What's new

Spider-Man Demul 0.7 alpha "please insert a normal game controller"

sambaman

Spider-Man Demul 0.7 alpha "please insert a normal game controller"

Problem:

Spider-Man for Dreamcast on Demul 0.7 alpha will accept inputs at menus, but not in-game.

How to reproduce:

1. start Spider-Man for Dreamcast on Demul 0.7
2. at "start menu" game requests player to "PLEASE INSERT A NORMAL CONTROLLER"
3. game continues to accept input, press Start to continue
4. enter game menu
5. select "NEW GAME", select difficulty mode
6. game plays cutscene, press start to skip
7. reaches in-game section, lists "PAUSED, PLEASE INSERT A NORMAL CONTROLLER"
8. no input is registered

More details:

1. You can go to Demul menu --> Config --> Maple Device Manager --> Port A
2. Change Port A to "NONE"
3. game screen then says "PAUSED, A CONTROLLER HAS BEEN REMOVED OR A VMU IS BEING DETECTED"
4. Changing Port A back to "Controller" returns prompt back to "PAUSED, PLEASE INSERT A NORMAL CONTROLLER"

Other:

This game runs on NullDC without this prompt, though some graphics are more glitchy such as the player shadow effects.

Thanks for any help with this issue :D

----------------------------------

On further inspection, I have "solved" (but not quite :D) the problem myself.

At least the game works on Demul 0.582, enjoy :)

Also works on NullDC, but with less accurate graphics :)

Would be great to have it working in Demul 0.7 alpha as well :)

-----------------------------------

OK there is definitely a regression here on 0.7 alpha, because Daytona USA for Dreamcast in Demul 0.7 alpha also has the same problem.

It think there is not controller attached and gives a similar warning. The game works great in Demul 0.582 though.

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
you are configured controls wrong - ie assigned extended buttons like C D Z, Analog 2, Digital 2 etc.
or used some padDemul.ini file with such buttons preconfigured.
some games, like Spiderman, do not accept controllers with such extended buttons. the same happens on real Dreamcast as well.

original Demul v0.7 alpha archive comes with only standard controller buttons preconfigured, so it is compatible with all games "from the box".
don't be such smartass and do not change default settings, especially if you have no idea what it for.
but if you do - no need to complain like "it doesn't works!" "its a regression" etc, you are on your own with things you did ;)

Last edited:
OP
S

sambaman

you are configured controls wrong - ie assigned extended buttons like C D Z, Analog 2, Digital 2 etc.
or used some padDemul.ini file with such buttons preconfigured.
some games, like Spiderman, do not accept controllers with such extended buttons. the same happens on real Dreamcast as well.

original Demul v0.7 alpha archive comes with only standard controller buttons preconfigured, so it is compatible with all games "from the box".
don't be such smartass and do not change default settings, especially if you have no idea what it for.
but if you do - no need to complain like "it doesn't works!" "its a regression" etc, you are on your own with things you did ;)

Do you have a stick up your butt? Or did you reach your head up there so far you forgot how to play nicely with others?

Or can you not give helpful information without being a c*ck?

You really like this phrase "you are on your own" don't you? Did your mommy tell you that when you were a kid? Must be a sad Eastern European or Russian thing to tell people.... sad.

Wipe the forest off your shoulder before speaking, might help. I'll take the help, not the attitude, peace.

Reach out of your bubble one day and learn to behave. Question asked nicely and with full details deserve friendly answers, no need for rude "smartass" comments.

You had the option to offer help, and choose to add in "smartass" condescending comments... your choice to be a c*ck. I'm sure it will work wonders if you try it IRL.

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
such a butthurt heh.
I just wanted to say - before complain about something is broken, pleeeease, make sure its not you broke it.

and yes, in the place where I'm from, if you take for example fork, and put it in own eye - it will be your own problem, not fork developers who don't warn you to not do this ;)
here no warnings on forks like - NO! DO NOT put it in eye! put in food and mouth only!
if some person dumb enough to do such, well, you know, Darwin nature rules - smartest and strongest lives, others not...

Last edited:

emusa

and yes, in the place where I'm from, if you take for example fork, and put it in own eye - it will be your own problem, not fork developers who don't warn you to not do this ;)
here no warnings on forks like - NO! DO NOT put it in eye! put in food and mouth only!

LOL nice one :lol:

tristeele

I registered just to agree with Emusa and MetalliC. All time classic comeback MetalliC. Stop being a douche samba. I love this emu... warts and all. MetalliC was saying how to fix your issue. Just read, say thanks and move on.