What's new

Goldeneye running slow?

s1a917

Here are my specs:
Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU 2.60GHz 2.60GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I have a feeling goldeneye is running slow because of some settings rather than my specs. Here's why:
1. My specs aren't that bad (or are they for goldeneye? I don't know much about computers)
2. The game was working perfectly fine a month ago. Then I stopped playing for a month and when I started again today, it ran slow.
3. It runs especially slow during the least demanding times, like the main menu, the pause screen, etc, it actually runs almost perfectly during most in-game gameplay.
4. Other games like super mario 64 run fine, but others like mk trilogy don't? It's almost as if whats causing these games to be slow is independent and not correlated of their system demands.

Any Ideas? I've been trying a lot of things for a while now, I re-installed the project 64 and goldeneye, played around with the emu settings and have had no successes or improvements.

Thank you all!

AIO

You certainly have a good enough cpu. Only issue hardware wise would be temperature. First of all, what plugins are you using? That's usually a bigger factor in lag than the emulator itself.

What version of PJ64 are you using anyway? Also what fps are you getting when you see these slowdowns? Because the game itself lags at certain points, and the only way to eliminate it is to overclock n64/emulator.

OP
S

s1a917

I'm using the newest version of PJ64, but I have also tried older versions. I think I only have the default plugins. the fps is usually around 30 at slow downs at 60 at regular. The audio is distorted too at slowdowns.

AIO

Ok good, you're using a fast emulator. Idk what the default plugins are, so let me know exactly which plugins are you using.

In Pj64 2.1, click on options and enable this option called "Show cpu usage %". Then tell me the general results. I'm wondering if the slowdowns are caused by the game itself, or if your computer is actually not fast enough to run with your current setup.

Is your computer a laptop or desktop? I tend to get slowdowns in games, if I'm using a high demanding setup + overheating laptop. If I use something like 1964 Video, I never see slowdowns. I don't really play goldeneye though since my controller is broken and I wouldn't want to play it with a keyboard lol.

If it turns out that you are seeing slowdowns even though you have a significant %Idle, then that means the only way to fix it is to use an overclocked emulator.

OP
S

s1a917

Plugins:
Video:Jabo's Direct 3D8 1.7.0.57-ver5
Audio:Jabo's DirectSound 1.7.0.7
Input:Jabo's DirectInput 1.7.0.12
Reality Signal Processor plugin: RSP Plugin 1.7.0.9

I can't find the option for show cpu usage under options or settings. Would task manager work out to see cpu usage?
I'm using a laptop but I doubt the problem is heating because it starts lagging immediately and I never feel it overheating with goldeneye.

AIO

Plugins:
Video:Jabo's Direct 3D8 1.7.0.57-ver5
Audio:Jabo's DirectSound 1.7.0.7
Input:Jabo's DirectInput 1.7.0.12
Reality Signal Processor plugin: RSP Plugin 1.7.0.9

I can't find the option for show cpu usage under options or settings. Would task manager work out to see cpu usage?
I'm using a laptop but I doubt the problem is heating because it starts lagging immediately and I never feel it overheating with goldeneye.
Well, I doubt plugins are the issue then. For the show cpu option, you click on options, and it's right above Settings. Lol you can just click options and press the up arrow key twice :satisfied .

OP
S

s1a917

Oh I see, I just had advanced options hidden, I had to uncheck it before I could see cpu usage. During the slow times, r4300i is usually between 2% and 5%, GFX is 93-95%, Alist is 2-3%, and Idle is 0%.

AIO

Oh my bad, I didn't know it required advanced settings to be enabled.

Looks like the problem is gfx. Are you using HLE graphics? If so, idk what to tell you because Jabo is one of the fastest plugins. The only ones that beat it in speed are DX9 plugins (that are all plagued with Vsync, so fps dips below 60), and Rice Video. Idk how Goldeneye looks with Rice Video.

Try posting all of your video settings for Jabo, as well as the 2 rsp settings.

V1del

Some general things you might wanna check as well, is your laptop plugged in (this can be important, as some laptops throttle even if set to high performance while on battery) and set to high performance in it's power profile? If you have hybrid graphics, make sure to set pj64.exe to use the more powerful card (can usually be set in the driver's settings or by right clicking on pj64.exe)

OP
S

s1a917

Oh my bad, I didn't know it required advanced settings to be enabled.

Looks like the problem is gfx. Are you using HLE graphics? If so, idk what to tell you because Jabo is one of the fastest plugins. The only ones that beat it in speed are DX9 plugins (that are all plagued with Vsync, so fps dips below 60), and Rice Video. Idk how Goldeneye looks with Rice Video.

Try posting all of your video settings for Jabo, as well as the 2 rsp settings.

I'm not sure how to check if I have HLE graphics or not :s

I think these are my video settings:

Windowed Resolution: 640x480
Fullscreen Resolution: 640x480
Full Screen Sync: Copy Memory
Antisiotropic filtering: Off
Fullscreen Antialiasing: Off
Brightness: 100%
Aspect Display: Automatic
Super 2xsal textures: Not checked
Always use texture filter: Not checked
Emulation Tweaks: All not checked
Texture Dumping: Do not dump
Software rendering: Not checked
Force Legacy Pixel Pipeline: Not checked
Emulated width, emulated height, Direct 3d clear mode: default
over ride aspect, use direct 3d transform: not checked

I'm not sure where to find the 2 rsp settings :(

Also, what is your graphics card?
NVDIA GeForce GT 650M

Some general things you might wanna check as well, is your laptop plugged in (this can be important, as some laptops throttle even if set to high performance while on battery) and set to high performance in it's power profile? If you have hybrid graphics, make sure to set pj64.exe to use the more powerful card (can usually be set in the driver's settings or by right clicking on pj64.exe)
Yeap, my laptop is plugged in, and set to high performance. I wouldn't be inclined to think that performance could be the big issue, other games like Civ V and Skyrim work perfectly fine.

AIO

I'm not sure how to check if I have HLE graphics or not :s

I think these are my video settings:

Windowed Resolution: 640x480
Fullscreen Resolution: 640x480
Full Screen Sync: Copy Memory
Antisiotropic filtering: Off
Fullscreen Antialiasing: Off
Brightness: 100%
Aspect Display: Automatic
Super 2xsal textures: Not checked
Always use texture filter: Not checked
Emulation Tweaks: All not checked
Texture Dumping: Do not dump
Software rendering: Not checked
Force Legacy Pixel Pipeline: Not checked
Emulated width, emulated height, Direct 3d clear mode: default
over ride aspect, use direct 3d transform: not checked

I'm not sure where to find the 2 rsp settings :(
Strange, seems like your gfx settings are fine. For the 2 rsp settings, go to options, settings, plugins, and then you will see 2 checkboxes. 1 is for Hle graphics and the other is Hle audio. Make sure that HLE graphics is checked. At this point, I'll bet that it's already checked. It doesn't seem like you messed with the options. Default options should be ok (not the best, but not terrible either).

Are you running any programs that might hinder your performance? For instance, sometimes I get a few more VI/s after exiting programs I don't need to be running (like my browser).

Your hardware is certainly capable of playing in HLE at full speed.

OP
S

s1a917

Strange, seems like your gfx settings are fine. For the 2 rsp settings, go to options, settings, plugins, and then you will see 2 checkboxes. 1 is for Hle graphics and the other is Hle audio. Make sure that HLE graphics is checked. At this point, I'll bet that it's already checked. It doesn't seem like you messed with the options. Default options should be ok (not the best, but not terrible either).

Are you running any programs that might hinder your performance? For instance, sometimes I get a few more VI/s after exiting programs I don't need to be running (like my browser).

Your hardware is certainly capable of playing in HLE at full speed.

The HLE graphics is checked, and the HLE audio is unchecked.

I've tried closing all other applications before running, but its still slow.

I have a feeling it might have something to do more with the type of game it is (is there different types of n64 games?)
Super Mario 64 works perfectly fine, Mortal kombat trilogy doesnt, its as bad as goldeneye.
This also happens in my ps1 emulator, specific games, seemingly random games, run slow, whether they require high specs or not.

AIO

Lol i should play mortal kombat trilogy! Good game :satisfied .

You mind telling me what the profiler says, when playing the beggining of SM64? The area you first start at, just standing still. With the numbers you post, I may be able to determine the problem. Tell me r4300i%, GFX%, Alist%, and Idle%.

I'll try testing MK Trilogy sometime.

OP
S

s1a917

r4300i: 9%
GFX: 20-30%
Alist: 1-3%, stays close to 2%
Idle: around 60%

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, MK trilogy is great, sadly however, I'm usually not able to get a satisfying controller config layout for that game ( I usually play with a ps3 controller). I might look into getting one of those usb n64 controllers.

AIO

As I thought. The problem isn't your hardware or settings, it's simply the plugin. You see, one plugin can work really well for one game (or even parts of a game) and work bad for others. Prime example is Rice OpenGL. In some stages in Super Smash Bros, it performs well, while in others it performs really bad. Fortunately 1964 Video is superior.

Anyway, my suggestion is to try out other video plugins. Also, games like Goldeneye have a slowdown on the real n64, so you will need an overclocked emulator to run it at full speed at all times.

I wouldn't recommend a usb n64 controller. Be sure to look at feedback, before buying any controller. Honestly, I don't think ps3 controllers are bad for fighting games, although the dpad could use some work.

mendus

Hi, I have a NVIDIA GeForce 630M (slightly worse than yours) so I did some testing.

With both glide64 and jabo I get around 95% gpu usage at 1366x768 resolution in the main menu. Quite better in windowed mode when using Jabo's. During the beggining of the first course it is around 40%.

I also tested with integrated graphics. Ironically, it seems it uses slightly less cpu, specially in windowed mode.

It seems a demanding game. Where do you get the slowdowns? In the main menu or somewhere else?
Also, you didn't answer about Videls post on making sure you're using the NVIDA gpu. Are you using it? Try it if you have not.

Good luck.

Edit: I forgot to mention I tested Goldeneye.

Last edited:
OP
S

s1a917

I've found the problem! :) It was indeed the graphics plugin, I switched to glide64 and it's working great now. I also didn't realize I had to restart the emulator for the graphics plugin change to take effect. Thank you so much. It still gets a tiny bit jerky but it has rarely now and at unimportant times.

The only problem with the ps3 controller is that there are two less buttons on the right then the n64 controller, so I usually put the c buttons as the right analog (weird, I know), and most games work fine like that. For mk trilogy however obviously you need to use those buttons a lot, but I'm sure I'll find something better.

Mendus, I did get slowdowns in places like the main menu usually, just in case you were still wondering. And I also don't know how to check if I'm using NVIDA gpu.

One last quick question, it's ok if you guys don't answer, you have all helped me plenty. When I am in game, after a while the screen dims, like it would if I am away from it for a while. Except I'm using the ps3 controller actually. I usually just move the mouse every once in a while to keep it from dimming (and eventually going black) but its slightly tedious. Any quick fixes besides changing the computer settings to never dim? Again its not that big of a deal, I'm just happy goldeneye (and mk trilogy) is working.

mendus

You can check the gpu you are using in Control Panel -> Nvidia Control Panel. Alternatively, right click on the executable -> execute with graphics processor -> choose graphcis processor will take you directly.

There you can find a global configuration and a per program configuration, from where you can assignt GPU to programs and force enhancements wether the application wants to use them (or was designed to use them) or not.

Note that by default the integrated graphics are used because the power consumption is lower. It is best, I belive, to use the NVIDIA gpu only for programs requiring it, like videogames.

AIO

I've found the problem! :) It was indeed the graphics plugin, I switched to glide64 and it's working great now. I also didn't realize I had to restart the emulator for the graphics plugin change to take effect. Thank you so much. It still gets a tiny bit jerky but it has rarely now and at unimportant times.

Mendus, I did get slowdowns in places like the main menu usually, just in case you were still wondering. And I also don't know how to check if I'm using NVIDA gpu.
Mind = blown that you say Glide64 is faster! That's honestly the slowest functional hle plugin I've ever seen. I suggest you try UltraFast V3 emulator and overclock, for goldeneye. Well, that's great that Glide works good because honestly, that's the best HLE gfx plugin overall.
The only problem with the ps3 controller is that there are two less buttons on the right then the n64 controller, so I usually put the c buttons as the right analog (weird, I know), and most games work fine like that. For mk trilogy however obviously you need to use those buttons a lot, but I'm sure I'll find something better.
Lol what? If you use both analog sticks, I don't see how you don't have enough buttons. Ps3 has 8 buttons + dpad & 2 analog sticks. Don't forget that it's a hassle presing L on an N64 controller, when using analog stick.
One last quick question, it's ok if you guys don't answer, you have all helped me plenty. When I am in game, after a while the screen dims, like it would if I am away from it for a while. Except I'm using the ps3 controller actually. I usually just move the mouse every once in a while to keep it from dimming (and eventually going black) but its slightly tedious. Any quick fixes besides changing the computer settings to never dim? Again its not that big of a deal, I'm just happy goldeneye (and mk trilogy) is working.
I don't know what kind of computer you have, but for me, I right click the battery icon and go to power settings. Try looking in control panel, if you can't find it. Otherwise, google it. With power settings, you can adjust brightness, idle settings, cpu %limit, etc.