What's new

Convert GCM to ISO

Most ROM downloads of GameCube games available on the internet come in .GCM image format. The .GCM image format also happens to be the same one used by various tools for backing up GameCube games to an SDHC Card using a Wii. Dolphin doesn't use the .GCM file format and that (until recently) is quite the shame considering the latest build perfectly plays the GameCube Resident Evil remake. This tool accurately converts .GCM backups to .ISO for the specific purpose of emulation.

Do a Google search for the following (I am unable to post links at this time):
"Gamecube ISO Tool 1.0.1 Build 5"

The link you are looking for contains "wiibackupmanager.co.uk" in the URL...

Enjoy :D

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
A warning to the wise.

There is no such thing as a GameCube ROM, if there was and you downloaded it; that act would be considered piracy. We don't support piracy.
Not to mention those who downloaded wares often report downloading viruses.
Your wii should backup the correct file from your original disk.

OP
W

Wally123

Aspie
No there is no such thing as a GameCube "ROM"...I omitted the obvious warning but here goes.

If you are downloading GameCube disc images, it is definitely illegal to do that. It isn't however illegal to make your ow backups...which is what this post was about. The app mentioned contains no image files but does contain a tool to convert your GameCube backup image from GCM to ISO image format. Dolphon doesn't read GCM format so it is quite useful.

- - - Updated - - -

A warning to the wise.

There is no such thing as a GameCube ROM, if there was and you downloaded it; that act would be considered piracy. We don't support piracy.

Thanks for helping remind people this isn't a ROM I'm talking about :)

- - - Updated - - -

A warning to the wise.

No there is no such thing as a GameCube "ROM"...I omitted the obvious warning but here goes.

If you are downloading GameCube disc images, it is definitely illegal to do that. It isn't however illegal to make your ow backups...which is what this post was about. The app mentioned contains no image files but does contain a tool to convert your GameCube backup image from GCM to ISO image format. Dolphin doesn't read GCM format so it is quite useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for helping remind people this isn't a ROM I'm talking about.

Clements

GCM images of Gamecube games that are floating around the internet are ISO images with the extension renamed. That is if that haven't been tampered with, of course. Dolphin supports either alongside a whole slew of other file types.

OP
W

Wally123

Aspie
GCM images of Gamecube games that are floating around the internet are ISO images with the extension renamed. That is if that haven't been tampered with, of course. Dolphin supports either alongside a whole slew of other file types.

You cannot simply just rename it and change the file type extension as ISO.
In terms of backup for any optical disc or cartridge, each backup system has its own naming system that uses specific memory addresses in the hierarchy.

Toasty

Sony battery
I spent a few months and wrote this utility to convert GCM to ISO:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
mv "$1" "${1%.gcm}.iso"
Only works on Unix-like systems and there are probably lots of bugs to iron out, but I will work on squashing them and porting it to Windows! I'm also working on a new feature that will convert ISO to GCM!

Sorry... I be tired and a little cranky today. :p