What's new

Anti aliasing with Glide64

ZeReLioN

Hi there.

Firstly, great community work here. I just have a question if anyone can help. So I've followed the guide and got all the high res textures working. Got some error in the middle but fixed it with a 4gb patch along the way.

What I haven't been able to find a solution for and google hasn't helped is how do you get anti aliasing with Glide64 plugin? It is available with the Rice plugin but that one has glitches and lags off the bat for some reason. Glide64 runs smoothly but doesn't seem to have any AA/edge smoothing options? They are just very jagged and distracting. Jabo has AA options also but can't utilise the community textures.

For eg if you look here on the hilltop it is clearly very jagged.
i.imgur.com/T0pmPdY.jpg

I am just wondering if I'm missing something or is there a better solution out there? Cheers.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Moved post to it's own thread.

Anti-aliasing is not an configurable option with in the currant version of Glide64.

You can however enhance how the textures are rendered by selecting a texture filter.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 3,048
Last edited:
OP
Z

ZeReLioN

I have tried both the smoothing and sharpening options, neither make a difference to the outside edges unfortunately.

I have gone back to try to tinker with the Ricevideo plugin to try and make it run smoother and without glitches but while it's loading the high res textures I get an exception now? I deleted the files in cache folder before I did this as a refresh.

5swBySF.jpg

I am using RiceVideo 0.3.0 release.

P.S. Out of curiosity what amount should you put in Texture cache in Texture enhancement tab with Glide64?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Z

ZeReLioN

Harking back to my original post, here is an example of the effects of no AA with Glide64. See the jaggies of the hilltop.

T0pmPdY.jpg

F

Fanatic 64

What's your graphics card? If it's AMD/Nvidia, you can force AA from the graphic drivers. If it's Intel, you're screwed.

OP
Z

ZeReLioN

Hmm, odd. You're using Project64 1.6, correct?
Have you downloaded the Visual C++ Redistributable Package?

I always have had it set to 300MB, not quite sure why it was ever coded to use less.

I am using Project 64 2.1, should I be using 1.6? And yea I have all the latest packages/runtimes/drivers/updates etc.

Thing is RiceVideo was the first plugin I tried with the high res textures and it worked the first time (albeit with glitches and extreme lag for some reason even though my pc is assuredly capable) but after going from Glide64 back to RiceVideo it's yielding the exception now. Odd.

What's your graphics card? If it's AMD/Nvidia, you can force AA from the graphic drivers. If it's Intel, you're screwed.

GTX 760. After applying settings it definitely has improved! Although it mainly just seems like a dark line through the edges to give it a subtle improvement - on close inspection you can still the jaggies but it is definitely playable now. This is on the highest settings - 32x CSAA and 8x supersample. Am I doing it right? Here is a screenie:

v1q4UeO.jpg

F

Fanatic 64

If you are using SSAA (Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing) you should disable all other methods of anti-aliasing since SSAA is highest quality while CSAA/TXAA/SMAA/FXAA blur the image.

death--droid

Your crashes in Rice (assuming when you go to load the texture pack in) is related to the duplicate checking code that I accidently broke. So currently if their is multiple copies of the same texture in the folder it will cause it to crash out.

OP
Z

ZeReLioN

If you are using SSAA (Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing) you should disable all other methods of anti-aliasing since SSAA is highest quality while CSAA/TXAA/SMAA/FXAA blur the image.

Hmm these are the settings I mentioned earlier. Is this correct for best AA since transparency is a different parameter to the setting?

ePGbUFa.jpg

Out of curiosity do most people here prefer P64 1.6 or 2.1?