What's new

Xinput Deadzone on 0.7?

DarthMarino

I've notice that when I adjust the deadzone in the new Demul 0.7 release on an Xinput controller such as an Xbox 360 controller, it has no effect. There appears to be a fairly high deadzone which can be a problem in some racing games like Maximum Speed. My other controllers (directinput) work fine. This wasn't an issue on 0.58 however the Pad Plugin from that version causes 0.7 to crash. Is there any way to fix this?

MetalliC

Demul developer
deadzone setting never had effect on Xinput devices like X360 controller and uses Microsoft's predefined deadzone values instead (including ver 0.5.8.x).

so I suppose you just have your controller broken a bit within time

OP
D

DarthMarino

deadzone setting never had effect on Xinput devices like X360 controller and uses Microsoft's predefined deadzone values instead (including ver 0.5.8.x).

so I suppose you just have your controller broken a bit within time

There is no deadzone when I try the controllers in the Windows Game Controller Panel or on the older Demul so it's definitely not wear on the controllers. Something had to change with how Demul is reading them.

MetalliC

Demul developer
nope, there nothing Xinput-related was changed from 058 versions, it is exactly as it was
so its must be something at your end. broked controller, messed controls settings or smth
go figureout )

OP
D

DarthMarino

I did some more testing and found that my deadzone actually issue started in 0.5.8.2, not the new 0.7 versions. The controls work properly for me up until 0.5.8.1. Starting in 0.5.8.2 the "select device api" was no longer an option in the control config screen so I assume this is related.

MetalliC

Demul developer
I'm not surprised. in 0.582 introduced full Xinput support. I don't want go into tech details, but it is as was said already: for dead zone used values predefined by Microsoft in theirs API. if it works bad or wrong for you - your controller is too rusty and/or broken.
and there is nothing to "fix" in emulator about this.

Last edited:
OP
D

DarthMarino

It can't be a broken controller since it works in everything else. I might not be explaining it very well. I made a quick video that hopefully shows the issue.

sambaman

How do you enable Xinput for Demul?

I cannot figure it out. I am trying to run x360ce on Demul so I can use a non-360 controller.

I am able to configure using Directinput in the emulation GUI, but then I can't use the analog functions for the triggers.

If I could use x360ce with Demul it would allow me to use my analog triggers with Demul :D