What's new

Can't boot into DC games and sound warped

XZL

I've tried playing Maken X, Sword of The Berserk: Gut's Rage and Blue Stinger, but have had nothing but problems.
Every time I try to run a DC game, it only boots into the CD player. The Dreamcast system boot screen has awful distorted sound as well. I managed to get one .gdi version of Maken X to boot, but the audio was warped. I don't understand why this emulator isn't working for me, since I can play these games in NullDC just fine. Is my computer simply not powerful enough for this emulator, or am I doing something else wrong?

PC specs:
Win 8.1 64 Bit
Intel Core i5-4200U 1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.60 GHz
4GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4400

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If a game boots into the internal CD player, the CD image is most likely corrupt or not selfbooting. As for why there's distorted sound, I can't really say. Do you have an integrated sound chip? Are its drivers up to date. Could it be an issue in Windows 8? (a long shot I know.)

What version of Demul are you using? Which GDR plugin are you using?

OP
X

XZL

If a game boots into the internal CD player, the CD image is most likely corrupt or not selfbooting. As for why there's distorted sound, I can't really say. Do you have an integrated sound chip? Are its drivers up to date. Could it be an issue in Windows 8? (a long shot I know.)

What version of Demul are you using? Which GDR plugin are you using?

I am using v0.5.8.2 with gdrImg.

The game images can't be corrupt because they boot up fine in nullDC. So for whatever reason they must not be selfbooting.

I have realtek high definition audio and it is up to date.

Windows 8 does not seem to be the problem.

OP
X

XZL

i received an explanation from a project member:

you can't play demul on this, it's low end ULV. a sound will be "distorted", because of slowdowns.

to run gdi games, you must setup region properly, or set it to autodetect
cdi games aren't supported anymore

I will stick with nullDC since it's more flexible/accommodating.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Ah yes, now I remember. The Demul dev(s) implemented a "forced stretch" to the sound output if the emulator cannot maintain a steady *full* framerate. Needless to say, you can't turn this option off. The sound distorts every time the framerate drops below the intended rate.