Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GB Enhanced

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Nope, not really :p Merging HD Custom Graphics is on hold atm chiefly because getting GBC games to act correctly is an involving process (one that I haven't even started yet)

The latest master branch revisions can correctly boot from the GBC BIOS now though:

It's a small change really. I haven't been working on GBE a lot recently (playing video games mostly, I admit it).

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Not really an update, but I have finalized a working theory for successfully dealing with custom graphics (HD or 1:1) for GBC titles. As I said, the biggest issue is the fade in/fade out effects, which would technically generate hundreds and thousands of different graphics simply because the palettes vary while the actual "pixel data" is basically the same. Not to bore anyone with the details, but it involves calculating hue ranges and dynamically adjusting the brightness of custom graphics. It should handle almost any situation the GBC can throw at me, but we'll see what happens when the code starts running. Nothing written yet, but the theory was really the biggest stumbling block. No plan of attack means nothing got done, so that's why development may have seemed to suddenly "languish". Hopefully things will be busy here in the next few days.

Administrator & Programmer Danny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    @Shonumi: How is the project going buddy?
    Was impressed with what I have seen thus far!
    Proud Administrator Of Emutalk.net

* I develop software for: iOS, Android, Mac, Linux & Windows.
    * Proficient in C#, C, C++, Objective-C, Java, Swift, Lua. Also know some: PHP.

Want to help EmuTalk? Want us to relive the glory days of old? Ping me, I would love to hear your ideas

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    This project is doing great. So great, in fact, it's dead

I'm half-joking of course. GBE will not be worked on (not by me) because GBE+ will be everything the original project was and more. GBE+ will basically feature everything present in this thread plus more (GBC support for customized graphics, a GUI, GBA support). I've been on hiatus to work on GBE+, specifically a ton of GBA stuff.

I know people are wondering what happened to me, so the answer is I really didn't go anywhere. I love the idea behind GBE, and I just want to make it better. The biggest problem for custome graphics has been the lack of a GUI. I don't know how people like Bighead put up with me. Eventually (once GBA emulation is mature enough, likely before this summer) I'm going to start merging and reforming the GB/GBC code into GBE+. I have to make enough abstraction so that the emulator can handle all three systems without needing to be 3 projects mashed together (and since I really, really want to pursue DS emulation, I would like to see if I can make a 4-in-1 handheld emulator).

If you want you can check out my progress on github (https://github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus) Currently tackling the GBA Special Effects (alpha blending, brightness increase, brightness decrease). Things are going alright, a bit slow this month, but I'm making headway. Thanks for the interest. Keep programming emus yourself, alright

Administrator & Programmer Danny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonumi View Post
    This project is doing great. So great, in fact, it's dead

I'm half-joking of course. GBE will not be worked on (not by me) because GBE+ will be everything the original project was and more. GBE+ will basically feature everything present in this thread plus more (GBC support for customized graphics, a GUI, GBA support). I've been on hiatus to work on GBE+, specifically a ton of GBA stuff.

I know people are wondering what happened to me, so the answer is I really didn't go anywhere. I love the idea behind GBE, and I just want to make it better. The biggest problem for custome graphics has been the lack of a GUI. I don't know how people like Bighead put up with me. Eventually (once GBA emulation is mature enough, likely before this summer) I'm going to start merging and reforming the GB/GBC code into GBE+. I have to make enough abstraction so that the emulator can handle all three systems without needing to be 3 projects mashed together (and since I really, really want to pursue DS emulation, I would like to see if I can make a 4-in-1 handheld emulator).

If you want you can check out my progress on github (https://github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus) Currently tackling the GBA Special Effects (alpha blending, brightness increase, brightness decrease). Things are going alright, a bit slow this month, but I'm making headway. Thanks for the interest. Keep programming emus yourself, alright
    Interesting! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I'm looking forward to hearing updates on the new project.

Also thanks for the words of encouragement I haven't had time to work on my Space Invaders emulator this week, due to programming like a mad man at work... But am planning on resuming work on it this weekend.

Thanks again for the informative read
    Proud Administrator Of Emutalk.net

* I develop software for: iOS, Android, Mac, Linux & Windows.
    * Proficient in C#, C, C++, Objective-C, Java, Swift, Lua. Also know some: PHP.

Want to help EmuTalk? Want us to relive the glory days of old? Ping me, I would love to hear your ideas

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I see from git you've done quite a bit of work this week on GBE+ anything interesting progress? I have to admit i've yet to do anything with gbe, but be exciting what you can achieve expecially in the customised graphics department on gbe+ and cant wait to get my hands on a compiled version
    Certainly will be supporting this from early on.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Yup, a lot of work is going into the process of integrating old GB/GBC code with the new GBA code. It's easy enough to make the two sides play nice in a single emulator, but GB Enhanced was my first attempt at making a program of this sort. A lot of the previous code needs to be updated to conform with a new codebase along with various minor tweaks. LCD emulation and custom graphics need large portions rewritten, but it shouldn't take me too long. The biggest change by far will be a proper GUI. You won't believe how easy and helpful this will make working on custom graphics.

I'm just beginning, and there's plenty of stuff yet to do, but I'm confident I'll get something done soon

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    a good gui would certainly improve things, i was playing with gbe earlier actually with tiles and sprites which i had done for hdnes, and its a very capable emulator, the only thing that was missing, would be individual folders for each sprite pack, maybe based on rom name.

Custom graphics with gba will be very fun, working with 16bit graphics should bring out a lot of games.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do alot with gbe, theres some really nice looking games such as warioland, bring them into colour and 4x size and they're probably going to look next gen!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Say wha? Looks great man

I'm honestly surprised people can actually use GBE as it is now (Command-line only? Drag and drop to start ROMs? Editing text files for configuration?) It was my first real attempt at emulation, and it shows. But things will improve, no doubt. Setting up per-game folders for loading graphics is definitely something I can add, quite easy in fact.

One thing that requires more attention, though is the issue of solid colors. As you can see, the gray at the bottom and the gray in the sky (1st 8x8 pixels under the HUD) at the same. To the game, they're the same tile, and GBE currently thinks they're the same as well. I've got some crazy schemes in mind to eliminate the problem, I just need to make them user friendly somehow. GBC and GBA games tend not to suffer this sort of problem because they have more colors to work with, making tiles more unique.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sounds wonderful, and i don't really knock command line, always worked for mame, and look how many front ends are, so its not a big issue, just really an external gui that would write to ini
    And yeah i could see that myself about the pallete, the plain tiles big problem, but no more than with nes.

Though to solve the dumping/loading problem, what about just a key press to switch one to the other whilst its running, or would that result in unexplained results?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast