What's new

Demul DX11 broken

LeSpank

If I set Demul to DX11 then load an image or ROM it will just shut itself down with no errors.

It seems to work OK if I use DX11ng on the latest alpha [edit: v 0.7a dated 11-07-15] or go back to DX10 on 0582/0581, which is strange.

Any clues as to what might cause this? I have recently used the 'DDU' program to clean out old driver files and upgraded to the latest AMD 15.7 divers for my graphics card. Wondering if this might have caused any problems.

Last edited:

rrr

I think it's the AMD 15.7 drivers as I've had exactly the same thing happen to me. I was on 14.12 previously and updated my drivers the other day only to find that DX11 now causes Demul to crash and DX11ng works fine but doesn't have the internal scaling option. Going back to DX10 on an earlier version works fine as well.

I guess the only option currently is to go back to 14.12 again as other than 15.7 breaking Demul I've not seen any other changes/improvements in anything else I've run.

OP
L

LeSpank

rrr, thanks for confirming that. It's a shame that the drivers can cause the problem though.

I bought Project Cars, which has been hugely improved by the 15.7 graphics driver. As a result I'm reluctant to roll back to an old version.

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
I guess you messed different emulator versions in the same folder ? do not do this - 99.9% you'll get non working emulator after downgrade or upgrate to the same folder. alway do clean install or at least delete "scache" folder.

rrr

Hi MetalliC. I tried a complete clean install and still got the problem. It wasn't happening before I updated my AMD drivers so I'm pretty certain it relates to that as I've not altered anything else.

Also, is there any reason why it's not possible to alter the internal resolution with the DX11ng plugin? Or is it still WIP?

Thanks for the emulator, by the way! :)

OP
L

LeSpank

Same as rrr, I can confirm this isn't anything to do with my file structure.

Also, internal resolution is supposed to be disabled on the wip versions of demul ;)

MetalliC

Demul developer
then its not cause when. its strange. I have AMD GPU too and latest 15.7 drivers installed, but haven't seen any problems on both Win7 and Win10 preview...

Also, is there any reason why it's not possible to alter the internal resolution with the DX11ng plugin? Or is it still WIP?
well, mainly its because the way it works. I'll try to explain in short what exactly new gen "NG" renderer have:
so how Dreamcast's (or almost any other) GPU works ? typically in several steps:
1. GPU got textures and geometry need to be rendered.
2. GPU got "start render" signal and do scene draw.
3. rendered picture saved to video memory
.3.1 during storing "picture" can be scaled and/or "flicker-free" deinterlaced in hardware, color data converted to target format with dithering.
4. SH4 CPU can read or write some data to/from rendered picture (so called CPU framebuffer access)
5. one or several frames later memory area from step 3. will be set as source for video output and showed onscreen, with optional another hardware scaling.
I hope this is not too complicated to understood.

but how Dreamcast emulators works ? they just do only steps 1 to 2, so they render picture and immediatelly show it on PC screen, whats all.

DX11NG plugin do all 5 steps. this makes many FB effects possible,
imo best example is "Sega Extreme Sports" - there really great sunspot effects, Vigilante8 also have nice "floating away picture" effect in menus, in "Silent Scope 2" now you can see scope picture at VMU screen (which are part of real picture readed from video memory), and many other games I forgot.

but if we have x10 picture rendered how we can save it to (virtual) GPU's video memory ? we can't, picture is too big, memory is too small.. so saved picture must be exactly that size it was programmed.

but yes, there is known complex methods exists, which makes possible to use together "real" framebuffer and scaled picture, but well, they are complex and not easy to implement. so I don't think this happens in near future...

Last edited:

rrr

Thanks for the explanation! :)

I've done a couple of tests totally uninstalling the 15.7 drivers, then re-installing them and then finally going back to 14.12 and the only way to get DX11 working is to use the 14.12 drivers.

I noticed you're using Win 7 and Win 10 preview. I'm running 8.1 so maybe there's some sort of issue with that? I'll be getting 10 when it's officially released in a few weeks so maybe that will fix things. I can live with using 14.12 for the time being as I don't need the 15.7 drivers for anything specific currently. Anyway, if it's any use my specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-3770 (3.40GHz)
Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7870

Last edited:

D.Omochao

Strange problem with DX11ng here. Works fine with Naomi (Monkey Ball) and Hikaru (Star Wars Racer), but in Dreamcast, it looks low quality and is constantly shaking.

AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series

rrr

I've just tried the latest build (Demul v0.7 alpha 190715) with the workarounds for newest ATI bugs in 15.7 drivers and can confirm that DX11 now works fine for me - thanks very much! :)