What's new

GLideN64 Widescreen

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
GLigeN64

Many people ask me: is it possible to implement the "widescreen hack". They mean the "Adjust game aspect ratio to match yours" feature of Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 plugin which enables widescreen mode for games, which don't intended to run in widescreen. Since this feature is a hack, it does not work with any game. You may check a compatibility list. I was unsure how it works, so I didn't promise that it will be implemented in GLideN64. Recently I got an idea how to make that feature and did a quick test. Check the result:

Screenshot
normal 4:3 screen

Screenshot
16:9 aspect with the hack enabled

The hack is applied only to 3D objects, don't pay attention on stretched sprites.
As I can see, proportions of 3D object remained correct. To be sure, I open wide screen shot in Paint and lay normal screen shot over it:

Screenshot

It fits pretty well.

Now back to the question: is it possible to implement the "widescreen hack"? It depends. The screen you see is not from beta, it's even not a work in progress. It is an experiment, pretty successful as I can see. I need time to complete it. Time is money. The project collected 8K funds and I'm overloaded with works planned to implement for these money. "Widescreen hack" is among tasks, which will be done with 10+K funds. BTW, another 10+ task, "port to Apple Mac OS X" is almost ready. You still can support the project - the more time I can work on this project, the more complete the result will be.

Originally Posted by gonetz at 2:37 PM

Donate

Last edited: