What's new

Project 64 and Windows 10

stephen1982

I am running into a slight problem when I try to use Project 64 v 1.6 . I just recently upgraded to Windows 10. I can load the games just fine, but when I try to use the full screen mode, the games will be flashing. I'm wondering if Project 64 is not compatible with Win 10 or if I need a newer version. I was previously using Windows 7, Professional version. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

V1del

Jabo's video plugin is apparently incompatible, you should switch to Glide64Final or similar (and/or use PJ64 2.2 which contains a slightly adjusted version of Glide)

V1del

Options -> Untick Hide advanced settings -> reopen options -> plugins -> choose PJ64Glide (assuming 2.2)

On 1.6 download https://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/detail?name=Glide64_Final.zip& extract it follow the instructions in the readme (copy the glide64.dll and language files into the plugin folder, copy glide3dx.dll into the PJ64 root folder), do the same as above (tabs may be arranged differently click through them) and choose Glide64Final

OP
S

stephen1982

I do not have PJ64Glide (assuming 2.2) listed as an option under plugins. I should have explained better that I am not savvy on stuff like this, so you may have to literally break it down in steps. Sorry :(

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
V1del meant "assuming you have Project64 2.2". You shouldn't be using 1.6 at this point anyway. If you really want to use Project64 1.6, then you need to follow the instructions laid out by V1del.

Last edited:
OP
S

stephen1982

I think it would just be easier to use version 2.2 since I am not savvy enough to understand how to unzip the files to my 64 directory. I did indicate that I did not understand the instructions, Agozer. How do I find version 2.2?

OP
S

stephen1982

I read the information and tried to download it. It will not open because I do not have the latest version of Windows Live Photo Gallery?? This is a little absurd. I just want an update so I can play my N64 games on full screen. Someone help, please.

Agozer

It's a compressed RAR archive. You need 7-Zip or WinRAR (google them) to extract its contents. Like it was already said earlier, apparently Jabo's Direct3D graphics plugin that comes with Project64 1.6 doesn't play nice with Windows 10. Also, you should read up on compressed archives, because the Internet is full of them. It will help you tremendously on the long run.

Does Windows 10 hide file extensions by default? If so, you should probably switch it so that Windows shows all file extensions.

Last edited:
OP
S

stephen1982

If WinZip will work, I am going to try that. Hoping for the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, WinZip was a no go. Installed 7-Zip, but that is not working either. More blue screen of death :(

Last edited:

V1del

From using 7-zip? or have you managed to extract it and are trying to play now and the emulator crashes? try to set the emulator to win7 compatility mode (right click -> properties/settings -> compatibility)

OP
S

stephen1982

It was coming from WinZip. Got rid of it and downloaded 7-Zip. I think I extracted all the files (I hope highlighting the files and clicking 'extract' worked). The blue screen of death was when I tried to open a game in P64 v2.2.

V1del

As said, try to run it in Win7 compatibility mode, if you extracted in and are starting the extracted exe you should set that to compatibility mode.

OP
S

stephen1982

That was the problem. Changed to Win7 and loaded Paper Mario. Full screen does not flash. :)

Thanks for the help and sorry if I sounded too upset about this.

New issue: Played Mario Kart earlier, but now games are not opening. An error message popped up saying 'Cannot allocate memory'?

Update: Games are still not loading

Last edited:

xxlonewolf21

I'm also having some issues with my emulator, specifically the roms. Every time I try to download a rom, I'm greeted by a message that says, "c:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Local\Temp\Harvest Moon 64 (USA)-3.zip Application not found". This issue is not just with Harvest Moon, it's with any rom that I try to download. I tried to manually create the directory for it, but when I tried to make an AppData file, I was told that a file with that name already exists, even though I can't see it and apparently neither can roms. Windows prompted me to merge "New Folder" with AppData, so I clicked OK. The file never appeared and I still can't find it.

Agozer

You can't (and shouldn't) create another AppData folder. It's a part of your Windows profile. Doesn't your Internet browser ask you where you want to save the file you are downloading? Everything that you download from the Internet gets first stored to your profile's temp folder, after which it is moved to the folder you specified to file to be saved -- unless you are trying to immediately open the file you downloaded, in which case the file stays in temp.

p.s. You should never run Windows with full admin provileges, unless it's a very specific situation where full admin privileges are needed.

Last edited:

xxlonewolf21

The only reason I tried to create an AppData folder is because windows told me that the directory it was looking for didn't exist. I kept the dialogue box open so that I could follow the path, and sure enough I only made it to the admin folder. There is no appdata folder. And I've already created a new account with less than full admin privileges.