What's new

Playing Multiplayer on Project64?

MichaelWP

Is there a way to play multiplayer on Project64 with such games like Perfect Dark? If so, how; and if not, are there any N64 emulators that does allow for this? Thanks.

mendus

I believer there is no official way to play. However:

Once I read about this unofficial input plugin. If you want to play with friends it might work, though I never tried. http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=1973

There are Kaillera builds as well, but I don't know how good they are nor if they keep updated with the emulator, so they might be less stable than the official releases.

The first choice seems quite reasonable. Maybe someone with experience on the subject can help you better.

Last edited:

wareya

I desync quite a lot with the input plugin method. Kaillera seems to work better, but has more lag. There's no perfect solution, since avoiding desync either means forcing people to run with their inputs synchronized (more latency) or to send periodic state updates (which are huge, and fail if someone can't go above 100% performance). Note: I use 1964 for Kaillera.

Video streaming might be the way to go, from a development perspective.

AIO

I desync quite a lot with the input plugin method. Kaillera seems to work better, but has more lag. There's no perfect solution, since avoiding desync either means forcing people to run with their inputs synchronized (more latency) or to send periodic state updates (which are huge, and fail if someone can't go above 100% performance). Note: I use 1964 for Kaillera.
Actually the reason for the extra lag is because for w/e reason, they decided to multiply the frame delay by 3. It's easy to edit source :) . I think going by kailera's p2p formula for frame delay is fine. For instance, 2 frame delay should be safe with 40 ping.

As for AQZ, I imagine it would work good with PJ64 2.x provided you have fixed audio timing enabled.