What's new

Audio v0.70 WIP 4 Feedback

F

Fanatic 64

What is Project64 1.4 AFE? I only know the official version and Kaillera.

Zapfy

Saving will be implemented soon as will a method to adjust the buffer caching. Please disregard RSP/HLE checkboxes if you are happy using the emulator's RSP to process audio. Those options will be going away. There is no point to disable HLE and I've removed RSP from the plugin. Some games do have a pop or crackle if the emulator isn't maintaining a constant 60 VI/s. If you can let me know what game is causing the most issues, I will put it on my list of games I use for QC (Quality Checks).

Thanks for the replies. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with the VIs and the popping. When it's 100% fine, the VIs are between 59.96-60.08 generally. Then suddenly the popping comes out of nowhere (no change in VIs), and may stop on its own or until I reset the emulator. Even if I do sometimes it still remains. I can't really find any consistency to when it happens. Sometimes it will pop every 3 seconds, other times just 1 pop and then it's flawless for another 30 minutes. I've only really played Super Mario 64.

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
I didn't notice any popping with PJ64 2.1 and the DS8 plugin. I did notice popping in PJ64 1.6, though. Tested using SSB and SM64.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Zapfy,

What OS are you using (32bit or 64bit), what sound (is it onboard?), are you using xaudio2 or directsound? I think those might give me an idea.

Also, I recommend going to rom settings and turning off Fixed Audio Timing and Sync using Audio if you haven't done so yet. I will play more of SM64 and see if I can hear something more than the intro.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I didn't notice any popping with PJ64 2.1 and the DS8 plugin. I did notice popping in PJ64 1.6, though. Tested using SSB and SM64.

DSound is flawed in my plugin and needs a rewrite. I left it in because it uses a "streaming" mechanic that reads data from RDRAM on demand rather than instantly DMAing the audio buffer. This has produced mixed results and will become a toggle option in the future. My efforts have been overwhelmingly on XAudio2 since DSound is an inferior API for what I am doing.

emusa

Thanks for this great plugin, truly awesome work! I use it together with Project64 2.1.0.1 and Glide64 and it's a perfect combination.

I haven't tried the WIP 4 version; will get back to you with my experiences.

One thing I did notice (with the previous WIP) is that your plugin doesn't seems work as well with 1964 Ultrafast V3 of 1964 V1; for example with Conker I get distorted voices. I don't have this problem when using PJ64 though - so it must be a compatibility issue with 1964..?

Last edited:

Zapfy

Zapfy,

What OS are you using (32bit or 64bit), what sound (is it onboard?), are you using xaudio2 or directsound? I think those might give me an idea.

Also, I recommend going to rom settings and turning off Fixed Audio Timing and Sync using Audio if you haven't done so yet. I will play more of SM64 and see if I can hear something more than the intro.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, the sound is onboard, XAudio2. I couldn't turn off any audio timing or sync in 1.6. I don't think it has those options? I turned them off in 1.7 and I think I still got the popping. Also how do I get this to work with 2.1? I put it in the plugin/audio folder and it doesn't pick it up like the rest of my plugins?

emusa

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, the sound is onboard, XAudio2. I couldn't turn off any audio timing or sync in 1.6. I don't think it has those options? I turned them off in 1.7 and I think I still got the popping. Also how do I get this to work with 2.1? I put it in the plugin/audio folder and it doesn't pick it up like the rest of my plugins?

Okay, here we go :)

1)
You can find the audio timing/sync options in PJ64 as follows:
- go to "options", "settings" and then "option". Untick the "hide advanced settings". Click apply and OK.
- then right-click on a rom in your list and select "edit game settings". Under "config" you can now untick "fixed audio timing" and "sync using audio". Also, change "Counter Factor" to 1 - most games run way smoother with it.

You have to change this for EVERY rom individually.

2)
That's weird.. because o get the audio plugins to work in PJ2.1, just put the dll's in the plugin/audio folder of your PJ64 folder. They should pop up. Make sure you have the .dll files in the audio folder.

Zapfy

1. You have described to me how to do it for 1.7/2.0/2.1. Not 1.6. I don't think you can.

2. I'm doing that and it's not showing up. I'm trying to get xAudio2 to show, not DSound. I haven't tried dsound for 2.1 cause it didn't work well. in 1.6.

emusa

PJ64 1.6 doesn't work with separate folders inside the plugin folder. Just put the dll's in the plugin folder - that's it. Works like a charm.

Zapfy

Well I got this to work on 2.1. I just forgot to move msvcr / msvp files to the folder like i did with 1.6. But the audio popping is still there :c

F

Fanatic 64

What version of Visual Studio are you compiling this with Azimer?

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Well I got this to work on 2.1. I just forgot to move msvcr / msvp files to the folder like i did with 1.6. But the audio popping is still there :c

With Xaudio in 2.1 ? What game and how many VI/s? Are both rom specific audio settings disabled? Thanks!

For future discussions, I am really only supporting xaudio2 since the dsound code is going to be rewritten. The crackles are there because of test "streaming" code (getting audio from rdram on demand... it isn't working out as well as I'd like for non-boss games).

Zapfy

With Xaudio in 2.1 ? What game and how many VI/s? Are both rom specific audio settings disabled? Thanks!

For future discussions, I am really only supporting xaudio2 since the dsound code is going to be rewritten. The crackles are there because of test "streaming" code (getting audio from rdram on demand... it isn't working out as well as I'd like for non-boss games).

Yes XAudio in 2.1. Super Mario 64 with 60 VI/s. Both audio settings are disabled. Try playing for a little while and you might encounter some popping.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Yes XAudio in 2.1. Super Mario 64 with 60 VI/s. Both audio settings are disabled. Try playing for a little while and you might encounter some popping.

I noticed one area where the audio paused for a moment and that was saving my game but it seemed like emulation as a whole paused for me for a brief moment. I will keep this in mind but unfortunately if I don't run into an issue myself I am going to have a heck of a time fixing it. How is the quality overall? Is it just occasionally or does it happen fairly often?

melchoir

Guru of Reason
I haven't had time to review the plugin yet but....
any chance you could add back a change log text file again? thx ;D

turns out I had an ancient v0.60 build of your in my Emu storage folder

Zapfy

I noticed one area where the audio paused for a moment and that was saving my game but it seemed like emulation as a whole paused for me for a brief moment. I will keep this in mind but unfortunately if I don't run into an issue myself I am going to have a heck of a time fixing it. How is the quality overall? Is it just occasionally or does it happen fairly often?

I think I kind of found out why it happens. It only seems to really happen when I livestream. When I do this, I have to open a few programs and what not, and my computer isn't great (However It still runs at 60 VI/s). Recently however it hasn't been popping at all, which is good. But when it starts, I can't really seem to stop it.
Do you think running in Windows basic mode / Using game or window capture in OBS with the emulator would have anything to do with it?