What's new

Hey You! Pikachu - Possible HLE Implementation

ulao

Exactly what issue are you having?

All I need from that game, is the core developer to echo debug info from the raw data going out to the ports. Preferable with filters, so I can minimize the traffic.

Layman's. When the game sees the z button getting pressed (port 1), it sends a single to the VRU(maybe port 4, coudl be 2 or 3). That signal I need to capture.

It's possible however unlikely that the controller plugin will be enough. I think the plugins are inputs modules only and do not capture data going out from the game, hence the need to make a special plugin for the adaptoid.

Either way, we need a developer at this point. As far as development goes, later we will get it working with the idea mentioned earlier. Though first step is what data does the game send to the controller when z is pressed (voice capture mode) to initiate the voice recognition of the VRU.

Last edited:

ulao

Scratch that, in chance a developer came to me. He is going to continue developing pj64 and other projects with the 4-play in mind and was hoping for a sample to work with. I asked if he would help us and he said he was actually hoping to add VRU support anyways. He plans to use n-rage. The VRU will be working soon! I have a good feeling about this. More to come.

OP
F

Falkoner

Scratch that, in chance a developer came to me. He is going to continue developing pj64 and other projects with the 4-play in mind and was hoping for a sample to work with. I asked if he would help us and he said he was actually hoping to add VRU support anyways. He plans to use n-rage. The VRU will be working soon! I have a good feeling about this. More to come.

Awesome, glad things have worked out with that, and actually once we have N-Rage support I should be able to port the system over to Mupen64+ without too many issues, main problem for now is figuring out what the game expects to get back and such.

ulao

im sorry if im being rude but is this project finished and working yet???

No, it's ok, not rude. It is being working on behind the curtains. I encouraged everyone to post progress on the board here but they prefer email. Sadly the hurtles are with the game code and emulation so little work can be done on the actual adapter yet.

BushinBusoshoku

Hey all,

Just wanted to say I've been using PJ64 for over a decade now and no news on it has ever had me so excited as when my google search to see if anyone had figured out how to emulate the mic properly led me to this thread. Big ups to everyone here who's been working on the project. I can't wait to hear more on the progress of this project's development.

ss4gogeta0

I wanted to say congrats to both Falknor and the rest of the people involved with the microphone emulation. :tup:

Reading this really made my day as "Hey You, Pikachu" was a game I really enjoyed as a child. :satisfied

although I have a rather quick question, would there happen to be anything pertaining to the N64 microphone in the released N64 Devkit maybe? Not sure what the site rules are towards putting the link of the dev toolkit up since it is owned and copyrighted by Nintendo, but it would be great if it could sort of help with this project

image.prntscr.com/image/f0ad521f36bf4aed96058dfaee1145ce.png
image.prntscr.com/image/f5c7d8c30dfd415999de31bc66be25a8.png

{images would not post, so I had to resort in plaintexting them}

Last edited:

ulao

Most of the info from the kit has been talked about in various forums. I have the kit myself and it's of no help really (at least for my part in this). All I need is a dev that understands emulation. The key is what is in the game.

Think of it this way. There is a road and a car drives down that road carrying a box. The dev kit will tell you what the road is made of, its name, and age. It will tell you what types of cars you can drive on it with. It will also go in to detail about the car. As for the box, it only knows it contains something but that something is vague. Say in this case, a letter. The game knows what is on the letter but not the kit.

I need to know what is on that letter, once I have that we have communication from the adapter and can begin talking in the mic. Somewhere in the game code there is a string. This string tell the mic to listen for a word or sentence. To get the game to send that sting, you press the Z button. That is all there is to it at this point. Once we get that part understood we'll move to the next.

Again this is for my part in this, making the emulator work without the actual mic is not where I come in, nor do I have any interest in that. I would think you could use the built in speech engine and use that is a supplement but that is not my area of expertise. Though, I would think the same is needed, you still need to know when the game sends this code. At least I would think that is the case.

Last edited:

fuzzylips

I have been eagerly watching this thread for a year or so. Really hope you guys are able to get it working soon! Awesome work!

If at all possible, can we get a status update?

ulao

There are currently 4 members.

Me (Sean)
Daniel (via email)
Richard (via email)
James ( a new guy)

Both Daniel and James have been quiet for sometime. I think they both have knowledge with emulators. I mainly have been working on the device from the controller point of view. I can send it commands with my Bliss-Box adapter. The place where I left off was the command to record speech. I do not have the n64 console or ever played the game but from what I know you press Z to speak. When this is done in an emulator or real game, some command is sent to the unit. All I need to know is what command that is.

There are only 3 types of people that can get that info for me.

1) Someone that develops emulators, they should see this somewhere.
2) Anyone with the game console and an Logic Analyzer
3) Someone who already knows it ;)

I think 2 is the best option as I have exhausted 1 and there are no 3's. I eagerly await a reply.

ulao

Ok thx to James's findings progress has been made. Though we need to hash out some details.

first how is this going to even work? My plan (my knowledge about the VRU is limited)

Using player one on an emulator connect a n64 controller.
Using player 2 connect the VRU (assuming this is how it was done)
When the user presses Z on player one send a custom FFB command
My adapter will receive this unique command and wait for speech (x seconds)
Then using the HID buttons, display the code or codes. (I could read up to 4)<- is that enough?
The emulator then can read the button data.
If more codes are needed, and if Z is still pressed send a continuation command and read 4 more.

The FFB trick is best because no drivers will be needed. Yes it will be unique to my adapter but any other adapter can use the same trick, plus it's not like any other adapters out there use the VRU currently. If it catches on we could always find another solution. Most All n64 emulators use FFB already. My adapter already uses the custom FFB to received LCD data for dreamcast and what not so it's an easy way to get up to speed. Plus I plan to use that for n64 data transfers.

Comments please? Like I said, these are guesses on what I know.

Last edited:

tony971

Oh and it's not a matter of "press 'z' and wait for x seconds."

It's "listen as long as the player holds 'z' with a game-provoked listen timeout of x seconds."

ulao

Can any one confirm if the controller can be used when Z is held down? That is will any other controller buttons be responsive when Z is held down.

ulao

Ok I think we have a real shot at this but it will take a team.

1) I need someone with the game and an analyzer. (acquired). James, has been able to provide some much needed data. He even has the same analyzer I have so it's even easier.

2) Someone that can make changes in an emulator that supports force feedback. All that is required here, is to send a "custom" force. I can pride the details and you will need a Bliss-Box (I can also provide a test board). You will be able to send data to the Bliss-Box this way and receive data back. This will be the trigger pressed down and trigger released commands. Then you can just read the button data from the controller and received the hex code for the words. There will be a bit of back and forth but all in all pretty ease to get the hang of. The downfall here is this is only going to work with a Bliss-Box but only a Bliss-Box will support the VRU so it's needed anyways. The custom force will not interfere with any force feedback device as the commands sent are gibberish to them.

3) Beta testers. All you need is a Bliss-Box and emulators and the rom. I'm not sure if any emulators play the game or not?

4) Forum participation. Everyone in this thread has provides invaluable info and that is not to be over looked upon. This data will play a role and we have everyone to thank.

pikachuking

ill volunteer as a beta tester

Ok I think we have a real shot at this but it will take a team.

1) I need someone with the game and an analyzer. (acquired). James, has been able to provide some much needed data. He even has the same analyzer I have so it's even easier.

2) Someone that can make changes in an emulator that supports force feedback. All that is required here, is to send a "custom" force. I can pride the details and you will need a Bliss-Box (I can also provide a test board). You will be able to send data to the Bliss-Box this way and receive data back. This will be the trigger pressed down and trigger released commands. Then you can just read the button data from the controller and received the hex code for the words. There will be a bit of back and forth but all in all pretty ease to get the hang of. The downfall here is this is only going to work with a Bliss-Box but only a Bliss-Box will support the VRU so it's needed anyways. The custom force will not interfere with any force feedback device as the commands sent are gibberish to them.

3) Beta testers. All you need is a Bliss-Box and emulators and the rom. I'm not sure if any emulators play the game or not?

4) Forum participation. Everyone in this thread has provides invaluable info and that is not to be over looked upon. This data will play a role and we have everyone to thank.

i will volunteer although im new to some terms i do not know what a bliss box is but i can test various emulators and roms for best graphical quality for hey you pikachu i understand bliss box is either and adapter or code reader of sorts i have xbox 360 controller project 64 1.6/1.7 and can do my best in helping, i played hey you pikachu as a id but never finished it due to family troubles

ulao

This game will rely on two way communication. So in order to make it work with an adapter, you need to receive and send data. There are only two ways to do this.

1) Find a usb n64 adapter on the market that has it's own driver, call up the company and ask them to add support. They would need the info we are about to learn and then write the driver you you(us).

2) Use a Bliss-Box.

I'm also not sure what a bliss box is? Maybe it is a box that makes you really happy? I'm not sure why you are looking for that or how that would help here? Though it sounds a lot like Bliss-Box too me :p Any ways, if you google for "Bliss-Box" or "Bliss-Box adapter" you will have no problems find the adapter I speak of. This Bliss-Box has a built in API designed just for this sort of thing. Since option 1 is sort of out, I think 2 is the only chance we have.

Now if you do not wish to use an adapter and just get a mic using windows speech, you're on your own. I can not really help on that topic.

Last edited:

pikachuking

I tried to reply my phones wonky today lol i can get an adapter and i looked up the wrong word bliss box vs bliss-box 1 is metal weilding box and other is an adapter lol and ima also try and look for the actual pikachu mic since not everyone has a complete set some lose mics others lose the actual copy i may get lucky and it could be even more helpful to the research at hand