What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Possible new way to texture Mario Kart Characters with zip

mendus

Those pictures on the right seem unfiltered. But I just tried and there's still quite a difference.

I am surprised though with the fact that a simple magnifying algorithm gives such a good result. Nice discovery!

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Thanks! It is my goto algorithm for enlarging low quality photographs in my graphic design work, so it seemed like a natural choice when upscaling those tiny textures. The difference, as I understand it, is that s spline is semi-content aware, so it is is able to preserve hard edges and shapes better than bicubic linear and the lot. It is pretty cpu/gpu intensive, and can't imagine it could be performed on the fly any time soon.

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

"Didn't work here"? You mean you tried and didn't like the result? Sorry, I don't understand the question :)

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

No, that's ok! How did the program crash/what was the error message?

As far as the ingame menus, it definitely will work, but since the textures are of varying dimensions (not all the same like the character textures), you would want to upscale by a percentage factor, NOT a pixel factor. This way, all the textures you upscale are enlarged by the same zoom factor. In your directory of menu textures, sort them by width, then height. Find the largest dimension present, let's say it is 72. If we want to shoot for a maximum pixel dimension of 512 (length or width, doesn't matter), divide 512 by 72. This gives you 7.11111. So in Photozoom, you would enter 711.11111% as your enlargement factor.

Last note, you are welcome to try the settings I posted for the characters, but if I were you, I would load up just 1 of your menu textures into Photozoom (not the whole directory). Then select my enlargement settings, then adjust the sliders to taste until the font/arrow etc looks good, then load in your entire directory and process them with your custom settings. The settings I posted will work well as a starting point, but they were chosen for the characters, not sure how they'll look on text.

chiburunga

No, that's ok! How did the program crash/what was the error message?

As far as the ingame menus, it definitely will work, but since the textures are of varying dimensions (not all the same like the character textures), you would want to upscale by a percentage factor, NOT a pixel factor. This way, all the textures you upscale are enlarged by the same zoom factor. In your directory of menu textures, sort them by width, then height. Find the largest dimension present, let's say it is 72. If we want to shoot for a maximum pixel dimension of 512 (length or width, doesn't matter), divide 512 by 72. This gives you 7.11111. So in Photozoom, you would enter 711.11111% as your enlargement factor.

Last note, you are welcome to try the settings I posted for the characters, but if I were you, I would load up just 1 of your menu textures into Photozoom (not the whole directory). Then select my enlargement settings, then adjust the sliders to taste until the font/arrow etc looks good, then load in your entire directory and process them with your custom settings. The settings I posted will work well as a starting point, but they were chosen for the characters, not sure how they'll look on text.

It is a instacrash... "photozoom.exe has stopped working."

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Immediately when you open the program, or once you start to process images?

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Are they pirated versions? That might be the reason. Otherwise make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, try installing and running the software as administrator.

chiburunga

Are they pirated versions? That might be the reason. Otherwise make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, try installing and running the software as administrator.

Tested both pirated and original (trial) and running as adm with no sucess O.O

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Try disabling your antivirus, when installing/running, and update your video drivers

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
We do not support Pirated programs if you are using one it should be at your own risk!
Plus, technical questions on Photo-zoom should be asked on their forums not emutalk, this thread is dedicated to the processing Mario kart characters.

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

The whole gang before and after. ('After' picture also includes [MENTION=22109]Kerber2k[/MENTION]'s track textures)

Attachments

• CCTEX-before.jpg
    CCTEX-before.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 425
  • CCTEX-after.jpg
    CCTEX-after.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Incredible difference! Any chance for sharing the whole pack..?

I had intended to refine the pack a bit before releasing it, but have been pretty busy and I'm not sure when that will get done. So that being the case, I just sent [MENTION=29958]NES_player4LIFE[/MENTION] a PM with the current version of the character texture pack so he can put it up in the pack section of the site. Once he does, I'll put the link up here. I added a prefix to the subfolders so you should be able to merge it with Kerb's or any other without any conflicts. Enjoy, and if you have any comments/suggestions for a future release, let me know here. :tup:

NOTE: Ideally, it'd be cool to release [MENTION=22109]Kerber2k[/MENTION]'s and mine together as a complete pack, but I don't think he's been active for a long time to see if he'd be willing to do that.

Last edited:

noc_81

I had intended to refine the pack a bit before releasing it, but have been pretty busy and I'm not sure when that will get done. So that being the case, I just sent [MENTION=29958]NES_player4LIFE[/MENTION] a PM with the current version of the character texture pack so he can put it up in the pack section of the site. Once he does, I'll put the link up here. I added a prefix to the subfolders so you should be able to merge it with Kerb's or any other without any conflicts. Enjoy, and if you have any comments/suggestions for a future release, let me know here. :tup:

NOTE: Ideally, it'd be cool to release [MENTION=22109]Kerber2k[/MENTION]'s and mine together as a complete pack, but I don't think he's been active for a long time to see if he'd be willing to do that.

Awesome! I've been using Kerb's pack for years, and it's by far the most complete and professional one to date. I was pleasantly surprised to see that recently another user started adding new textures and fixing some of the alignment issues -- perhaps it could all be released together as a new 'community pack'..? x]

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Awesome! I've been using Kerb's pack for years, and it's by far the most complete and professional one to date. I was pleasantly surprised to see that recently another user started adding new textures and fixing some of the alignment issues -- perhaps it could all be released together as a new 'community pack'..? x]
I think that's a great idea! As much as I love playing the fixed kerb pack, his awesome hi res textures make the untouched original character sprites look even worse, which was actually the inspiration for me to find a way to do it. Having it as one pack would definitely make it more accessible for people.