Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    there is a demo in the N64 SDK with source using the VRU. May be it could help to develop a HLE solution.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I would love it if someone were willing to take that up, I do admit though that I'm really just a web developer who learned to code initially in C/C++, so reverse-engineering is outside my expertise I suppose that's why I'm going the brute-forcing route, since I'm not sure how to even begin actually understanding the VRU's functionality.

I tried looking at the SDK, but I could only track down the function calls in the Manual, but I would love it if someone more skilled wants to check it out. I honestly think the VRU response codes should be in the ROM if someone were to reverse-engineer it, and that would essentially take the VRU problem out of the equation and turn it into a software voice recognition issue, which I could potentially solve.
    Last edited by Falkoner; May 4th, 2015 at 21:34.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hey You, Pikachu! Mic Test

So I went ahead and built a dictionary for Hey You! Pikachu using PocketSphinx, it works pretty well (about as well as the original game did). Needs some tweaking for commonly used words and Pokemon names (Pikachu is hit and miss), but otherwise it's actually quite good.

Run the batch file and say any of the in-game commands into your mic to see if it properly detects it.

I just need to look into tweaking the dictionary to be more precise for certain words and stop it from attempting to find more than one phrase used at once. Of course, still needing someone to find the VRU output for each phrase to pair it with this setup.
    Last edited by Falkoner; May 5th, 2015 at 10:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It works decently well. Good job!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkoner View Post
    Wow, that's incredible! It's really good at voice recognition, but it also picks up environment noise as unrelated words, and it rarely registers "Pikachu" correctly...but whatever, I've waited years for a HYP! emulator, it's really crazy to see something like that and it's close enough.

Thanks for your work man, I don't know how soon you plan to continue work on this but it's really cool to see that kind of progress; for someone to potentially make that game playable for people without the VRU.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotCow View Post
    Wow, that's incredible! It's really good at voice recognition, but it also picks up environment noise as unrelated words, and it rarely registers "Pikachu" correctly...but whatever, I've waited years for a HYP! emulator, it's really crazy to see something like that and it's close enough.

Thanks for your work man, I don't know how soon you plan to continue work on this but it's really cool to see that kind of progress; for someone to potentially make that game playable for people without the VRU.
    Yeah, my hope is that by having this side of things essentially completed that people who are more skilled than me at reverse-engineering, or someone who owns an Adaptoid will take up the other side of the issue, communicating with the game itself.

I figure the original game likely also had major issues with background noise, but since you only turn it on right when you need it that should make it less of a problem, the issue is that it's currently trying to constantly detect phrases, and only does the output when it hears silence, that'll of course be different in the final implementation.
    Last edited by Falkoner; May 13th, 2015 at 20:34.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

u really need to link the hty with the game/ edit the roms code so u can type insted

Yeah, my hope is that by having this side of things essentially completed that people who are more skilled than me at reverse-engineering, or someone who owns an Adaptoid will take up the other side of the issue, communicating with the game itself.

I figure the original game likely also had major issues with background noise, but since you only turn it on right when you need it that should make it less of a problem, the issue is that it's currently trying to constantly detect phrases, and only does the output when it hears silence, that'll of course be different in the final implementation.
    it says it all in the tittle of this comment

- - - Updated - - -

like making a new rom.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You might find this useful http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=3583

Edit: you already knew about that... it was in the original post
    Last edited by tony971; September 25th, 2015 at 04:54.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I went ahead and built a dictionary for Hey You! Pikachu using PocketSphinx, it works pretty well (about as well as the original game did). Needs some tweaking for commonly used words and Pokemon names (Pikachu is hit and miss), but otherwise it's actually quite good.

Run the batch file and say any of the in-game commands into your mic to see if it properly detects it.

I just need to look into tweaking the dictionary to be more precise for certain words and stop it from attempting to find more than one phrase used at once. Of course, still needing someone to find the VRU output for each phrase to pair it with this setup.
    Any chance for a total idiots guide to setting this up for Project64? If not P64 is there a better emulator that I should be using?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This isn't implemented yet for use in any emulator, this is just the recognition groundwork that has nothing to do with emulation. Implementing support in an emulator is something that still has to be done by someone (and is likely to be an humongous task, so don't hold your breath)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast