What's new

Best N64 Controller -> USB Adapter? (2014)

DaFox

Hi guys, I've been looking at getting my N64 controllers working with my PC again and I was researching what's available.

I've basically narrowed it down to 2 at this point.

Raphnet's "N64 controller to USB adapter with rumble support"
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_to_usb_adapter/index.php
n64_usb_v1.4_2.jpg

RetroUSB's "USB N64 RetroPort"
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=82
NxHQU90.png

Honorable Mention:
ZTnetstore's "N64 Controller Adapter for PC USB
n64controlleradapter.jpg

I want which ever one is the best under the following criteria:

Responsiveness/Input Lag
Software Compatibility
Hardware Compatibility
Build Quality

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Adaptoid is the holy grail around here and we don't recommend using knock-offs, with that being said I would recommend the RetroPort.
I have used RetroPort's NES and SNES to Wii/NGC adapters with my Wii system, although I have not used the N64 RetroPort I would give them a 10 out of 10 rating for the other cables.

The Raphnet's "N64 controller seems to look nice I could not add any input on this device, other then what I have already stated about knock-offs.

Side note: The last adapter that you mentioned is made by MayFlash. I have only had problems with their products.
If you want something that just looks nice then they are ok but as far as quality they; in my opinion, are one of the worst electronics companies on the market.

Last edited:
OP
D

DaFox

Thanks, I'd love to get an Adaptoid, but that just won't fly unfortunately. I'm wanting to get 4 ports total for Mario Kart and Mario Party. Just one Adaptoid is twice the price of 4 Raphnet/RetroUSB adapters unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up on the MayFlash though. I only included it because it seemed to have some vague ties to Adaptoid.

I'm actually planning on getting some SNES ones as well, I wish someone was doing some actual comparisons on these. Input lag and compatibility are my biggest worries.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Understandable.

The only other thing I can say about RetroPort it that when used with Snex9x GX or FCE Ultra GX.
Game play seems as if you are playing on the original system with a faster response time.
I would hope that the usb versions are of the same quality.

Toasty

Sony battery
Only one I've used is the MayFlash one, and the one I got worked fine. Leave it to me to muddy the waters. :p

Toasty

Sony battery
PJ64, the included N-Rage plugin. (I haven't used it since PJ64 2.1 came out, but I don't think anything relevant changed between 2.0 and 2.1.) I have heard one or two people on the board report problems with that adapter, but I haven't experienced issues with it myself, and the reviews I saw when I bought it were favorable, so who knows? Maybe there are a few duds, or maybe it's a crummy product I got lucky with. It's a shame Adaptoids aren't produced anymore.

F

Fanatic 64

All versions of Project64 include N-Rage 1.81 (which is quite outdated, you should get 2.3c).

jasonsmith

I've too been looking for an N64 to USB adapter. Still haven't decided on which one to get.

I've used the NES and SNES adapters from RetroUSB with no problems. But they don't have any right now for the N64 and they don't know when they'll get any in.

The only other I see is Raphnet. So is Raphnet N64 USB adapter good? One thing with the Raphnet is I'd have to build it in a box, etc.

jasonsmith

I've read of problems with the Adaptoid and 64 bit computers. In that the Rumble function doesn't work with 64 bit systems like Windows 7 64bit. Has anyone came up with something to fix that?

F

Fanatic 64

There are no 64-bit drivers for the Adaptoid. In fact it was made before 64-bit processors existed.

jasonsmith

There are no 64-bit drivers for the Adaptoid. In fact it was made before 64-bit processors existed.

Yeah, I knew it was made for pre 64-bit computers. Had figured someone may have made a new driver for it.

But then again having to deal with drivers could cause problems anyways.

I'll probably look at doing the Raphnet instead since that has Rumble and I believe uses HID so I don't think you have to worry about driver problems or compatibility down the road. I think Raphnet is working on a new N64 PCB board.

F

Fanatic 64

>Implying the Nintendo 64 didn't have a 64-bit processor.
By "64-bit processors" I meant PC processors, like IA-64, x86-64, 64-bit PowerPC, etc.

I would suggest looking at the vendor's website to see if they offer 64-bit drivers.

jasonsmith

By "64-bit processors" I meant PC processors, like IA-64, x86-64, 64-bit PowerPC, etc.

I would suggest looking at the vendor's website to see if they offer 64-bit drivers.

They've been out of business for years. Actually before the 64 bit computers were out.

I don't see the point in getting an Adaptoid as the memory and rumble don't work with 64 bit computers. As 64 bits is where all computers are going anyways.

I'm going to make an N64 to USB adapter with the Raphnet when he comes out with his updated PCB board.

What I'll do is hack a Boom N64-USB adapter and put the Raphnet PCB board in that. I think that is the best way to make a Raphnet adapter compared to just using heat shrink tubing or trying to get an enclosure and wire grips.

F

Fanatic 64

Yeah, Adaptoid won't get 64-bit drivers. I suggested in case you wanted to look at other brands.

jasonsmith

Yeah, Adaptoid won't get 64-bit drivers. I suggested in case you wanted to look at other brands.

I've used RetroUSB for my NES and SNES to USB adapters and those have worked well and I don't think use drivers. Though they are currently out of their N64 to USB adapter and they can't say when they'll get any more in. And that doesn't officially support rumble, though I think they have something you can download that may let rumble work.

Whereas the Raphnet supports rumble and I think uses HID which I believe means it doesn't need special drivers that have to be updated as in the case the problem with the Adaptoid.

Only thing with the Raphnet is you have to make an enclosure for it etc. So instead of doing all of that, I figured it would be easier to just hack say a Boom N64/PSX to USB adapter and wire in the Raphnet board inside that.

I had also thought of hacking an N64 extension cable, by wiring up the Raphnet PCB board inside the female plug with a USB cable coming out. But only problem with that is I wasn't sure if any of the N64 extension cables would let you open up the female plug. As I know you can open up the male end of the plug with special tools.

I figured the board is probably small enough that it may could fit inside the female plug with it wired up to the N64 plug and USB cable.

urbanman2004

Head Honcho
I've owned the Adaptoid (2x before they gotten stolen in 2010) and they were bar none the best N64 controller USB adapters I've ever used. ZNet, the company that made them, stopped manufacturing them I believe back in '07 or '08. I would buy another one from them again today if I had the chance, and not from some "scalper" online who wants to take advantage of the situation by inflating the value on ebay since they are so rare to find. That just shows how immaculately good they were. Currently I own both RetroUSB's N64 Retroport and RalphNet's N64/Gamecube to USB adapter. Although I've had no problems with either one of them and they comparably function alike, I feel more comfortable using the Retroport because its cable length is shorter and I'm uncomfortable by Ralphnet's adapter, even though its innards are wrapped in heat shrink tubing it still feels as if they are exposed. Just my 2 cents.

jasonsmith

I've owned the Adaptoid (2x before they gotten stolen in 2010) and they were bar none the best N64 controller USB adapters I've ever used. ZNet, the company that made them, stopped manufacturing them I believe back in '07 or '08. I would buy another one from them again today if I had the chance, and not from some "scalper" online who wants to take advantage of the situation by inflating the value on ebay since they are so rare to find. That just shows how immaculately good they were. Currently I own both RetroUSB's N64 Retroport and RalphNet's N64/Gamecube to USB adapter. Although I've had no problems with either one of them and they comparably function alike, I feel more comfortable using the Retroport because its cable length is shorter and I'm uncomfortable by Ralphnet's adapter, even though its innards are wrapped in heat shrink tubing it still feels as if they are exposed. Just my 2 cents.

On the Ralphnet. I didn't like the idea of the shrink wrapping as I see the chip board or wires could easily break. But you can buy just the chip/board and use your own enclosure.

What you could do is get a cheap N64 adapter. Remove all the electrical components on the board inside and desolder the wires. Then zip tie or something the Ralphnet chip/board on that board with foam or something inbetween and solder up the wires.

That way you have a secure Ralphnet N64 adapter.

I really like the design of the RetroUSB adapters. But I've been busy but haven't decided on Ralphnet or RetroUSB N64 adapter.

I wish the RetroUSB had rumble, so I'll probably end up going with Ralphnet N64 adapter as I think you can use your rumble with it.

Last edited: