Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoinkity View Post
    Text strings aren't sent to the VRU to initialize it. They send an encoded format that hasn't been completely decrypted. In fact, I think the people working on it were working with the Japanese unit first since it's better documented.

They have to send an encoded format to deal with combined sounds. In Japanese that would be vowel replacement, and in English that's vowel combinations (oo, ae, ie, a*e, etc.) and consonant combinations (th, ch, etc.). The unit does not have the logic necessary to do grammatical interpretation.

A first step is to determine where they ripped the strings from and their correspondance to data. Most likely these are internal notes, either for a debugging or just comments compiled in. They aren't a complete list of commands either. Where's "Sega"?
    Exactly, that's the idea, rather than try to decrypt the format, simply hardcode a list of words and their corresponding response that the VRU sends back to the N64.

Does anyone know how to get the uncompressed contents of the ROM?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No idea I'm afraid. Although I was thinking that maybe a different avenue might be to construct something like this -

http://www.pieter-jan.com/node/10

And attach a VRU to it to get the signals???

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Haven't written a decompressor for it yet. Busy with another project at the moment. Everything else is on hold.

You're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for a textual word list.
    If you want to avoid device initialization outright, just record the output packet on the SI from a real device when you talk into it. PC side, you'd only have to have a VRU detect a word and match the sequence against a dictionary of indicies.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Text strings aren't sent to the VRU to initialize it. They send an encoded format that hasn't been completely decrypted. In fact, I think the people working on it were working with the Japanese unit first since it's better documented.

They have to send an encoded format to deal with combined sounds. In Japanese that would be vowel replacement, and in English that's vowel combinations (oo, ae, ie, a*e, etc.) and consonant combinations (th, ch, etc.). The unit does not have the logic necessary to do grammatical interpretation.

A first step is to determine where they ripped the strings from and their correspondance to data. Most likely these are internal notes, either for a debugging or just comments compiled in. They aren't a complete list of commands either. Where's "Sega"?
    It seems very likely to me that the list is complete:

It was heavily rumored that, by saying things like "Sony", "Playstation" or even "Sega" into the microphone, you could get Pikachu to become mad. However, it appears that this is in fact an urban legend, as there is no indication in the data file that these words were supposed to be registered. The few registered cases of an Angry Pikachu were probably just caused by the game not understanding what was said, which in turn led it to just pick a random word similar to what was heard.
    Haven't written a decompressor for it yet. Busy with another project at the moment. Everything else is on hold.

You're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for a textual word list.
    If you want to avoid device initialization outright, just record the output packet on the SI from a real device when you talk into it. PC side, you'd only have to have a VRU detect a word and match the sequence against a dictionary of indicies.
    The existence of that other list and citations from other sources talking about reviews of the data files leads me to believe that a wordlist does indeed exist. At the very least, words in-game that are recognized are always highlighted in purple. The real question is if this wordlist also contains its corresponding VRU response code, or if that'll have to be compiled manually, as you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by dazey238 View Post
    No idea I'm afraid. Although I was thinking that maybe a different avenue might be to construct something like this -

http://www.pieter-jan.com/node/10

And attach a VRU to it to get the signals???
    You can just use an Adaptoid, no need to get the soldering gun out

I'm assigned to a massive project currently, but I should be finished around the end of February, around there I'll likely get started on this project, even if it means manually finding the codes. I already have the VRU, I'll just need to buy an Adaptoid and get coding.
    Last edited by Falkoner; November 24th, 2014 at 13:42.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bump?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony971 View Post
    Bump?
    Well, unfortunately getting my hands on a real Adaptoid is a lot harder than I previously imagined, so I've been pretty majorly setback by that

I would still love to see this, maybe I actually will consider soldering my own Adaptoid together That being said, if anyone on here has one and the Hey You! Pikachu VLU, they could definitely help out.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Didn't mention before, but the file compression is a headerless lzh, format 5.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Didn't mention before, but the file compression is a headerless lzh, format 5.
    Oh man, that is a major help! I unfortunately am terrible at reverse-engineering, and since there's no -lh5- header to find when I hex edit the file, I'm not sure how to go about decompressing the data. It appears to be byte-swapped, but that's not getting me anywhere, is there any way you could give me a few pointers to getting an uncompressed result so I can search the results for a string table?

I've got your Midway N64 Decompressor installed, but I'm not sure exactly how to use it on my .n64 file. I think making a file list is outside my skillset.

Interestingly enough, simply byteswapping it allowed me to find the original list of phrases that link had, they begin at the 000b0010 offset. My new list also includes the Pokemon names that were excluded from the previous one, so in total there are 640 commands in Hey You, Pikachu!, however, many of them are repeats for different pronunciations. Decompressing it, I'd like to see if there are any other near 640-sized arrays that could be the matching codes that can be received from the VRU.

Anyone who is interested in supporting this project, I'd gladly send them a VRU assuming they can prove that they will be able to move the project forward with it in some way.
    Last edited by Falkoner; April 7th, 2015 at 02:36.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just went through and made version of the Hey You, Pikachu! command list with duplicates merged, so it reduced the number of actual in-game commands down to 459. Just trying to get it ready for potentially having to brute-force the codes, and 459 isn't too many to deal with.

Still need to find someone with an Adaptoid to help me out though
    Last edited by Falkoner; April 7th, 2015 at 03:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, they are pretty pricey on ebay, and I'm sure the auctions are still difficult to win. Maybe find someone on the BST forums of a place like assemblergames or nintendoage?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast