Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Tux Video flickering/blinking?

I have a Aspire One ZG5 with linux mint 17, Cinnamon 2.2.13, 32bit, kernel 3.13.0-24-generic.
    CPU: Intel Atom N270, 1.60 GHz
    GPU: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express integrated
    RAM: 1.5 GB.

I installed mupen64plus from the software-installer-app thingy that's pre-installed on linux mint.
    And mariokart runs fine, but the video is flickering and blinking.

This is how i run mariokart in the terminal:

mupen64plus --resolution 1024x600 --fullscreen --saveoptions ~/Downloads/mariokart.z64

I get these warnings:

Video Warning: Failed to set GL_SWAP_CONTROL to 0. (it's 32)
    Video Warning: Failed to set GL_DEPTH_SIZE to 16. (it's 24)

The complete output from the terminal is available, but i can't post it because of new post limits on this forum.

Any settings i should add to the terminal command?

Thanks in advance

Fanatic 64
    Quote Originally Posted by turbolego View Post
    CPU: Intel Atom N270, 1.60 GHz
    GPU: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express integrated
    RAM: 1.5 GB.
    Yours is a 2005 low/mid end laptop (not bad for it's time, but way too old). It doesn't support the required OpenGL version
    (3.0, you have 1.4). You need a new PC to run an N64 emulator without those issues.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've run nintendo 64 emulators on this thing before without any problems, but i forgot which linux i used last time.

Any OpenGL 1.4 emulators for nintendo 64? Perhaps an older version of mupen64plus?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fanatic64
    None of the graphics plugins shipped with mupen need 3.0, glide64mk2 needs 2 at most.

@turbolego
    However it would be good to know what you actually support, there is a slight chance that your card supports up to 2 because linux drivers are better for old intels than on windows, can you post
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    in code-tags please? What you can try in the meantime is edit ~/.config/mupen64plus.cfg and play with the possible values under
    Code:
    [Video-Rice]
    # Control when the screen will be updated (0=ROM default, 1=VI origin update, 2=VI origin change, 3=CI change, 4=first CI change, 5=first primitive draw, 6=before screen clear, 7=after screen drawn)
    ScreenUpdateSetting = 1
    and see if it gets any better on a different value. alternatively you can switch graphics plugins with the --gfx switch e.g.
    Code:
    mupen64plus --resolution 1024x600 --fullscreen --saveoptions --gfx mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2 ~/Downloads/mariokart.z64
    which is prefered if it works, or
    Code:
    mupen64plus --resolution 1024x600 --fullscreen --saveoptions --gfx mupen64plus-video-glide64  ~/Downloads/mariokart.z64
    which is older but potentially more compatible with old GL
    Last edited by V1del; October 18th, 2014 at 11:56.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    @turbolego
    However it would be good to know what you actually support, there is a slight chance that your card supports up to 2 because linux drivers are better for old intels than on windows, can you post
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    in code-tags please?
    Sure thing:

Code:
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.0
    OpenGL extensions:
    I tried all the ScreenUpdateSetting values, from 1 to 7.

Interestingly, glide64mk2 was more laggy than glide64.

The result now is that it has actually gotten worse.

I changed the ScreenUpdateSetting back to 1 and i'm using the same old command as i did the first time:

Code:
    mupen64plus --resolution 1024x600 --fullscreen --saveoptions ~/Downloads/mariokart.z64
    But now the emulator runs at something like 800x600 and not like 1024x600.
    No more flashing and blinking, but heavy lag.

It was playable despite all the flashing and blinking before.

Here's the output of the terminal from yesterday, before i tried glide64 and the different ScreenUpdateSetting values:

pastebin
    .com/LyLBrfyJ

And here's one from today, after i tried these settings:

pastebin
    .com/rvtVUXjZ

Seems like i have to reinstall mupen64plus to get it back to non-laggy but flashy/blinking?

It looks like i'm stuck in glide64, and can't change back to OpenGL?

Can i specify OpenGL in terminal?

Something like this?

--gfx mupen64plus-video-OpenGL
    Perhaps even?

--gfx mupen64plus-video-OpenGL-1.4
    Last edited by turbolego; October 18th, 2014 at 14:45. Reason: more info

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    To switch back to Rice (which is the name of the graphics plugin, OpenGL is the graphics API which will be used regardless of plugin) you do
    Code:
    mupen64plus--resolution 1024x600 --fullscreen  --gfx mupen64plus-video-rice  --saveoptions ~/Downloads/mariokart.z64
    also, the change to the screenupdate option should've been tested with your original command (or with rice specified) as only rice is being affected by this option. So if you changed the numbers there and switched to glide, there would be no difference from this setting, so retry with rice set and check if the numbers make any difference (note: the settings can't be applied dynamically so you have to restart emulation when testing a different value)
    Last edited by V1del; October 18th, 2014 at 15:05.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V1del View Post
    To switch back to Rice (which is the name of the graphics plugin, OpenGL is the graphics API which will be used regardless of plugin) you do
    Code:
    mupen64plus--resolution 1024x600 --fullscreen  --gfx mupen64plus-video-rice  --saveoptions ~/Downloads/mariokart.z64
    also, the change to the screenupdate option should've been tested with your original command (or with rice specified) as only rice is being affected by this option. So if you changed the numbers there and switched to glide, there would be no difference from this setting, so retry with rice set and check if the numbers make any difference (note: the settings can't be applied dynamically so you have to restart emulation when testing a different value)
    Thanks!

I will try this when i get back home in a few hours.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Code:
    +

ScreenUpdateSetting = 2,4,5,6 and 7

=

Perfect gameplay! No lag, no flashes, no blinking!

gamemode 1 and 3 was blinking and flashing, 3 was the worst.

The 4 was by far the best setting, the least amount of glitches imo.

THANKS!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah it depends on game/graphics card which value is the best and 1 is usually correct for the majority of cases. Side info: after you've specified --saveoptions you don't need to mention them again everytime, if you start with just
    Code:
    mupen64plus path/to/game
    fullscreen resolution and graphicsplugin should already be set

Graphic programming enthusiast Narann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Code:
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.0
    I'm sorry to say that but you will have troubles in future versions of Rice as we broke OpenGL < 2.1 compatibility to share a common code between OpenGL and OpenGL ES (but it will not be released soon so don't worry too much).

I guess we will have to provide a "legacy" build of the old Rice for such hardware. Rice is quite mature, even on it's old OpenGL, and there is no reason to don't provide such build, even without support on it. I will keep this in my todo list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast