Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: GB Enhanced

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I see that you now have implemented your sprite dumping and bg dumping to gbe+, are you going to include gba support, and any of the improvements discussed here?

https://twitter.com/thejoypad for news posts from emulation64, and my own personal projects. Follow me!
    HD NES packs for hdnes and mesen

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    No, GBA dumping is going to be a lot more complicated than GB or GBC dumping. The trick is coming up with a reasonably fast way to hash sprites and BG graphics without killing performance (although GBE+'s GBA performance is abysmal as it is...) I'm going to look at how other emulators hash things. For the GB/GBC, it's simple enough since you're only messing around with an 8x16 sprite at most with 4 colors. The GBA, however, could have all kinds of sprites (with 255 visible colors).

GBA custom graphics is something I want to work on later. For now, I'm just trying to make GBE+ on par with the old project (well, better once the GUI is finished).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sounds good so far, and yeah i didn't think gba would be easy in that department, a lot more going on, yeah can't wait to try out good luck!
    https://twitter.com/thejoypad for news posts from emulation64, and my own personal projects. Follow me!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hows the progress doing, have you done a windows build yet, i'll have to get around to compiling it to try it out

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Sorry, no Windows build yet.

I get side-tracked based on whatever takes my interest at the time. It's been all over the place, from Custom Graphics (aka tile replacement), GBA compatibility, GBC compatibility, LOTS of GUI work as well, and odds and ends (NDS support in in it's baby steps too, in a separate branch). Recently, I added support for the MBC7, which basically means Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble works with keyboards and joysticks. I'm turning my focus back to Custom Graphics (abbreviated as CGFX) because I want to get everything in shape for a 1.0 build. I'm aiming for April 1st of this year (no, it's not a joke! I've done April 1st releases before lol), so I'm trying to clean up CGFX.

Right now, I have it so you can browse all the tiles from a menu and dump them by clicking. Just point at the screen and it dumps the graphics. Whereas the original GB Enhanced project only supported DMG games for CGFX, GB Enhanced+ supports GBC games as well. Previously in the old project, it was experimental, but now it's fully functional (well, 98%, still a minor sticking point I have to take care of).

I mentioned stuff about "anchor" tiles previously to deal with multiple instances of the same tile (e.g. ground vs. sky), but I abandoned that. It's overly complicated to get it to work, so I took the easy route and just used VRAM addresses similar to what hi-ban said. The thing is, the problems I pointed out still exist when relying on the VRAM address as an identifier, so it's completely optional for users when they start making CGFX of their own. If the game causes issues, they can tell the emulator not to use VRAM addresses for that specific graphic. For most games though, things should work as intended.

So yeah, the next few months are going to be a lot of polish + shine to make the emulator ready for April

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    nice, looking forward to using it, i have kept up with your very active github (now to think what game to have custom graphics for )

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LyonHrt View Post
    nice, looking forward to using it, i have kept up with your very active github (now to think what game to have custom graphics for )
    Perhaps Pokemon or Zelda Oracle of Agea/Seasons.Links Awakening DX or some RPG?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I know EmuTalk was where GBE first came onto the emu scene, so I feel bad about not updating this thread at the beginning of the month. Needless to say, I'm trying to get the 1.0 release done (preferably by the end of the month). A lot has changed since 2014. There's a GUI, save states, and the custom graphics are easier than ever to dump and load into a game. Currently, the Release Candidate 2 is available here -> https://goo.gl/SWPxrg

If you guys get the chance, check it out and let me know what you think. Eventually a stable build will be released once some more bugs are fixed

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hi Shonumi,

I just did a fast test and it looks great! Simple gui and accurate graphics and sound (though I only tested one DMG game).

I noticed that using buttons like A (keyboard) for controls (which I usually do) conflicts with shortcut keys and so they can't be used.

Great work overall! Keep it up!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, the shortcut keys need some fiddling with the focus (keep clicking on the main screen). Probably going to get rid of the menu shortcuts (e.g. pressing "F" for to bring up the "File" menu) and just stick with combos (Control + F). Thanks for the feedback

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast