What's new

Snes9x SRM Help

Cobalt_000

My snes9x won't load my SRM saves of Earthbound. They are in the saves folder and are named correctly. They also were originally saved by snes9x and not any other emulator. Does anyone know what I should do?

mendus

Is the saves directory in Emulation\Settings the correct one? You only need to choose a path there, and put the saves on that place.

Note that the default ".\Saves" means "<path to the exe>\Saves".

OP
C

Cobalt_000

The save should be in the .\Saves (as it was pathed there earlier), and the emulator is still pulling from .\Saves. I have also tried pulling from some SRMs that I found in AppData\Local\temp\Temp7_snes9x-1.52-win32.fix4-1183.zip\Saves, but this did not result in finding my save file either.

Last edited:

mendus

What you need is the emulator decompressed in one directory, saves in the Saves folder in this directory and the path Emulation/Settings for saves to be .\Saves. Then, execute the emulator, load a ROM and it will load the SRAM save (.srm format) with the same filename (minus extension) automatically if there is one there already. It will create one if there is not.

If you are doing all that it means the save you're loading contains nothing.

If you want to check if it is that save that is being loaded you can try the next:
Play the game and save. Check it loads it. Delete the save. Check it doesn't load it.

OP
C

Cobalt_000

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm following what you mean by the decompressed emulator. The only thing I have for the actual emulator that I know of is an application file. Is that just a launcher and the real emulator stuff is somewhere else? If so, where should the emulator (as well as srms) be?

mendus

By decompressed I meant it is not in a zip file. You posted a directory before with a zip in the address so I do not know what to think.

The emulator is an exe file together with documentation and a dll. I don't know where you got it, but it comes in a zip file. Open it and copy its contents into one directory.

http://www.snes9x.com/downloads.php

Start the game and then close it. If everything was done correctly it will create a saves folder with a save. Then replace that with yours.

OP
C

Cobalt_000

Yeah I have the zip file. What directory do I need to copy it to? Just anywhere as long as I make sure the saves and SRMs are pathed there?

mendus

Yes, that's it. The SRMs are the saves, and by default they belong in the Saves folder where the .exe is.

OP
C

Cobalt_000

Perfect! So, does that mean that previously, when I was just running it from the zip, that my SRMs from the last time I played did not save since folders cannot be made within the zip? Also, would that mean that I should go to those weird temp directories and paste those SRMs to see if they work and have my old data?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I've already filtered through enough until I found the right ones. Thank you so much for the help mendus. I've asked on 4 or 5 forums prior and didn't get a single answer. I really appreciate your help in answering this question.

mendus

When you execute from a compressed file, it is decompressed into the operating systems temp files. So your save was probably placed somewhere in Windows/Temp. Windows manages this files, so he deletes them when he considers he doesn't need them any longer.

So for the future, better not run programs from compressed files.