Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GB Enhanced

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm going to go ahead and ask you not to implement JPEG. Why open the door for lossy sprite packs when PNG works just fine?

And it's very good to see the emulator is progressing. Specially if GBC and HD sprites support is coming in just a month. I'm guessing save states support will come after that?

Anyway, keep up the great work!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm holding off of implementing save states specifically because the emulator is in flux at the moment regarding all the information a proper save state needs to take into account. I'd like to make sure that save states won't change that much to reduce save state incompatibility down the road. Anyway, they should be coming soon.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Apologies for the lack of updates. Been playing games instead of working on stuff :p

Anyway, the HD graphics is almost complete. In DMG games (or in DMG mode at least) the HD functionality works flawlessly, as far as I can tell. I am not an artist, so I haven't had the time to rework something like Kirby's Dream Land to show you all. I will, however, compile the latest revision of GBE so that everyone can test this new feature. I would like people to test it, give it a shot, and report anything that looks like a bug, a missing feature, or anything of that nature. There are still somethings to update in the code (PNG loading, mainly) but some time this weekend, a build will be available for all. I'll also post detailed instructions (with pretty pictures) as a tutorial.

Please note that HD graphics currently only applies to DMG games (no GBC support yet ) The reason for this is due to the way GBE calculates the hashes for custom graphics and the way GBC software takes advantage of the color palettes. On a technical level, whenever the game makes things "fade in" or "fade out", it does this simply by gradually changing the palettes of the on-screen graphics. GBE uses the palettes in calculating hashes, so when fading in/out, the "same" sprite or background tile has hundreds of lighter and darker variations. GBE technically sees them all as "different". To give you an idea of how troublesome this is, Mega Man Xtreme dumps some 1000+ sprites just getting to the start screen. Obviously no one wants to edit all of those individually, but I'm working on a solution in the meantime. It's actually an interesting problem, and hopefully I've come up with a novel idea to counter it.

Anyway, expect to see stuff here Saturday-ish.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    As I said, I have finished work on HD custom graphics for DMG GB games. I would like for people to test it and provide any and all feedback

DOWNLOAD : GB Enhanced - custom-gfx-hd

Tutorial

1) To make custom graphics, extract the ZIP archive and edit the gbe.ini file. Change this line from 0 to 1. Drag and drop your Game Boy ROM in Windows Explorer over gbe.exe. The emulator will now run in dumping mode to extract the graphics.

2) Sprites are automatically dumped into the Dump\Sprites folder as the game generates them. Background tiles must be dumped manually via the mouse. Hover your mouse over the screen. GBE will highlight the background tile that it will dump. Any tiles that are the same as the one under the mouse cursor will be highlighted as well. This is to give users more control over which graphics they can edit and have an idea of where each tile is used in the game. Dumping hundreds of background tiles automatically is not very user friendly (since you largely cannot tell what goes where). Left-Click with the mouse to actually dump the tile. Background tiles will be dumped to the Dump\BG folder.

Screenshot - Dumping BG Tiles

3) Once you have dumped the sprites and background tiles, you can edit them. Open the images in your editor of choice and make your changes. Important: GBE only supports loading 24-Bit BMPs and 24-bit PNGs Make sure you remove/do not add an alpha channel to these images. I highly recommend GIMP or anything but MS Paint. When making "HD" graphics, GBE supports scales of 2x to 4x of the image's original size. 1x custom sprites are of course supported as well. Please note, when making "HD" graphics, all of the edited images should use the same scale (e.g. mixing 2x edits with 3x edits is a no-no).

Screenshot - Preparing to edit the dumped graphics

4) Move the edited images to the corresponding Load\Sprites or Load\BG.

5) To load the custom graphics, first change this line in gbe.ini back to 0. Now change this line to 1 to load custom graphics.

6) If you are using "HD" custom graphics, change this line in gbe.ini to reflect the scale factor used (2x, 3x, 4x).

7) If you are using PNGs for the custom graphics, change this line in gbe.ini to 1. Otherwise, leave it on 0. Note, GBE does not support mixing and matching the file types it loads. It will only load all PNG files, or all BMP files.

8) In Windows Explorer, drag and drop the Game Boy ROM over gbe.exe. The game should now start with your custom graphics! Enjoy your work!

Screenshot - Tetris ... with Pokeballs

Again, please report any issues you encounter. And if there are any Linux users, I'll guide them through the process of setting up GBE upon request (the above is focused on Windows users, even though I'm not one myself). Thanks for any one willing to take the time to test
    Last edited by Shonumi; May 18th, 2014 at 20:41.

Texture Pack Invader NES_player4LIFE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Great news, texture pack here we come!
    Please update your first post to contain this information.

I have also archived the latest release Here.

Bug report.
    Win 7 64bit
    System error
    {The program can't start missing libstdc++6.dll}
    Last edited by NES_player4LIFE; May 19th, 2014 at 03:47.
    -NES
    We are in the process of archiving all qualifying texture packs!
    Contact me via PM to have your N64 texture pack hosted on Emulation64.com!
    Having a hard time loading Large packs? Be sure to patch your emulator.
    Can't load .DAT or .HTC archives? Look no further then this shiny Tutorial, Android users may use this Tutorial.

Spoiler:

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Oh man, I thought I fixed that error Why does MinGW insist on using shared libs anyway for libgcc and libstdc++?

Will update the first post and the downloadable build later tonight.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Excuse the double post. The missing .dll file issue should be fixed. See the first post for a new build.

Texture Pack Invader NES_player4LIFE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Dumps still seem to only arrive as BMP and not PNG.
    The option has been set to [1] within the .ini
    -NES
    We are in the process of archiving all qualifying texture packs!
    Contact me via PM to have your N64 texture pack hosted on Emulation64.com!
    Having a hard time loading Large packs? Be sure to patch your emulator.
    Can't load .DAT or .HTC archives? Look no further then this shiny Tutorial, Android users may use this Tutorial.

Spoiler:

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    That option is for loading PNGs. During the editing process, you have to convert them to PNGs. Unfortunately, saving images to PNG is non-trivial and involves either relying on yet more external dependencies (something other than SDL, SDL_image, SDL_net, or SDL_ttf, which is the most I would like to use) or implementing my own exporter (which isn't as hard as it sounds, just not as high a priority as other features). I see the second option as the most likely even though it plays into the not-invented-here-syndrome, but I honestly hate the amount of libraries it takes to build some emulators, and I would avoid that at all costs.

It will come eventually, but that's a bit down the road. I'm more concerned getting the functionality right this early in GBE's development. I'll make an issue report though for dumping graphics in PNG

EDIT: Here is the issue report: https://code.google.com/p/gb-enhance...es/detail?id=9

The old issue, Issue 6 was specifically for loading them as .PNGs rather than exporting. Implementing this seems simple enough. Just give it some time
    Last edited by Shonumi; May 20th, 2014 at 15:33.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was just messing around... (the glitch was my fault when i selected the tiles)

I'm not allowed to post images since i'm new on the forum so remove the spaces!
    Last edited by NES_player4LIFE; May 24th, 2014 at 13:18. Reason: Fixed image.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast