What's new

Demul v0.7a alpha 2015/12/18

AIO

people, are you really know what are you talking about ?
I don't think they do know :lol: . Don't know why certain emulators are way overhyped while others are underhyped. Too much bias, imo.

As for open source, it depends on whether or not others are actually willing to help. There needs to be enough interest.

Dolphin is a rare case where open source has benefited a project as delicate. Look at Pj64, it went open source and there is not a dream team that has improved emulation as rapidly. It is rare to find an open source so organized and goal orientated.

However, its was quite some time before N64 emulators went open source that popularity of the emulators dropped. Hard to say if there is a lot of interest in DreamCast emulation.
First of all, Dolphin aint special. Just happens to be that Gamecube and Wii are popular systems, therefore more interest. Secondly, I think Project64 is doing pretty well. Especially considering how inactive the N64 emulation scene is, overall. Thirdly, several N64 emulators were open source early on.

theboy181

Oh .. wow a N64 dev.... we have been set straight.. This is coming from a dev that just recently said he understands why people don't open source, and that he would rather keep hes code private.

Disorarara

yes, this happens on ATI/AMD videocards only, as well as on any other Dreamcast emulator I know
so I'm pretty sure its caused by some ATI drivers dirty hacks (they call it "optimizations" lol)
sadly there no workarounds known, believe me we tried to find them.

Actually Makaron doesn't display many of these texture anomalies on my end, so surely it is possible to get around most of AMD's hacks in order to properly render textures although I'm not imploring you spend more time on it than you already have. Makaron does however have another anomaly in which some polygons will end up missing. I guess you can't have it perfect with AMD no matter which way you slice it.

MetalliC

Demul developer
I know, previous Makaron versions had the same issues, latest does not. it's author doesn't know what exactly fixed texture glitches, he says he do nothing especially for this. must be some random changes triggered this bug.

you know, if you waste enough of time, it is possible to do anything, even bite own ass :D, but I do not want. there too many human resources was wasted on this and several others ATI glitches already.

FWIW in this emulator only one workaround for Nvidia bug.

Last edited:

deathace

Can you please add a hide mouse cursor option? This is the only emulator that does not have an option to hide mouse cursor

Djchubby

Though I noticed in some games (i.e. Virtua Striker 3) audio quality has got worse in version 0.7 alpha 190715, I' m sure You'll fix this and other things, so keep up the good work, boys!

kanario40

It,s a shame I can,t to play to the games of last version of demul.
I have tested the new version 19-7-2015 of demul and has the same issue of sound in all games and the video only goes to 25 fps.
Only works perfect all games in my pc i7 2600 64 bits ,9500GT using the plungin gpuDX10.dll with the version 0.52.

Pulstar

Anyone tried AMD's Virtual Super Resolution (VSR)? Perhaps it would give a better image in the new DX11 plugin, since upping internal res isn't available yet

Hunk_4TH

It's thinking.....
Anyone having trouble getting Dreamcast chds to run? I get booted into the bios and when I click play this is what I get. These were chds I created myself from GDI dumps. They worked in previous versions.
  Spoiler:
2ni5i07.jpg
Any insight will be appreciated guys thanks! :)

Disorarara

Is it possible to add an option to stop the sound from dipping in pitch when it becomes slow? Something like PCSX2 where slowing down slows down the sound but does not cause the pitch to become distorted

Hunk_4TH

It's thinking.....
I guess for chd games I wanna play I'll just use my gdis for now. I think the cdh plugin is broken.

- - - Updated - - -

Gdis are giving me the same dang problem. What can I do to work around this?

*edit* I deleted all my inis and started from scratch now it's working. Sorry guys I guess i should've did this first time around :/

Last edited:

justniz

I'm super impressed with Demul's emulation of Naomi.
Not only is Naomi emulation pretty stable and almost graphically perfect, but even more impressively, so are Naomi2 and even multiboard Naomi. Games such as Strike Fighter even open as 3 windows/instances of the emulator for the master and slave screens, and all run in pretty much real time on my 5+ year old PC (apart from some odd momentary freezes).

As a professional embedded software developer myself, I can very much appreciate the amount of skill, effort and reverse engineering this amazing achievement must have taken.

I hope the Mamedev get inspired by Demul's Naomi emulation. MAME is older than Demul, apparently has far more people working on it, yet its apparently still not half as far along with its rendering, stability and actual emulation of Naomi, especially Naomi2/multi.

Last edited:

Pulstar

MAME's method of emulating tends to avoid "hacks", whatever that means. That's why 3D games run badly in many cases. ElSemi emulated Model 2 a decade ago yet it's still preliminary in MAME. MAME is a generational project :icecream:

justniz

Its a noble cause but realistically you can't avoid hacks, especially around copy protection. Mamedev on the one hand say they dont want hacks but actually mame is necessarily already full of them, so clearly even mamedev dont apply that rule consistently.

I especially think mamedev have lost the plot with trying to do 3D rendering in software. You could argue the fact that mame's naomi emulation using software 3D rendering is actually more of an emulation hack than Demul using the GPU, since the real hardware uses 3D hardware too. OK Demul is actually using a different GPU but that to my mind is less egregious than no part of the emulation actually using GPU hardware even if its available. I have several Naomi systems and I can tell you side-by-side with the real hardware, Demul graphics look almost pixel perfect, lighting effects and all, but Mame is way far off. If you were looking for the closest to museum-grade reference resource for what Naomi games actually looked/played like (i.e. what probably nearly everyone would actually be interested in) you would easily choose Demul over Mame, yet Mame is promoting itself as the more accurate emulator with less hacks.

I think a much better approach for Mame to have taken would have been to start with the Demul approach (heck at this point just use Demul's code) then work towards replacing parts of the emulation with more technically/historically accurate implementations as the resource to do the work and the technical information/discoveries about how the real hardware actually works become available over time.

Last edited:

fla56

yeah, think we do!

people, are you really know what are you talking about ?

sorry but that's a very negative approach, Dolphin and PCSX2 are great examples of what to aim for, even as a code novice i've worked with those guys to solve a number of bugs, the communities are positive and buzzing

i'd love to put the same energy into Demul, would it really take more than a GitHub page to do it all?

ps the Project64 guys just make me sad, I've tried engaging but certain individuals are almost completely politically orientated, eg 'we don't need buildbots because everyone can easily download a 17GB complier package and just compile...' hmmm