Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Zero View Post
    I don't know actually, but you could use MS Paint or something to get the Red Green Blue values from the palette images I posted above each code.
    Just open the palette image and select the color with the color picker, then edit colors to get the Red Green Blue values needed.

I don't remember if VBA named the corresponding Red Green Blue attributes to something else.

However I don't use bgb anymore either as I moved my GB/GBC emulation to the RetroArch Libretro gambatte core which does things more nicer:

I strongly recommend that for the definite GameBoy experience.
    Thanks for the reply.

I do have the RetroArch emulator but I admit I haven't used it yet. I usually stay away from multi-platform emulators and go for specific ones instead, but maybe I should give this one a try, since it also seems to emulate PCE-CD, WonderSwan and MAME games that I'm having a hard time with in other emulators.

One question: does it have options to select those SGB colours you listed here and remove filters and borders? As much as I appreciate the effort behind the "real feel" approach, I rather play the games on the TV screen with some image "enhancement" - maintaining the original color palettes as seen in the SGB, but removing the pixelated filters and borders.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retroskyle View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I do have the RetroArch emulator but I admit I haven't used it yet. I usually stay away from multi-platform emulators and go for specific ones instead, but maybe I should give this one a try, since it also seems to emulate PCE-CD, WonderSwan and MAME games that I'm having a hard time with in other emulators.

One question: does it have options to select those SGB colours you listed here and remove filters and borders? As much as I appreciate the effort behind the "real feel" approach, I rather play the games on the TV screen with some image "enhancement" - maintaining the original color palettes as seen in the SGB, but removing the pixelated filters and borders.
    It may seem strange but I have separate bare bone instances of RetroArch on my gaming rig which I treat as separate emulators depending on which cores I use (I'm not fond of multi-platform emulators either but this works fine)
    I'm using an older version of RetroArch (1.3.0) along with RAEM, a frontend that simulates the Windows GUI experience. This let's me just update the cores along with the info files without hassle.

I guess you can do everything you said you want to do, but as I'm only interesting getting as close to the real thing I tend to not left things out.

I know you can get SGB colors with Gambatte through custom palettes, but also if you want the full experience of SGB you can also run bsnes mercury like this:

retroarch -L "C:\Path\To\cores\bsnes_mercury_balanced _libretro.dll" -c "C:\Path\To\config\config.cfg" "C:\Path\To\Super Game Boy.sfc" --subsystem sgb "C:\Path\To\Game.gb"

Most things is possible to do with RetroArch these days and it's really stable too.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Zero View Post
    It may seem strange but I have separate bare bone instances of RetroArch on my gaming rig which I treat as separate emulators depending on which cores I use (I'm not fond of multi-platform emulators either but this works fine)
    I'm using an older version of RetroArch (1.3.0) along with RAEM, a frontend that simulates the Windows GUI experience. This let's me just update the cores along with the info files without hassle.

I guess you can do everything you said you want to do, but as I'm only interesting getting as close to the real thing I tend to not left things out.

I know you can get SGB colors with Gambatte through custom palettes, but also if you want the full experience of SGB you can also run bsnes mercury like this:

retroarch -L "C:\Path\To\cores\bsnes_mercury_balanced _libretro.dll" -c "C:\Path\To\config\config.cfg" "C:\Path\To\Super Game Boy.sfc" --subsystem sgb "C:\Path\To\Game.gb"

Most things is possible to do with RetroArch these days and it's really stable too.
    Cool, I'll give it a try then. I'm using it on a Wii, since I got tired of playing emus on a PC a long time ago (I prefer to separate both worlds, one is strictly for work and the other strictly for play). I have other emulators but perhaps I should explore more this one and Mednafen, since they may have options the specific ones lack.

Many thanks!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was watching an episode of AVGN today, the Virtual Boy one.

For a brief moment there was good footage of a Game Boy screen and I quickly came to think of this old thread so I made this image.

It kinda looks like a good match.

If you want to use this in emulators, just download the picture and use the pippet tool in Paint or something to get the colors (RGB values), lightest to darkest and then use them.
    bgb is one of the easiest Game Boy emulators to test this with.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Black Zero; May 11th, 2019 at 06:35.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12