What's new

Trying to configure controller

deafmonkey

Hi! I'm trying to configure the settings for a new controller I bought. It's not the best of quality. My biggest problem right now is that I can't google anything about it, because I don't know what it's called. All I know is that it says GTECH on the front of the controller with flames coming out of the G, and it uses numbers on the buttons instead of A B X Y or like the shapes on PlayStation controllers. It looks a lot like a PlayStation controller, as it is black and the thumbsticks are on the same level. If anyone know what controller I am talking about, please tell me! It would help me greatly! I have a few questions regarding controllers on mupen64plus:
1. My right thumbstick is referred to as "button 12" on the package of the controller. How do I make it so that the right analog stick is used for the C buttons? My X Axis = "axis(0-,0+)" and my Y Axis = "axis(1-,1+)".
2. Even though I follow the numbers on the package of my controller, the buttons are still different and I have to tinker. Is this because of mupen64plus?

V1del

The numbers are most likely not going to be the same as they are being sent/interpreted by SDL. Use the SDLJoytest from http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/downloads/list to check as what your button presses are registered an configure according to that information (just for clarity, no this is not because of mupen64plus, but SDL)

As for wanting to know what the controller is called, I guess a look at lsusb output wouldn't hurt

Last edited:
OP
D

deafmonkey

How do I install the SDLJoyTest? I can't seem to get it to work. Whenever I use ./configure it just says "no such file or directory". There is also only a file called SDLJoyTest-linux32

V1del

It's already compiled you have to run it in a terminal (you may also have to add a
Code:
chmod +x SDLJoyTest-linux32
to make it executable (provided you have the 32bit variant of SDL installed, which you probably already have if you use any commercial games)

OP
D

deafmonkey

I still can't run it...
I tried using
Code:
chmod +x SDLJoyTest-linux32
and nothing happened in the terminal. I tried double-clicking on the SDLJoyTest-linux32 icon, but nothing happened. Is it because I have linux 64-bit?

Last edited:

V1del

if you run it just with
Code:
SDLJoyTest-linux32
in the terminal nothing outputs? But yeah as said you may have to install the 32bit Variant of sdl1.2
Code:
apt-get install libsdl1.2debian:i386
or compile yourself

OP
D

deafmonkey

It doesn't matter. I found another program called joystick, which is in the synaptic package manager.
Turns out, my controller sucks. The right thumbstick doesn't work as a stick, it justs outputs the same as other buttons.