure it worked in older photoshop versions (pain in the ass lol).

To your first question, ROBOREADER only sees the screenshot you provide, it does not load any files or metadata. The way it is able to detect various mistakes is by intelligently tallying up the amount of unique color samples (which should equal the amount of texture files), finding the largest decoded sample VALUE, and then making sure that largest decoded sample value isn't greater than the amount of unique samples tallied. It also makes sure that no sample value is less than 1.

Since ROBOWRITE encodes the textures sequentially, starting from 1, this detection method will throw an error when it encounters pure black, or any decoded color value out of the range of the total unique values it finds.

To attempt to provide specific information to the user would be more misleading than helpful, because for one, the error detection is based off of the prompt values inputted by the user which could easily be incorrect anyway. The logic would end up being circular.

In line with my comment above, I think this is a good compromise. If the user chooses to proceed, ignoring the first error encountered, a secondary dialog appears at the end, listing how many errors were found, and where they are in the screenshot. It doesn't draw the conclusion for the user (as it cant), but it provides more information to assist in tracking down what he/she is doing wrong.

attachment.php

An updated version of the test script reflecting this change is attached.

Attachments

• HRE 1.7 TEST 2.js.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 76
  • warningaddition.jpg
    warningaddition.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
In line with my comment above, I think this is a good compromise. If the user chooses to proceed, ignoring the first error encountered, a secondary dialog appears at the end, listing how many errors were found, and where they are in the screenshot. It doesn't draw the conclusion for the user (as it cant), but it provides more information to assist in tracking down what he/she is doing wrong.
This sound exactly like what I wanted, I do doubt that it will be used much but in such cases it will help to track errors.

I'll see about testing the latest script this weekend.

EDIT: Inbox cleaned up thanks.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
[MENTION=112808]CCTEX[/MENTION] I've tested the script and all seems to be well on this end. I think it's time to wrap up this project and move on to the next one. :D

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

[MENTION=112808]CCTEX[/MENTION] I've tested the script and all seems to be well on this end. I think it's time to wrap up this project and move on to the next one. :D

Cool, I just replaced the archive and the link in the top post. FYI, the link to this thread from md's original thread is dead.

death--droid

Oooh this looks rather neat, and should save an awful lot of time when doing some of those pesky backgrounds!!