Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I would qualify that as hate. Though most stuff at Byuu's forum ends up like that.

Any chance you may remove that thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't make the thread at byuu's board.

Graphic programming enthusiast Narann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic 64 View Post
    I would qualify that as hate.
    A lot of peoples doesn't really laugh about open source and "code retention" is often assimilate as a crime in the FOSS community. From my POV the beginning of the N64 scene seems to always "worked" like this, when open source was considered like "I could use this code but everybody will stole my code if I put it back" (weird Windows mindset) instead of "we could do it together" as it's now.

I'm surprised there is still this old times animosity, specially that Gonetz put its plugins open source with a GPL license from MANY years now.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woa seems some people are getting naughty ...
    Last edited by olivieryuyu; August 14th, 2014 at 18:40.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    To be completely fair the reason so much of the scene was hush-hush was because they were using official documentation and/or tools and/or libraries. Distribution would have meant a C&D or lawsuit, and I happen to know more than a few people who received C&Ds. Even if wat you were working on really

Nintendo isn't as interested in N64 hackers now that there's less of a vested interest. Unlike the rolling lawsuits and import bans against Bung you can freely build and sell flashcarts on the open market. That said, the patents haven't run out so certain low-level things have to remain out of public sight while certain individuals claim the fifth.

There really isn't a problem with this whatsoever. Glide64 is, by far, the most compatible and remotely-accurate HLE plugin developed, and if it wasn't for Glide none of the other plugins would have ever bothered to implement the lower-level tri commands, framebuffer effects, or any combiner modes not found in Mario+Zelda.
    For the record I've had more than one person approach me about RSP dumps/disassemblies of the so-far missing microcode variations since last December. I don't know if it's related to this, but the timing is uncanny. Even if it isn't for Glide development, it's influencing more HLE development.

Mind you, I have a rather low opinion of HLEs but they certainly serve their purpose. For lower-end systems or hardware it's mandatory. To get one to the point that it is even remotely accurate to console would be a major achievement. Even Nintendo has struggled to do so and has had to make exceptions in their official, commercial emulation code and they spent a lot more than $6000 to write it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olivieryuyu View Post
    Woa seems some people are getting naughty ...
    The thread in Assemblergames...

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddMLan View Post
    The thread in Assemblergames...
    I honestly don't see the point of libretro complaining about gonetz retaining the open source code of GlideN64. As far as I could google, glN64 has been released as Open Source (stated on his website) but was never bundled with a license.

Thus, whatever license it might be, it by sure does not have a viral aspect like GPL because such a thing needs to be explicitly stated as copyleft. As Open Source neither means that it cannot be sold, nor necessarily that you have to distribute the source of your project with the binary if you use Open Source code, I think libretro is plain wrong with his accuses. (Apart from his horribly immature wording)

microdev

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Themaister
    Oh nice, another astroturf emutalker surfaces...

Maybe you should mention that you were actually dumb enough to donate more than $100 to this thing so that your obvious bias can shine through for everyone to see.

**** him for taking gln64, an open-source graphics plugin, closing it up, and then holding people ransom like this with paid betas, a ****ing $6K 'kickstarter' campaign, and a so-called 'commitment' to open-source that he at any time can go back on - or, hint hint, launch another $6K campaign before 'he can release the sources'.

You people are all so dumb for going along with this crap and even championing it on. None of you see the obvious precedents this sets and how it will negatively and adversely affect the scene for years to come, not to even mention possibly incurring the wrath of Nintendo.
    This was posted by Hans-Kristian Arntzen "Themaister", the creator of RetroArch. He also seems to hate the entire N64 scene, and took Toasty's comment quite literally. Yet another developer I lost my respect for.

Graphic programming enthusiast Narann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Weird you seen "Themaister" as his login. Me, I see "libretro".

Take what this guy say with tweezers. He just subscribe to answer to this post. Faking a login is easy so please don't make to hasty conclusions about who peoples really are.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's his official account on ASSEMblergames. Does he have an account on EmuTalk?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast