What's new

Hey You! Pikachu - Possible HLE Implementation

pikachuking

This game will rely on two way communication. So in order to make it work with an adapter, you need to receive and send data. There are only two ways to do this.

1) Find a usb n64 adapter on the market that has it's own driver, call up the company and ask them to add support. They would need the info we are about to learn and then write the driver you you(us).

2) Use a Bliss-Box.

I'm also not sure what a bliss box is? Maybe it is a box that makes you really happy? I'm not sure why you are looking for that or how that would help here? Though it sounds a lot like Bliss-Box too me :p Any ways, if you google for "Bliss-Box" or "Bliss-Box adapter" you will have no problems find the adapter I speak of. This Bliss-Box has a built in API designed just for this sort of thing. Since option 1 is sort of out, I think 2 is the only chance we have.

Now if you do not wish to use an adapter and just get a mic using windows speech, you're on your own. I can not really help on that topic.

hey so i found a few vru modules on amazon fairly cheap i plan to get ahold of 1 if it will help crack this case before i do make the order i need to know if it will make a difference since its 20 bucks im limited in funds so wasting money is not a good idea for me its got the origional n64 port end and ill be getting a n64 to usb adapter

ulao

Well things just got easier. I found a way to communicate with the VRU directly. Instead of interpreting the commands, I can just take the commands from the emulator and pass them along to the VRU. I have invented a new API for the Bliss-Box that can be used via command prompt. I'm a touch worried about latency but maybe ill have some success. The only missing part in this is a plug-in so that the emulator sends the raw commands. If anyone has info on this, let me know. More to come...

tony971

I have the game and a vru. My N64 is broken so they're not very useful to me. Who would benefit most from having mine?

zoinkity

I know this was already discounted as useless but for anyone interested, here's the breakdown of commands written to pifram and communication protocol, as well as the differences found in J and E units. Software-reversed, contains links to some command dumps, based on work from that crummy translation of a train game.

https://pastebin.com/6UiErk5h

Oh, and since it's easy to miss, a direct link to the sound indicies used in E units:
https://pastebin.com/ajLzRLze

Just as a note: testing precision within the device is finer than the results you get out of it, and some sounds are either identical to others or very nearly so.

Last edited:

ulao

So a bit of some eye candy. the new API for the Bliss-Box is ready. Here is an example of it working with the dream cast. I just happen to know how this one works.
It will not be too hard to make the vru communicate as well. Then I will release the source to the software that communicate thru the Bliss-Box. We can make a test app in windows and then bug a few n64 developers.

My immediate goal here is just to have the API send whatever the n64 game sends. So basically just a tunnel to the vru. Then the game can handle reply. The API can operate with in 2ms for sending and receiving. So this should be enough time to get all messages.

Last edited:

Ecksters

So a bit of some eye candy. the new API for the Bliss-Box is ready. Here is an example of it working with the dream cast. I just happen to know how this one works.
It will not be too hard to make the vru communicate as well. Then I will release the source to the software that communicate thru the Bliss-Box. We can make a test app in windows and then bug a few n64 developers.

My immediate goal here is just to have the API send whatever the n64 game sends. So basically just a tunnel to the vru. Then the game can handle reply. The API can operate with in 2ms for sending and receiving. So this should be enough time to get all messages.

You may not want to reinvent the wheel (although it'd be great to see multiple hardware vendors offering this functionality): https://github.com/raphnet/pj64raphnetraw

Here's the video of me playing with the VRU and the Raphnet adapter:

The lagginess and bad audio in the above video were resolved, you just have to disable Fixed Audio Timing in the latest PJ64, and the other stutters are actually related to the Input plugin and VRU being connected (they go away if I unplug the VRU). So the HLE implementation should resolve those stutters, and GLideN64 officially has implemented everything necessary to graphically run the game.

Last edited:

ulao

Oh interesting, my earlier code base was derived from raph's adapter. It looks like he changed the board layout and code but it is similar to the approach I will be using. I may be able to make the code work with his existing plugin. Good to know others are picking up on the idea. This is essentially a method of passing raw data to the game as I described above.

Fotomac

Great! I've been waiting a long time for this. I'm currently working on an up-to-date game configuration list for the N64, and I was hoping to include that game at some point. Nice to see it's finally playable to at least some degree!