What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Possible new way to texture Mario Kart Characters with zip

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

You too brother. The two methods will work together, and that HRE script is great, however, there are 120 thin horizontal texture slivers and i can't read the numbers when loaded into the emulator. Ive tried every scaling factor in the script, different resolutions for pj64, turning off enhancements in the graphics settings etc... If i could make them out, then i would already be posting back the updated textures. If you can make them out, take a screenshot and send it to me, otherwise, maybe i can try to modify the script to output tickmarks instead of numbers like this:

l
ll
lll
llll
lllll

But that may be tricky depending on how clean the code is!

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I have found that the best method is tell Option #1 to output at THE 12-14 font size (I THINK) then load into PJ64, next well emulating take a snapshot (F3), now open magnifier (%windir%\system32\magnify.exe)
This will allow you to make out the small font.

If you wish I can arrange them for you and upload a psd, but it will take some time.
However this does not chance the fact that you now have a ugly 4 bit text overlay on the texture that we plan to upscale.

Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

I have found that the best method is tell Option #1 to output at THE 12-14 font size (I THINK) then load into PJ64, next well emulating take a snapshot (F3), now open magnifier (%windir%\system32\magnify.exe)
This will allow you to make out the small font.

If you wish I can arrange them for you and upload a psd, but it will take some time.
However this does not chance the fact that you now have a ugly 4 bit text overlay on the texture that we plan to upscale.

That's exactly what I did, no dice, impossible to read. Have you ever tried it with these specific textures before? If you can just post a screenshot of the numbered textures loaded into your emu, I'd love to see if it's just my setup that's making them illegible.

So I ended up modding the script to add a 'hi-contrast' option as shown in the screenshots below. Cant seem to get rid of the flag/logo though which will make counting even more of a pain...

Don't worry about the IDs being on the textures, I have a way around that.

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Glide64_MARIOKART64_15.png
    Glide64_MARIOKART64_15.png
    606.2 KB · Views: 124

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I have retextured these before but it took abo0ut a day to read all the numbers.

Please explain your modification in the HRE Thread.

The logo and flag are themselves textures and can be made transparent. Logo below.
EDIT: Hmm It should have worked, maybe I can't transparent them.

Attachments

• Clear tex.rar
    81.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

I have retextured these before but it took abo0ut a day to read all the numbers.
Please explain your modification in the HRE Thread.
I will once I see your screenshot. If it is reasonably legible, then something is screwed up with my PJ64 which would make my mod pointless (solving a problem that doesn't exist)!

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I'll see if I can get something up for you this evening.

Attachments

• titlesolved Thx Vanit.png
    titlesolved Thx Vanit.png
    639 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

I'll see if I can get something up for you this evening.
[MENTION=29958]NES_player4LIFE[/MENTION] Here is the output of my completed mod, waaaay easier to read. The circles work like an abacus. Red is worth 1, Blue is worth 5, Green is worth 10. If you think it would be useful for other games that have tiny horizontal slivers like this one, I'll post it in the main HighResEaser thread.

Attachments

• Glide64_MARIOKART64_16.png
    Glide64_MARIOKART64_16.png
    103 KB · Views: 130

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
[MENTION=112808]CCTEX[/MENTION]
This is something that you are now famous for!
You, sir, are amazing! First Cctex and now now this!!!!!
:agree:

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

[MENTION=112808]CCTEX[/MENTION]
This is something that you are now famous for!
You, sir, are amazing! First Cctex and now now this!!!!!
:agree:

lol, thanks bro, really glad you like it, hopefully others can get some use out of it too. Here's a before shot for reference, the difference is stark!

Attachments

• Glide64_MARIOKART64_17.png
    Glide64_MARIOKART64_17.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 134

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
For some reason I can't yet squeeze any quality out of the image I posted above.
The lines are so jagged.

- - - Updated - - -

@CCTEX Sorry for the late reply, I didn't realize that you posted during my reply.

Please post a full revision update 1.5

Screenshots code and script.

Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

For some reason I can't yet squeeze any quality out of the image I posted above.
The lines are so jagged.

Where is that image from? I fed the numbers from the abacus mod into photoshop while pointing Highreseaser to the untouched texture dump you sent me and I attached that composite, which is what we need to upscale. It literally took less than 10 minutes to get the number sequence that way, YES!

UPDATE: Added a quick upscale as an attachment.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Title-Composite.png
    Title-Composite.png
    483 KB · Views: 120
  • Title-Composite-Upscaled.jpg
    Title-Composite-Upscaled.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 766
Last edited by a moderator:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Where is that image from? I fed the numbers from the abacus mod into photoshop while pointing Highreseaser to the untouched texture dump you sent me and I attached that composite, which is what we need to upscale. It literally took less than 10 minutes to get the number sequence that way, YES!

Image came from the project I mentioned in the P.M.
Your results look much better!
That abacus sequence is pure genius.

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Could you tell me the settings that you used to upscale that screen?

I unfortunately didn't save the settings or the outputted textures as I was just doing a quick test. I'll do it again and post both.

As far as other other conversation we were having earlier today about the cutoff, I can't find it now after the threads were rearranged, but here is a visual representation of what I was trying to explain before.

Here is the upscaled composite of the MK64 title screen dump:

attachment.php

Here is where you'd want to put your artwork:

attachment.php

And here is how it looks in PJ64:

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Aforementioned photozoom settings are now attached

Attachments

• Glide64_MARIOKART64_02.png
    Glide64_MARIOKART64_02.png
    629.3 KB · Views: 343
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 350
  • MK64TitleSettings.jpg
    MK64TitleSettings.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 96
  • MK64TitleUpscaled.jpg
    MK64TitleUpscaled.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Thanks for the reply, I had figured it out after the 500th attempt.
As far as the thread I decided to prune old information out of it after I accomplished the retexture.
I discovered that only 62.5% of the texture translates into 100% of the outcome. Plus if your replacement file contains hidden data that data will render as blank/white on whatever edge it is overlapped.
This was my issue, I guess HRE cant account for all human error.:cry:

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Glad you got it figured it out. How do you feel about the results with the PZ settings I posted? What other screens do we have to upscale?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Those settings are good.
The next screen would be Mirror mode title, I think. Or we could fool around with the options BG.
  Spoiler:

latest

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Those settings are good.
The next screen would be Mirror mode title, I think. Or we could fool around with the options BG.
  Spoiler:

latest

What is mirror mode title? On a frustrating note, I can't dump the textures for the title itself on the title screen. If you're able, could you post them and tell me how the hell you managed to do it too!