Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

ePSXe Subpixel Precision in new Update

The Android version of ePSXe was recently updated and includes a new Subpixel Precision option. I've tested a few games and the difference is quite remarkable.

It's similar to what was achieved with the PeteOpenGL2Tweak plugin. There's also a new GTE 64bit Accuracy option as well and a new Widescreen option. Get it at the play store or update.

"I hate the art of fighting, but I need to be the king of fighters."
    System Specs: [Intel Q6600@3.2 ghertz][2x2Gig DDR2 1066][EVGA 8800gtx][Asrock Intel SLi Dual SATA2]

My Online Mall

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's fantastic! This is pretty much the feature I've been waiting for in PSX emulation. Had no idea they'd achieved that in PeteOpenGL2Tweak as well.

Can't wait to replay FF7 and FF9!

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Call me stupid and blind, but for the life of me I couldn't catch the differences in presentation from that video.

ElektroDragon: I hate dying over and over. I don't learn from my mistakes. I couldn't play Dark Souls because of this. I bought the Bloodborne Collector's Edition. Like I said, I don't learn from my mistakes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agozer View Post
    Call me stupid and blind, but for the life of me I couldn't catch the differences in presentation from that video.
    Watch the 3d characters as they jitter on the secondary play through of each scene. Skip back and forth between them and you should notice a lot more jitter or wobbliness on the 3d characters. On the Tomb Raider 3 scene, check out the ground texture wobble on the second play. The final Xenogears scene was night and day for me.
    System Specs: [Intel Q6600@3.2 ghertz][2x2Gig DDR2 1066][EVGA 8800gtx][Asrock Intel SLi Dual SATA2]

My Online Mall

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So this is only available on emulators for cellphones?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Only available for ePSXe on Android, but you can get a similar effect with the peteOpenGL2tweak plugin which works on Windows versions of PCSX-R.

http://ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2...y-hack.160319/

My Online Mall

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agozer View Post
    It's subtle if you don't know what to look for. My limited understanding is that the PSX rendered polygon vertices at integral pixel coordinates on the screen. The PSX was designed with old SD televisions in mind, so the internal pixel resolution was quite low. When played on an old SD television like was intended, this didn't really look bad. But when you scale the graphics up to higher resolutions, when in motion, polygons suddenly 'jerk' from one PSX pixel to another (which on a high-res display may mean that it jumps quite a few real pixels) with no smooth transition in between. Basically, it's motion rounding error.

It also causes models to distort somewhat since none of the polygons in them really reside in the exact spot where they're supposed to. Again, that wasn't really as noticeable on SD displays, but on high-res displays it's more obvious, especially when combined with motion. If you play a game where the camera pans around and there's a distant model which appears small on the screen, you might notice that the parts of the model seem to scramble all around as the model moves on screen. (Battle scenes on Final Fantasy games where the camera pans around are a good place to look for it.)

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, right. I know this issue very well, and have stumbled upon it quit a few times when playing PSX games.

ElektroDragon: I hate dying over and over. I don't learn from my mistakes. I couldn't play Dark Souls because of this. I bought the Bloodborne Collector's Edition. Like I said, I don't learn from my mistakes!