What's new

Derby Owners Club?

mcatta08

So ive tried google/forum searching a bit, but cant find a whole lot on getting this game running.

Ive had the most success using Demul, but all three versions of the game seem to result in generally the same error, a card read/write error. I actually can make it to the menu screen on Rev. B version, but i dont know if it will let me get past that.

Im curious, are there any proven emulators out there that will play this game, preferably DOC World Edition? If not, is it possible to create my own using various hardware with the actual NAOMI game cartridge/card reader, etc? Im not looking to buy the massive DOC game you see at D&B, but rather trying for something smaller that i can hook up to a TV or similar.

MetalliC

Demul developer
you cant play this on emulator now, too many components need to be emulated.

to play this on real hardware you will be needed: special multiboard Naomi unit for 2x main screens, several client Naomi units for clients, all of them linked via optical cables, cartridges for all units and cardreader(s) for client(s).

sav2880

Was about to ask the same style of question! It looks like the Naomi side of things is emulated, but Wikipedia is also calling out Sega Lindburgh ... I'm assuming this is the framework that Derby Owner's Club uses that's nowhere close to being ready to go?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Lindberg hardware is fairly beefy in terms of specs, and it's fairly recent.

Games like House of the Dead 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 run on Lindberg, among others, so don't expect the hardware to be emulated any time soon.

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
well, Linbergh is in fact just a PC, so there is nothing to emualate except I/O, but games needed to be hacked, like in Taito Type-X/2 case.

as far as I know - all Linbergh Red/Yellow (ie Linux based) games was hacked already.
not sure about Linbergh Blue (Windows based), which have Derby Owners 2008 etc, I think it undumped, because such games not enough popular.

spiderrinaldi

I've been trying to get Derby Owners Club World Edition emulated as well, but this game seems impossible without functionality upgrades to the emulator. There are two components to the game, a client machine where you build and control your horse and the server machine which runs the races and links everything together. It appears that the newest Demul seems to get the client portion working although it immediately displays "network error" because there is no connection to a server. You can create a horse and that's about it. Demul also is able to boot up the server portion of the game but the emulator does not have any communications emulation functionality to support a game like this. So the server portion boots to a point but sits there waiting for clients to connect and doesn't get anywhere. There is a netplay function in Demul, but this doesn't give you this functionality.

I imagine there will also be a card reader issue and that might require emulation, but I'm thinking you can get around that in terms of gameplay by just saving states.

MetalliC

Demul developer
there much more complexities.
communication boards needed to be emulated, which is somewhat micro-computer with Motorola 68000 CPU, RAMs and comm. controller chips. so this needed to be emulated and communicated across emulator instances in some way.

main 'server' unit is multiboard with 2x NAOMI motherboards connected to 2x screens and networking ring.

and yeah, client units also have magnetic card readers-printers, 2 similar but not compatible models, one for early Japanese DOC and DOC 2000, and another for DOC WE (EX) and Japanese DOC II

anyway, I got all mentioned emulated communicated and working, so far on single PC only and with some glitches.

Last edited:

spiderrinaldi

there much more complexities.
communication boards needed to be emulated, which is somewhat micro-computer with Motorola 68000 CPU, RAMs and comm. controller chips. so this needed to be emulated and communicated across emulator instances in some way.

main 'server' unit is multiboard with 2x NAOMI motherboards connected to 2x screens and networking ring.

and yeah, client units also have magnetic card readers-printers, 2 similar but not compatible models, one for early Japanese DOC and DOC 2000, and another for DOC WE (EX) and Japanese DOC II

anyway, I got all mentioned emulated communicated and working, so far on single PC only and with some glitches.

Amazing that you got it working! As far as the "server", interestingly enough the Demul emulator automatically opens two sessions a Master and Slave. But you probably already know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess what? we can play A mobile version released for iOS and Android.

Yes, found that today. I'm going to try and run it on a Fire TV box later this week.

StrawberryCream

Amazing that you got it working! As far as the "server", interestingly enough the Demul emulator automatically opens two sessions a Master and Slave. But you probably already know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, found that today. I'm going to try and run it on a Fire TV box later this week.

Do you guys mind elaborating on the steps required to run this game? I'm stuck in an endless loop on a blue screen saying it's searching the network. Ultimately, if I could get this to work across multiple monitors it would be glorious. Does running this local mean running two instances for the "master" screen and 1-8 different instances for the "slave" screens? So for a four player setup we're running 6 instances of DEMUL? :O

MetalliC

Demul developer
Do you guys mind elaborating on the steps required to run this game?
you cant. public released emulator builds haven't yet working NAOMI communication board emulation.

Does running this local mean running two instances for the "master" screen and 1-8 different instances for the "slave" screens? So for a four player setup we're running 6 instances of DEMUL? :O
correct.

yujabeats

you cant. public released emulator builds haven't yet working NAOMI communication board emulation.

correct.

EDIT: Well I discovered that it was the version of Demul I was using that was the culprit, as 2 of the alpha builds I tried didn't run, but the 0.582 worked like a charm. Sorry bout that! Hopefully somebody else having the same issues will read this.

I came here looking for the same answers the person you replied to was looking for. I'm also stuck with Demul sitting at the checking network screen. Are you saying the publicly released builds cant even get past this?

Somebody earlier in the post mentioned they could get to a point where they make their horse, and I've seen some videos out there that get past the initial boot sequence. I also saw somebody mention ITT that Demul automatically runs 2 instances for the Master/Slave units, but thats not happening for me. Was wondering maybe if you had any info on at least getting it past the network check?

Last edited:

StrawberryCream

EDIT: Well I discovered that it was the version of Demul I was using that was the culprit, as 2 of the alpha builds I tried didn't run, but the 0.582 worked like a charm. Sorry bout that! Hopefully somebody else having the same issues will read this.

I came here looking for the same answers the person you replied to was looking for. I'm also stuck with Demul sitting at the checking network screen. Are you saying the publicly released builds cant even get past this?

Somebody earlier in the post mentioned they could get to a point where they make their horse, and I've seen some videos out there that get past the initial boot sequence. I also saw somebody mention ITT that Demul automatically runs 2 instances for the Master/Slave units, but thats not happening for me. Was wondering maybe if you had any info on at least getting it past the network check?

Hi there what exactly did you do to get the game past the network error? Using that demul build and it's giving me that error still.

yujabeats

Hi there what exactly did you do to get the game past the network error? Using that demul build and it's giving me that error still.

I still get the network error on Rev. C & D. Rev. B is the only one I've tried that will get to the main intro screen where I can insert credits but I still can't start the game and make a horse like someone else mentioned.

StrawberryCream

I still get the network error on Rev. C & D. Rev. B is the only one I've tried that will get to the main intro screen where I can insert credits but I still can't start the game and make a horse like someone else mentioned.

Okay so on the latest version of DEMUL (released yesterday!) I got the game to boot and connect with one satellite. I can't get more than one satellite to connect though. It only seems to work when I have the "main screens" running already, and then I boot a satellite instance after.

If I very quickly try and run, say, 4 satellite instances at once it will still only ever connect to one. :(

I feel like this is very close though, if we can somehow figure out how to connect more than one satellite the game is pretty much playable. However, I don't believe there's card reader support for this game and the main screens do seem to bug out on a couple things.

I followed the instructions in the service manual for the arcade unit which stipulates you must have every unit (the main screens and satellite instance) set to the same satellite number from testing->test game->game assignments->number of satellites. I've tried setting it at 4 (was defaulted to 8) but this made no difference.

Also I should note in the screenshot below this is the original Derby Owners Club, I did testing with World Edition EX and it works just the same. :)

Progress:
pxPuqAE.png

- - - Updated - - -

I got all mentioned emulated communicated and working, so far on single PC only and with some glitches.

Hi there! If you look at my post above I detailed my progress. Just wondering are you able to connect more than one satellite instance? As you can see I was only able to connect one.

If you are do you mind detailing the steps to get that working properly, thanks!