What's new

Playstation series Emulators with HD Texture support

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
Hi all, lets make 2014 and the start of 2015 a start of something special for HD textures and sprites for your favourite emulated games, although there isn't big a scene as N64 for HD textures, there are emulators out there that are just as capable, whether its built in, or with third party app's like everyone's favourite texture ripper and importer texmod and the new and improved umod.

Even though there has been no success so far with dumping and re-texturing PlayStation 1 emulation thankfully all is not lost, with psp and ps2 emulators getting more compatible and advanced.

Playstation 2

PCSX2
With the use of third party app's depending on plugin used (for current version of pcsx2 plugin's, i recommend texmod, although umod can be used, however due to compatibility may crash.
Textures may be dumped in a BGR format, and will require converting to RGB before they can be edited, this can easily be done with irfanview, which can also do batch conversions, and able to convert them back to use with the emulator.

PSP

jpcsp
From version v0.7 allows internal texture modding, however at time of writing, the textures can only be the same size as the original, however this is one of the most compatible PSP emulators and can only get better.

ppsspp
ppsspp now supports texture replacement from 1.3

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hopefully see some more added to the list in the near future, and updates to this guide.

Attachments

• gtpsp.png
    gtpsp.png
    259.9 KB · Views: 7,167
  • ppspp.jpg
    ppspp.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,519
Last edited:

Alo81

Woah, this is really cool! I was just looking this up the other day and nothing came up. I checked my phone today and Google Now linked me to this thread, awesome to see that there is some support for texture mods now! Thanks for sharing this info

OP
LyonHrt

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
Yep hopefully this will inspire people, and any questions feel free to contribute, heres another shot with some work on the megane for gran turisimo for psp :) running on ppsspp

Attachments

• gtpsp2.png
    gtpsp2.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 3,617
OP
LyonHrt

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
update due to ppsspp now supporting texture replacement without needing third party apps

OP
LyonHrt

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
i'll have a play and give results hopefully for the 1.2.3 release have a new forum to go with it (would love this forum to be the hub of all things emulator texture replacement!)

OP
LyonHrt

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
As you can obviously see, 1.3 of ppsspp has been released (skipped the 1.2.3 lol) so i hope you guys show off your work here, hey even i might join your team on a project if you ask nicely :)

OP
LyonHrt

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
i'll be updating this guide soon, but in case no one has checked, beetle core on retroarch now supports texture dumping and injecting, it is in very early stages and not for the faint hearted, however it has good compatibility (2D games seem to crash) some textures have the usual psx dumping issues, but this is based on the single game core for chrono cross which is fully compatible.

Quick usage guide
place the texture folder in the same folder as your iso/s
for multi disk games if you haven't already make a *.m3u file which lists all the cues
name the texture folder (iso or m3u name)-texture-dump for dumping and -texture-replacement

so for a game like chrono cross that has two disks, i would name the file chrono cross.m3u, then name the texture folders chrono cross-texture-dump and chrono cross-texture-replacement

Last edited:

jlnhlfan

Here's what I have set up for PCSX2. Unfortunately, I have not gotten the program to work, as even when I press the keys I assigned to the program, no textures ever get saved. I HAVE to be doing something wrong here. P.S.: I followed the steps that are listed in the first post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_January_26_2022_09_54_50_AM.png
    Screenshot_January_26_2022_09_54_50_AM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 0