Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Derby Owners Club?

So ive tried google/forum searching a bit, but cant find a whole lot on getting this game running.

Ive had the most success using Demul, but all three versions of the game seem to result in generally the same error, a card read/write error. I actually can make it to the menu screen on Rev. B version, but i dont know if it will let me get past that.

Im curious, are there any proven emulators out there that will play this game, preferably DOC World Edition? If not, is it possible to create my own using various hardware with the actual NAOMI game cartridge/card reader, etc? Im not looking to buy the massive DOC game you see at D&B, but rather trying for something smaller that i can hook up to a TV or similar.

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    you cant play this on emulator now, too many components need to be emulated.

to play this on real hardware you will be needed: special multiboard Naomi unit for 2x main screens, several client Naomi units for clients, all of them linked via optical cables, cartridges for all units and cardreader(s) for client(s).

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was about to ask the same style of question! It looks like the Naomi side of things is emulated, but Wikipedia is also calling out Sega Lindburgh ... I'm assuming this is the framework that Derby Owner's Club uses that's nowhere close to being ready to go?

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lindberg hardware is fairly beefy in terms of specs, and it's fairly recent.

Games like House of the Dead 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 run on Lindberg, among others, so don't expect the hardware to be emulated any time soon.
    Last edited by Agozer; July 18th, 2015 at 02:37.

ElektroDragon: I hate dying over and over. I don't learn from my mistakes. I couldn't play Dark Souls because of this. I bought the Bloodborne Collector's Edition. Like I said, I don't learn from my mistakes!

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    well, Linbergh is in fact just a PC, so there is nothing to emualate except I/O, but games needed to be hacked, like in Taito Type-X/2 case.

as far as I know - all Linbergh Red/Yellow (ie Linux based) games was hacked already.
    not sure about Linbergh Blue (Windows based), which have Derby Owners 2008 etc, I think it undumped, because such games not enough popular.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been trying to get Derby Owners Club World Edition emulated as well, but this game seems impossible without functionality upgrades to the emulator. There are two components to the game, a client machine where you build and control your horse and the server machine which runs the races and links everything together. It appears that the newest Demul seems to get the client portion working although it immediately displays "network error" because there is no connection to a server. You can create a horse and that's about it. Demul also is able to boot up the server portion of the game but the emulator does not have any communications emulation functionality to support a game like this. So the server portion boots to a point but sits there waiting for clients to connect and doesn't get anywhere. There is a netplay function in Demul, but this doesn't give you this functionality.

I imagine there will also be a card reader issue and that might require emulation, but I'm thinking you can get around that in terms of gameplay by just saving states.

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    there much more complexities.
    communication boards needed to be emulated, which is somewhat micro-computer with Motorola 68000 CPU, RAMs and comm. controller chips. so this needed to be emulated and communicated across emulator instances in some way.

main 'server' unit is multiboard with 2x NAOMI motherboards connected to 2x screens and networking ring.

and yeah, client units also have magnetic card readers-printers, 2 similar but not compatible models, one for early Japanese DOC and DOC 2000, and another for DOC WE (EX) and Japanese DOC II

anyway, I got all mentioned emulated communicated and working, so far on single PC only and with some glitches.
    Last edited by MetalliC; June 15th, 2016 at 19:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guess what? we can play A mobile version released for iOS and Android.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalliC View Post
    there much more complexities.
    communication boards needed to be emulated, which is somewhat micro-computer with Motorola 68000 CPU, RAMs and comm. controller chips. so this needed to be emulated and communicated across emulator instances in some way.

main 'server' unit is multiboard with 2x NAOMI motherboards connected to 2x screens and networking ring.

and yeah, client units also have magnetic card readers-printers, 2 similar but not compatible models, one for early Japanese DOC and DOC 2000, and another for DOC WE (EX) and Japanese DOC II

anyway, I got all mentioned emulated communicated and working, so far on single PC only and with some glitches.
    Amazing that you got it working! As far as the "server", interestingly enough the Demul emulator automatically opens two sessions a Master and Slave. But you probably already know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifan68 View Post
    Guess what? we can play A mobile version released for iOS and Android.
    Yes, found that today. I'm going to try and run it on a Fire TV box later this week.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderrinaldi View Post
    Amazing that you got it working! As far as the "server", interestingly enough the Demul emulator automatically opens two sessions a Master and Slave. But you probably already know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, found that today. I'm going to try and run it on a Fire TV box later this week.
    Do you guys mind elaborating on the steps required to run this game? I'm stuck in an endless loop on a blue screen saying it's searching the network. Ultimately, if I could get this to work across multiple monitors it would be glorious. Does running this local mean running two instances for the "master" screen and 1-8 different instances for the "slave" screens? So for a four player setup we're running 6 instances of DEMUL? :O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast