What's new

Need help - Mupen64 only runs .n64 files

DougOSU

Hi all,
I am new to emulation. I have Mupen64 Plus on my Galaxy tablet, and it runs most roms with .n64 file extensions perfectly. However, when I try to run some roms (especially other formats like .v64 but also some .n64 files too) I just get a black screen with the virtual buttons but nothing else showing up. This happens with BattleTanx and BattleTanx Global Assault, for example.

Do I need some sort of codec or other application to help these files run?

Thanks in advance for any help.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Rename .v64 to .n64
Those games don't run correctly on computers so getting them to run on a tablet would be near imposable.

OP
D

DougOSU

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried that but still not working :( Any other possible fixes?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
As I said before I wouldn't count on these particular Roms running correctly. They were always buggy for me plus I never got into playing them. :p

On my first attempt to rename BattleTanx.v64 I inadvertently named it to (BattleTanx.v64.n64) that won't help you very much I'm afraid.
Try renaming the file again using this method.

There is a plugin called GlideN64 that is in the works that may render the video correctly, if that is the issue, however the plugin is still in the beta stages.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

The problem is propably that the ROM is Byteswapped (V64) instead of Big Endian (N64, Z64). In this case just changing the extension will not help. Download this and convert your ROMs to Big Endian (if on a cellphone, transfer your ROMs to your PC, convert them, and transfer them back).

Also be aware that by donating to GLideN64 you are not buying software. What you get is an early preview of in-development software, as a bonus for your contribution. Plus I don't think it would work on Android at this stage.

OP
D

DougOSU

OK, I will try those recommendations too. THanks again for all the help.

Now I am having more trouble even with the .N64 roms. Luckily all the classics are running (Mario 64, MarioKart, etc) but I am having trouble with Resident Evil 2. I just get a flashing white box when I try to run it. Might have to settle for the PSX version...

V1del

The file extension/ byte swaps don't matter. It's those particular games that have problems. Which version of mupen are you running? The latest mupen64plus ae from the playstore? To the best of my knowledge Battletanx issues are fixed in master with the opcode hack. I don't know at which state mupen64plus AE's build (or the state of Ari's recompiler in general) on the play store is, but you may have a better chance playing with more recent builds or retroarch (afaik latest version of retroarch in app store should have the relevant fixes). If you don't want to switch builds for some reason, check if there is a counterperop Option somewhere and set that to 3. Also play around with the available graphic driver options like switching to glide2gles from rice or similar

Resident Evil 2 is another can of worms which needs LLE, and if it runs at all it most likely will run very slow.

Last edited: