What's new

Demul v0.7a alpha 2015/12/18

papermanzero

I have the same issue. Also with an i7.
The sound is sometimes getting very slow and distorted.

Is there a possibility to report bugs and feature requests?
feature request -> texture filtering like bilinear, 2xsai, xbrz via shader option (maybe via external shaders)
bug -> sound distorted is all games

MetalliC

Demul developer
what video card you have ?

if you have stuttering at first game run - its normal, this is the way it works. on second and subsequent runs game usually works smooth.

Is there a possibility to report bugs and feature requests?
did you tried to google "demul issue tracker" ?

but do not expect feature requests will be satisfied in recent time, or even years - we have no developers who will do this.

in fact during several last years here usually even less than 1 (one) active developer.
thats why current alpha builds was made public - because of highly chances final/stable version never will be...

kanario40

Metallic happens in all games, the distorsion of sound.When I load any game the first 10 seconds works fine spg 60 gpu 60 but after down to spg 25 gpu 25 and it,s like if it saturates the sound.I have a 9500GS of nvidia.

Only exists that plugin of sound to demul? I would like to do test with other if can be.

In the version 0.52 worked fine the sound but in it,s version exists any issue of saturation.

papermanzero

what video card you have ?

if you have stuttering at first game run - its normal, this is the way it works. on second and subsequent runs game usually works smooth.

did you tried to google "demul issue tracker" ?

but do not expect feature requests will be satisfied in recent time, or even years - we have no developers who will do this.

in fact during several last years here usually even less than 1 (one) active developer.
thats why current alpha builds was made public - because of highly chances final/stable version never will be...

Yes, that's understood. It's unfortunately most of the time the issue, that the developers are missing.
The result is still great. Highly appreciate the efforts. :)
Have you thought about going OpenSource on e.g. GitHub? Maybe other developers will join. At least they can provide pull requests.

Google code will be closed in August. Shall the users still enter bugs there?
I only want to avoid that the entered issues are gone, after google has closed its service.

Coming back to the issue:
I have a Nvidia GTX770 and exactly the same issue like kanario40.
After some time the frames drop and the sound starts to lag. After some further seconds, the games run fluent again.

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
Have you thought about going OpenSource on e.g. GitHub? Maybe other developers will join. At least they can provide pull requests.
yes, this if planned in far far future. but I've seen enough examples, then OS have no any benefits for emulation projects, especially dreamcast.
Google code will be closed in August. Shall the users still enter bugs there?
I only want to avoid that the entered issues are gone, after google has closed its service.
post reports there until it works.
nothing will be lost, issue tracker will be exported, but we not yet decided where exactly.

Coming back to the issue:
I have a Nvidia GTX770 and exactly the same issue like kanario40.
After some time the frames drop and the sound starts to lag. After some further seconds, the games run fluent again.
you badly explained issue, but let me guess - you are playing in fullscreen with Vsync enabled and during some time of playing you have some speed drops (which means sound lag will happens too) ?

Last edited:

Boulotaur2024

yes, this if planned in far far future. but I've seen enough examples, then OS have no any benefits for emulation projects, especially dreamcast.
You're wrong.

Dolphin has had a lot of contributions from various members since it went opensource. Pcsx2 as well, even recently with the OpenGL improvements brought by Gregory

There are a lot of advantages going open source for emulators. People like byuu have explained it a lot better than I could (I can't post links). People are free to do whatever they want of course but now that we know Demul is almost dying (1 developper not even "full time" on it) I believe it would be highly advisable to go open source someday, rather sooner than later. Like I said you'd get a lot more contribution and ideas.

kanario40

Metallic I have found the issue of sound.The issue is in the plugin gpuDX11.dll and gpuDX11ng.dll.

I have tested the game Dolphin with the version 0.52 and with the plugin gpuDX10.dll and works perfectly the sound and the video always is to 60 fps but if then I use the plugin gpuDX11.dll down to 25 fps and the sound it,s distorted.

Can you fix the plugin de video gpuDX10.dll to works with te version 0.7 Alpha?

theboy181

You're wrong.

Dolphin has had a lot of contributions from various members since it went opensource. Pcsx2 as well, even recently with the OpenGL improvements brought by Gregory

There are a lot of advantages going open source for emulators. People like byuu have explained it a lot better than I could (I can't post links). People are free to do whatever they want of course but now that we know Demul is almost dying (1 developper not even "full time" on it) I believe it would be highly advisable to go open source someday, rather sooner than later. Like I said you'd get a lot more contribution and ideas.

Dolphin is a rare case where open source has benefited a project as delicate. Look at Pj64, it went open source and there is not a dream team that has improved emulation as rapidly. It is rare to find an open source so organized and goal orientated.

However, its was quite some time before N64 emulators went open source that popularity of the emulators dropped. Hard to say if there is a lot of interest in DreamCast emulation.

I coped the Project from 2 years ago to Github, so the source is available. ;) Just not the current version.

papermanzero

Dolphin is a rare case where open source has benefited a project as delicate. Look at Pj64, it went open source and there is not a dream team that has improved emulation as rapidly. It is rare to find an open source so organized and goal orientated.

However, its was quite some time before N64 emulators went open source that popularity of the emulators dropped. Hard to say if there is a lot of interest in DreamCast emulation.

I coped the Project from 2 years ago to Github, so the source is available. ;) Just not the current version.

I cannot fully agree.

Dolphin organized itself over a very long period due to the open source characteristic.
They created automated tests, continuous integration, etc. because of the motivation of the different contributors.
Meanwhile a lot of developers are contributing to the project at github.

PJ64 is a bad example, due to political issues I would say.
Look at mupen64plus: based on mupen64 they created a opensource project in which several developers are now contributing to.
Meanwhile the git is very popular to requests features, to fix bugs or to enhance the code. Furthermore they are also trying to implement a CI approach now. https://github.com/mupen64plus

Look at vba-m, yabause, mednaffen, pcsx-reloaded, pcsx2, retroarch etc.
They all benefit from opensource.
GlideN64 on github is also a very good example, which is on the on hand a very young project and on the other hand has already several contributors.

Coming back to DC Emulation: NullDC was the starting point for the Reicast team to enhance DC emulation.
Now this is also a very popular repository for developers too. Meanwhile the original NullDC code/emulation improved a lot.
The question is always how to attract developers for your project, and opensource would be the right step.

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
people, are you really know what are you talking about ?

yabause - afaik there was no side contribution, in fact project seems almost dead for a years, even it OS and far from finished and have really bad (compared to SSF, closed source, made by single person) compatibility.

retroarch - made by very few people, not sure there was anyone's other code in the core.

MAME - VERY HUGE project, there quite many pull requests, but from people which is lets say "almost" the MAMEdev and close to team. but almost ZERO contributions from really side persons.

Final Burn - no side contributions afaik. (except from several from a guy who port it to Xbox)

Desmume - no side contributions

GlideN64 - this project OS is more than a decade, but all this time was improved and maintained by SINGLE person (Gonetz).

NullDC - no side contributions at all.

reicast - there was few interface/backend/portability side code. but no any emulation related. with iirc one exception - DC microphone emulation

lxdream - no contributions. project dead for a long time.

bsnes - no contributions. all was made by byuu only.

and I can continue and continue and continue this list of open source emulators to very very huge size.
but results will be the same - there no any benefits for emulation project going open source.
with a very few exceptions like Dolphin is.

Last edited:

Pulstar

I tend to agree with MetalliC, but for historical purposes perhaps releasing the source would be of greater good

Since we're talking emulators, whatever happened to Makaron? Is the author intent on selling DC mods and stopped working on it? Anyone knows?

theboy181

It does but I can't get 1080 resolution. I'm I doing it wrong?

Wouldn't mind being able to do hd. I think it crashes just like the dx10 plug. Maybe they will fix both.

MetalliC

Demul developer
bad news - our teammate's video card die, good for you news - his new choice was 260x, so we localized what exactly new bugs ATI introduced in latest drivers :p
gpuDX11 will work ok on GCN and Catalyst 15.7 in next Demul build.

Arkanius

bad news - our teammate's video card die, good for you news - his new choice was 260x, so we localized what exactly new bugs ATI introduced in latest drivers :p
gpuDX11 will work ok on GCN and Catalyst 15.7 in next Demul build.

Curious now
What was the problem ? :eek:

theboy181

Sorry to hear the bad newz... rest in piece old video card!!!! YAY!! I mean.. he was a good man. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Is the bug ATI or the plugin? is it the reason DX10 stopped working ?