What's new

PJ64 and Dolphin and televions?

Project 64 and dolphin on televions?

I was wondering if it would someday be possible to use emulators with your tv? I have this tv coupled with a pair of bose cinemate speakers, so playing my favorite nintendo 64 and gamecube games with good looking graphics on my setup, would be pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Clements

If you mean with a PC etc, then yes, it is absolutely possible. Quality will depend on what connectors you have on your TV / graphics card (although chances are they will be more than enough). Currently I use a 32" LCD TV as a PC monitor, and so I am using regular VGA right now with a 3.5" audio cable transferring all the sound to the TV speakers through the line in port on the TV. Basic, but works. My TV has component and composite as well as VGA and HDMI, so can run about 5 consoles as well as a PC on the same screen.

If you mean actually running the emulator on the TV itself using the CPU embedded in the TV - that may be a different story. Indeed, even that may be feasible, especially if the Smart TV is running ARM + Android.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Yes, i was mostly thinking of using the emulator with my tv, as i have already tried the solution with the hdmi cable, which wasn't a good solution.

Last edited:

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
hmm rasberry pi? I pretty use my pc with my 40" for everything, whilst i'm getting my living room ready for my BIG screen :) But yeah emulators you can pretty much go to any res you like, can't wait to see how it can be in 4k myself!
If your on about, not having a pc there, as i said rasberry pi is getting faster with every version, and that can be tucked behind the tv quite nicely, or you have have a tiny mini-itx pc connected, and stream stuff from your main pc to that, to keep things neat and tidy, thats an option for a living room set up.

OP
U

Ultimatium

What do you think would be a more "advanced" solution?

Well, perhaps something like this? I think im going to buy it. I will get back to you guys in this thread, if there's any issues. Anyway, i got the steam link, and i have been trying to get project 64 to work with windows 10. I was able to get the emulator to work, but i had to disable full-scene anti aliasing, otherwise it wouldn't work in fullscreen. I did some research to see which controllers are compatible with the steamlink, and it seems that playstation 3 controllers only works with a cable, while playstation 4 controllers works wirelessly. I also had a look on a couple of reviews to see how the steamlink performs, and it seems to be performing well for most people, but not without issues. As for myself, i was able to set it up with my wireless network, my tv and my computer after some hassle. I can start up project 64 on the steamlink on my tv, but i can't click on any games in project 64 with the playstation 3 controller. Also, i can't seem to get the the drivers for the playstation 3 controller to work with windows 10. It seems like the steam link was a really bad solution, so im still looking for a way to play games on project 64 and dolphin on my tv, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, thanks.

Last edited: