What's new

For those who always wanted to have High Rez textures on the PSX guess what?

Cyberman

A russian programmer (persistance pays off) has a GPU plugin that does JUST that.
Link to the interesting.
It's mostly in Russian (sorry) but some of it is in english. Appears Xenosaga and several other popular games (Alundra) work.

Cyb

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

I did not saw anything about custom high rez textures

The plugin works similarly too the N64 that allow HR textures. So I assume you can figure out how to do that.
The author is Russian I didn't see a link to grab the plugin however (not that I could use it as I run Linux).

Cyb

Last edited by a moderator:

Toasty

Sony battery
That's awesome! Now all we need is some ingenious way to overcome the PSX's funky vertex rounding and playing on high res will be a real treat. (Aside from the low poly models, but that preserves the nostalgia. :p)

F

Fanatic 64

Oh yeah, perspective correction too. Through I read somewhere that perspective correction for PS1 would require HLE, which would have to be implemented on a game-per-game basis.

GPDP

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the most current release of the plugin does NOT yet allow for hi-res texture loading. The author has posted some screenshots of upcoming features, but there have not been any actual updates for a long time. I personally stopped caring and just play the games as they are without troubling myself with "enhancements".

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

I did some experiments a while back with HR texturing vertex correction and perspective transformation.

The biggest issue with trying it I found was that you had to use back referencing to manage the textures.

Think of the texture data as a virtual plane of pixels of varing BPP and palettes. What most authors did was to create plan and rendered the textures based on the GPU codes used into that plane. Afterwhich they performed various resolution enhancement techniques.

The flaw in this is that all GPU commands are 2d and that all the data is translated from 3d to 2d in the GTE, which is not part of the GPU plugin. So the relevance of what the texture was pasted too is lost along with the 3d data as soon as the GTE is used.

The only way to overcome that is to use the GTE and associate the texture data with the 3d data that's being piped to the GTE and out to render using the texture. Then generate the 3d data (IE normal draw list) and create tags for the relevant output data. At that point you can texturrize the information as long as you have the correct tag ID. Making the ID was really hard part as the palettizing of texture data allowed the PSX to use the same texture multiple times.
The interesting thing is most PS1 games did NOT use that feature even when the textures of objects were identical most games used the library supplied by Sony and ... little optimization occured. Square soft games are the exception in this case (FF7 and Vagrant Story both used this feature a lot it seems).

Cyb