What's new

zelda mm save issues

ceiber

Hello emutalk community,

i'm new to this forum, but have browsed every now and then in here. The problem i mention in my title is, that i'd like to use a save file from bizhawk in project64, but it seems that bizhawk uses a format which is not supported by project64. I tried to look for alternative solutions like converting or saving in the same format, but none of them worked for me. Maybe anyone could tell me how i may do this.

ps: please forgive me small mistakes (not the big ones pls correct me :) ) in my english language as i am from germany.

i'm thankfull for any solution to use the progress i have in my bizhawk zelda mm save or at least have a way to play it with the same progression in project64

AIO

You're talking about the actual save file and not savestate right? If so, then it should be possible. For starters, what size is the save file from bizhawk?

You should upload your save file so someone can see how to convert it.

OP
C

ceiber

thanks for your reply^^ im aware of the difference of native save and savestate and i want to import a native save from bizhawk which is in a .sram format and project64 uses .fla. i attached a 7z archive with both native saves from each emulator. .fla would be the target format for .saveRAM

Attachments

• Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (Europe).7z
    1 KB · Views: 98

AIO

It worked for me :satisfied . I just had to delete filler data. Your filename is Nico right? Do you have a hex editor? I'd like to teach you how do to this.

If you don't have a hex editor, I suggest you get one, like HxD.

Anyway, I might as well just attach the savefile. You should open up hex editor and compare the 2 files to see what I did.

Attachments

• ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK.zip
    692 bytes · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
C

ceiber

ok thanks. if i would just have looked inside the file i may have seen that by myself sry^^ but it's good to know that there are people like you who get to know things like that. my final question would be, what kind of things you'd like to teach me about hex editor?

AIO

I was going to give instructions on what parts to delete, but I had already deleted the original file. I didn't feel like redownloading so I just decided to upload the file you wanted.

Anyway, hexediting just requires knowledge & creativity. You just look for certain things and try editing, once you find something. Try to learn the features of a hexeditor so you can take advantage of it. HxD is not the best hex editor, but I really like it and it's free. There are some really good premium Hex editors though.

Basically what I did for this task was look at the save file that actually works. I paid attention to the top. Then when I compared it to the bizhawk save, I noticed the top was all filler (waste of data). Then i saw that the bottom was also full of filler so I trimmed that part out too.

Fortunately, zelda save files are somewhat documented, so you can actually hex edit some save data if you wanted :satisfied . Try googling if you're interested. I can't remember the websites.

I don't blame you for not being able to do this yourself. I just happened to be somewhat familiar with n64 save data.