What's new

Hacks for World Driver Championship?

asiga

Hi,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to modify any of the drivers so that World Driver Championship would work. If the modifications are clearly explained somewhere, I can recompile it myself.

AFAIK this game uses some custom ucode that makes it fail with standard drivers, but I remember somebody did a hack for z64gl on Windows... I just wished to be able to do this with Mupen64Plus in an open source way...

F

Fanatic 64

By drivers, do you mean in-game models, or graphic card drivers?

If it's the first one, it's not possible yet. If it's the second one, that has nothing to do with the ROM. And neither are the reason why the game doesn't work in most emulators.

OP
A

asiga

By drivers, do you mean in-game models, or graphic card drivers?

If it's the first one, it's not possible yet. If it's the second one, that has nothing to do with the ROM. And neither are the reason why the game doesn't work in most emulators.
I obviously mean the emulator gfx plugin (ie: glide, rice, etc...). I think it must be possible because, if you search for it, you'll find somebody released a patched version of z64gl for one of those closed-source Windows emulators, which allowed World Driver Championship to run (search for z64gl zerolodfrac by Angrylion, and you'll see).

There's a video showing Angrylion results with World Driver Championship here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2arH65zLw

Do you think the instructions he gives in that video can be done in Mupen64Plus? If affirmative, how should I proceed?

Last edited:

dsx

There are mupen64plus versions of z64gl gfx and rsp (idk where compiled versions are, but the sources are on github) but I'm not sure that mupen64plus will run the game, maybe it does

V1del

I obviously mean the emulator gfx plugin (ie: glide, rice, etc...). I think it must be possible because

No. That is and won't be possible those are all HLE plugins and WDC absolutely requires LLE because its uCode can't be replicated in HLE.

Plus there are other issues that come into play and mupen64plus probably has some core differences which make the game unbootable in the first place

OP
A

asiga

No. That is and won't be possible those are all HLE plugins and WDC absolutely requires LLE because its uCode can't be replicated in HLE.

Plus there are other issues that come into play and mupen64plus probably has some core differences which make the game unbootable in the first place
If you read my messages, you'll notice I referred to z64gl, which _is_ a LLE plugin. So, I repeat my affirmation: if the Angrylion sources are available and they could be easily merged into the z64gl source from Mupen64Plus, it should be possible to run WDC.

F

Fanatic 64

WDC absolutely requires LLE because its uCode can't be replicated in HLE.
Correction, it requires LLE because it's graphics microcode hasn't been replicated in HLE. That doesn't mean it's impossible, it's just that nobody does microcode reversing and implementing these days.

Same deal for the Factor 5 games.

V1del

I'm aware that it is theoretically possible but if even gonetz says he isn't gonna do it then chances are really slim, but you never know
[MENTION=100956]asiga[/MENTION]
If you read my message, you'll notice that I never denied your knowledge of the existence of Z64, merely stated that it's close to impossible to do anything with the HLE's you mentioned. And I'm pretty sure that mupen64plus dies before even getting to render anywhere, which would not help when trying to incooperate angrylion's changes. (Afaik WDC did work on PJ64 before his patch, the graphics were ****ed but it booted on PJ64)

EDIT:

The needed patches have already been experimented with by Richard, but he didn't get really far.

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plu...Status Priority Stars Milestone Owner Summary

Last edited:
OP
A

asiga

It's sad that n64 emulation progresses so slowly. Btw, what's the status of the z64 plugin from the source repository of Mupen64Plus? I mean, do all games that work with HLE plugins also run with Z64? I'm very interested in LLE because I dislike high-resolution rendering of PAL/NTSC games, I prefer to play them at the original resolutions they were designed for.

V1del

They should, but the only way to know for certain is to test, it can be a tad unstable sometimes. You could also set HLE plugins to that resolution if it's all you care about (glide64mk2 you can set the aspect=-option to 3 then it will output in native res), you may be better off trying MESS/CEN64 resp. angrylion's pixel accurate plugin (currently directdraw based and for PJ64, but shouldn't be that hard to port). BTW there hasn't been so much activity as in the last 2 years for a while, so things start to look brighter.

EDIT:

https://github.com/libretro/mupen64plus-libretro/pull/90 :)

Last edited:
OP
A

asiga

BTW there hasn't been so much activity as in the last 2 years for a while, so things start to look brighter.
Yes, that's right, but however the bad luck in N64 emulation is that it's one of the most complex consoles to emulate and at the same time N64 emus developers are among the busiest men in the planet (they don't have much spare time, so N64 emus progress is quite intermittent)

That's great!!! I'll try to compile it and see if it works