What's new

Perfect Dark N64 Issues

Cheeseburger

My apologies if this isn't the right category for this thread. I have an issue when trying to play Perfect Dark for N64. I load the rom, although sometimes it gets stuck in a black screen before it makes it to the menu and I have to restart it, but that isn't my main issue. My main issue is I can't create a New Agent file. If I click "New Agent..." I input an agent name, click ok and it says "Select Location." The next menu says "Where" and "Spaces" but i cannot highlight them, I can only click on what looks like two other options, "Delete Files" and "Cancel." So basically I cannot start the game because I don't know how to create a new character. IDK if this is something stupid or what and I am just not pressing the right button. I am using an Xbox one controller, and my other games work.

If there is a fix for both the black screen on load issues and the creating a New Character that would be great! But I would settle for just how to create a new character so I can at least play the game when it does start up correctly. Thanks for any help you can give me.

V1del

Which version of mupen64plus and which plugins are you using? Afaik occasional black screen hangs should be fixed in newer versions of glide and rice (Albeit it can take up to a few seconds to go on, this is normal). The character creation issue is something on your side, gamepak saves should always be chooseable, you are trying to select with the emulated analog stick and not the digital pad are you?

OP
C

Cheeseburger

I'm very new at this but I believe I am using the latest version of retroarch and the latest version of mupen64plus. I believe I fixed the black screen issues. A new rom worked. But the character creation is still an issue. No gamepak is shown. It is just blank under where it says "Where" and "Spaces."

I only have a .z64 file for the actual game. And an srm file created itself in my game save category just by starting the game. Am I missing some game save file to allow me to see a gamepak?

Last edited:

Clements

I also had this problem with starting a new game in Retroarch + mupen64 plus core with Perfect Dark.

I didn't bother trying to play about and fix it for myself, but I suspect that using a save from another emulator (where you have already started a new game to bypass the screen that you are stuck on) that has been renamed correctly and put into the correct directory would work. Provided it is a compatible save.

I am assuming you are using Windows so you should be able to generate a save with Mupen64 v1.5.1 which will hopefully work.

V1del

Can reproduce in Retroarch stable. That said, the m64p core was relatively fresh and still in the process of properly being ported when 1.0.0.2 was released, it might be a generally more pleasant/bugfree experience to use the nightly builds of at least the m64p core, if not of retroarch as a whole, I just tested and at least this behaviour is fixed there.

Last edited: