What's new

Local image scraper / renamer?

tjwoosta

Ive been using emulationstation to launch my games but Ive noticed most of the box art it scrapes from the net is low resolution fuzzy looking crap.

Now I have a collection of nice high res box art, but i need to somehow bulk rename every image to match the corresponding rom like (Super Mario World (U) [!].png), then i can just drop them into the right directory and be done.

Im basically just wondering if there is a program floating around that does this? Surely im not the only one who likes nice box art.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Lets archive this then. :icecream:
  Spoiler:
FuzzyRename - If you've got a bunch of .png or .avi files that are similarly, but not quite exactly named to your ROM/zip file names, such as:

Desert Falcon (1987) (Atari) (PAL).png
Desert Falcon (1987) (Atari) (PAL) [!].a26

and you'd like to get the names to match so you can use them in an emulator, then this program is for you!
Download it: FuzzyRename - Released August 11th 2008
Download the source (msvc++)

output.jpg

Usage
1) browse to the folder with the files you want to rename. (typically your .png or .avi files)
2) browse to the folder with the files you'd like to match (typically rom files or .zip files)
3) the program will chew on these 2 folders for awhile (yes, it is a slow process, sorry) and then display a list: the rom name, the closest .png file it could find, and then the target filename. You will likely have to expand the list out to see all the details.
4) browse to the folder where you want the renamed files to be placed. - the source .png files are never actually changed-the files are copied and renamed to the destination folder.
5) press Go! to do the entire list, or:
5a) select individual files to work on. If you highlight a file(s) you can right click it and copy+rename an individual file, delete the selection, or change the target filename by hand.
5b) pressing the delete key when files are selected will delete them from the list
5c) 2x clicking the a filename will pop up the target filename editor

The tool is by no means perfect when finding target filenames. You should probably scan the list by hand to make sure it's not doing something really weird with your files. It only checks filenames against others with the same starting letter, so it should not try to match "asteroids" with "blasteroids"

If you see a blank in the "closest match" field, then it didn't find anything close enough to rename the file to. There's nothing you can do here, since you cannot manually edit the source filename, only the destination. Sorry 'bout that, maybe in the next release.

Contact

For support, bug reports, suggestions or even insults, contact
email.jpg

Thanks to all the folks on arcadecontrols.com for testing, encouraging, and bug reporting.

Attachments

• FuzzyRename3.zip
    105.1 KB · Views: 100
  • FuzzyRenameSource.zip
    94.6 KB · Views: 95