What's new

A Majora's Mask screen tearing issue that has plagued me for too long

Nightly

So, I know most N64 games aren't natively supported for 16:9, but I still like to mess around with it every once in awhile. Some games fair better than others when it comes to it, Majora's Mask and OOT are some of those. I've seen videos of people playing MM in widescreen with very little issues so I figured I'd do so as well. However there's one issue related to this that only I seem to be experiencing and it's hurting me physically (ok not that bad but still).

I usually see it in cutscenes with blurring but the person in the Youtube link below does not have it at all. I wanted to ask them but they haven't been active in a year so I doubt I'd get an immediate answer.

The plugin I'm using at this moment (and with Project64 2.1) is Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.57-ver5

I tried using 1.6 and got the same result, any tips on setting it up to have it near flawless like the person in the video below would be wonderful.

(5:17 is usually where it happens for me if I'm playing) - Here's a video of a random playthrough I saw that has someone playing the game without the issue mentioned above (pictures of problem below in the attachments)

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 3.png
    3.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 1.png
    1.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

In the graphics plugin options, set Full Screen Sync to "Triple Buffer vsync".

OP
Nightly

Nightly

In the graphics plugin options, set Full Screen Sync to "Triple Buffer vsync".
It's still making that split with the triple buffer, it also does it in 4:3 even if I'm not using the "override aspect ratio" to make it widescreen.

Edit : I just installed Project64 2.1 on another PC and I'm getting the exact same issue with everything on default settings while it's in window mode, my sadness is at an extreme level now ; _ ;

Edit 2 : Let me throw in some specs from the laptops, maybe it can help with narrowing what's causing this problem

PC 1 : Toshiba Satellite L875

Graphics : AMD Radeon HD 7670M
Processor : Intel Core i7-3630QM
RAM : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

PC 2 : Asus G73JH

Graphics : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Processor : Intel Core i7 720QM
RAM : 6GB DDR3 1066 MHz

Edit 3 : Just tried it again normally, not setting up anything (Defaut), with Project64 1.6 with an english and euro rom.....same screen tearing frustration as shown in the photos above. Just to reiterate, it happens during the scene with the giants, or any cutscene with that blur.

Edit 4 : I just asked another friend to try it on his pc (linux) using Wine, and he doesn't get the diagonal screen tear at all. I also forced Vsync on both graphics settings of each laptop...but to no avail. My issue remains.

Last edited:

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Have you tried using a different graphics pluggin? I mean, besides the ones from Jabo.