What's new

High Level Audio

High level audio

I was wondering what the high level audio button does, and what you need to do, to be able to use it? It says it needs a third party plugin to support it, what exactly does that mean? Also, if it improves the sound, then how big is the improvement with high level audio enabled?

Last edited:

Clements

There are HLE audio plugins that can be used for sound, such as Azimer's HLE audio plugins and schibo's audio.

Low level audio (employed in LLE plugins, such as Jabo's audio plugin and Azimer's LLE audio plugins) should in theory be more 'accurate' sounding than HLE audio, but that is not always the case. LLE is also slower on very old/low power PCs. If in doubt, try them out and use what works for you.

Here is what the PJ64 website says on the matter:

The RSP plugin contains a low level audio emulator. This means that (in theory) it accurately emulates the sound generation hardware of an N64, so the sound quality is near 'perfect'. However, this method of emulation places a somewhat high load on your system (though it is well optimised) - it may be that an HLE audio plugin will use less CPU time, which on slow systems will mean more time left over for other components, and hence the emulator might run slower overall when using RSP audio. I highly recommend you stick with RSP audio unless you are desperate for speed and find HLE audio significantly faster.

OP
U

Ultimatium

So, i guess that enabling high level audio doesn't give you better sound quality? If i select it, it gives me a message that says it requires a third party plugin, and then the sound disappears.

Last edited: