What's new

Well, I won't do that again...

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Today I decided it was a good idea to clean up my old desktop by backing up my 20+ GB's of data; you name it I had it archived, anyhow I backed it all up to my portable 1TB drive.
After the data was safely transferred I formatted the old disk I won't be needing that anymore; I thought, then proceeded to view the documents on my laptop in bed.
I found original texture packs, old game pad controller drivers, and not less then a few hundred happy memory's of family and co-workers.
These fond moments all lasted up until I stretched my leg and dropped my foot...

Have you any idea how much a Hard Drive screams when it's in pain?
I will just sum this post up with a most fitting image that express my feelings.
attachment.php

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Dude that absolutely sucks! I once backed up 8 GB of stuff into my USB, reinstalled Windows, and when I went to copy back the data my USB just decided to quit. Also lost a collection of family photos there.

Hey, if you still have the old hard drive, you should connect it to another computer, and MAKE SURE NOT TO WRITE ANYTHING TO IT. Download or buy a data recovery software (I would recommend the free Recuva) and see if you can recover the files from it. If you just did a Quick Format and didn't reinstall the OS, there's a good chance you will be able to recover most files.

It sounds like the 1 TB drive physically scratched the platter. You most likely won't be able to recover any data from it.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
The drive was not recognized by Windows nor EASEUS Partition Master.

Recovery is not an option as I tore into it for both scientific discovery and emotional satisfaction.

The under side of the first of the three looked as if it was inspired to become a 3" LP which is a good thing as my hammer was not very kind to her...

Does anyone know how much a pound of aluminum and a few ounces titanium scraps for? 'Joking'

F

Fanatic 64

...You wrecked BOTH hard drives?

Forget about it, pal. And next time don't "securely erase" a hard disk until you have your data safe where it can't be destroyed by a fall.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you were suggesting that I try to recover the rock polisher.
No, the host drive is still good but it has been wiped, I will have to try that recovery software.

Yeah, this was defiantly not planed out right.

Toasty

Sony battery
I feel your pain. I once made the mistake of using a 160 GB drive I'd been using on Windows XP SP2 with a machine running Windows 2000 (no service pack). Prior to SP3, Windows 2000 did not support 48-bit LBA, meaning it wouldn't see beyond the first 137 GB of the drive. It actually proceeded to mount the partition with no complaints and act normal and I didn't even notice anything was amiss until a few days later, at which point the file system was completely broken. Lots of data lost, but oh well, live an learn. You never think you'll need a backup until you do.