What's new

Demul v0.7a alpha 2015/12/18

MetalliC

Demul developer
oh, and by the way - Virtua Vighter 4 card readers *is* emulated already (enabled by Config -> Naomi mode -> LLE MIE)

anyone cares ? :whistling I guess not. so I'm tend to think ID1-3 is the same case.

emusa

Hey Metallic, any way to bypass the "network searching" bar with VF4 final? I can't find a setting in the TEST-menu (F2) to disable all network functionality.

MetalliC

Demul developer
TEST mode (F4 by default) -> GAME TEST MODE -> GAME ASSIGNMENTS
is this first NAOMI game you ever see ? all of them have it in the same way
except few Namco's - there need to press JVS TEST to get into game test mode

emusa

Thanks man, I hadn't changed any values in the test mode (Naomi) before.. just didn't need to.

With the Model2 emulator you pretty much have to, because those games need lots of tweaking in the test menu (especially the lightgun shooters) - but it has a very different lay-out.

edit: virtua fighter 4 glitches bugreport updated

Last edited:

NombreyApellido

Hi everyone!

First of all, congrats to the devs and many thanks for sharing your amazing work. Demul rocks!

I got Naomi working beautifully in my old i7 920 4Ghz, gtx680, 12gb RAM, Win10 64 system, and I'm particularly interested in the f355 Challenge series. It looks really nice in triple screen windowed mode (3x1080, 4th black window in focus but out of the way) and I use a Logitech G25 wheel set for input.

My question is: Has anyone got the "6 speed shift" (Input Test Menu) working? I can't seem to figure it out... Paddle shift it's OK though. I know, I got greedy... But that would be the icing on the cake! :)

Anyway, if anyone got any tips they'll be more than welcomed.

Chris.

MetalliC

Demul developer
in F355 (and few other games) shifter mapped to Player2 U/D/L/R buttons, but iirc its not really usable - there needed combinations of several keys pressed for speed switching.

NombreyApellido

Thanks for your quick reply, Metallic.

Well, that's the way it is then... Paddle shifting does work perfectly so it's not a big deal :)

Once again, many thanks for sharing your work with us!

millansoft

Hello, thanks for this wondeful emulator, just a question, would you add sometime an audit rom option like MAME? I Think it will be a nice function. Thanks

MetalliC

Demul developer
why ? never used audit features in MAMEUI or M+GUI, but clrMAMEpro instead.
well, actually I've tried it once, found it silly and don't used anymore.

kelvinso

Hi,

Is there a way to set the demul (or the setting of the game) so that I can use netplay to play slashout with my friend?

Thanks,
Kelvin

kelvinso

Hi,

May I know if there is any planning on link emulation for Demul? Really wanna play slashout with my friends.

Thanks,
Kelvin

BigKong

people, are you really know what are you talking about ?

yabause - afaik there was no side contribution, in fact project seems almost dead for a years, even it OS and far from finished and have really bad (compared to SSF, closed source, made by single person) compatibility.

retroarch - made by very few people, not sure there was anyone's other code in the core.

MAME - VERY HUGE project, there quite many pull requests, but from people which is lets say "almost" the MAMEdev and close to team. but almost ZERO contributions from really side persons.

Final Burn - no side contributions afaik. (except from several from a guy who port it to Xbox)

Desmume - no side contributions

GlideN64 - this project OS is more than a decade, but all this time was improved and maintained by SINGLE person (Gonetz).

NullDC - no side contributions at all.

reicast - there was few interface/backend/portability side code. but no any emulation related. with iirc one exception - DC microphone emulation

lxdream - no contributions. project dead for a long time.

bsnes - no contributions. all was made by byuu only.

and I can continue and continue and continue this list of open source emulators to very very huge size.
but results will be the same - there no any benefits for emulation project going open source.
with a very few exceptions like Dolphin is.
Desmume has no side cotributions due to using SVN and Sourceforge.
Same with Yabause but now after switching to Git and Github it finally got a new skilled dev who is improving hardware rendering. Also with Saturn there is the lack of documentation and Saturn emulation never really got any open source traction everyone was happy using closed source SSF.
RetroArch did get many side contributions although major parts were written by a few people,
NulllDC has a very bad codebase used googlecode now as Reicast it is using github but code is just as bad as before it's heavily focused on Android and devs don't seem very interested in improving emulation due to performance reasons. Moreover many people were content with simply using closed source but superior Demul instead of contributing to NullDC.
Bsnes did get some contributions from others mostly from people on byuu forums but not much due to lack of public repository or any version control system same with mednafen. That was deliberate choice of these devs.
With Glide Orkin(original dev) didn't use any version control system or a public repository and codebase was a mess. Gonetz too for a long time was working on it on his own in private without public repository and later interest in N64 emulation died out though now on Github N64 emulation is again getting some activity.

You definitely should consider making Demul open source. Even now as closed source one man project it's still the best Dreamcast emulator so far. Even though competition isn't very strong it's quite an achievement but by making it open source you give it a chance to reach Dolphin's or even higher level.
Of course opening a source and leaving it at that is not enough to achieve this. It took Dolphin's many years to reach that level and good management while those projects listed by you were mismanaged. To attract new developers you probably would have to do things like progress reports, technical docs about Dreamcast's architecture, emulator infrastucture with hardware tests, public forum and the codebase would have to be readable for outsiders. A lot of work but could be fruitful.
After PCSX2 switched to Github it took like half a year before they started getting new contributors.

Last edited:

JTenebrous

I'm just stopping by to say thank you for your fantastic work with Demul! After all these many years, I can finally play Soul Calibur with no texture flickering on my AMD card (Radeon 7970), and Crazy Taxi is completely free of stutter. Also, I'm running it with the new DX11 shader at 1x internal resolution with Linear Filter disabled, but am running it with SweetFX PixelArt CRT Shader (a port of Timothy Lotte's CRT shader) and a touch of SweetFX bloom through ReShade. With the right settings in the PixelArt CRT shader (and Demul resolution must be set to a proper 4:3 integer scaling value, such as a 1280x960 window), it looks absolutely phenomenal! I'm so thrilled with how DC emulation on Demul is progressing. If I could make one request, would it be possible to implement Borderless Windowed settings? Cheers!