What's new

Mupen64Plus-Qt

Presence

Hello,

Someone requested I convert my CEN64-Qt launcher (here: http://forums.cen64.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15) to work with Mupen64Plus. I've finally gotten around to it and added several new features as well such as GoodName support and column configuration. GoodName support requires the data directory to be set (to read mupen64plus.ini). On Linux this is usually /usr/share/mupen64plus. On Windows this is most likely the same directly the executable is in.

Overview:

This is just a basic launcher that utilizes the console UI to do all the work. It's fairly basic, so if you're looking for more advanced featured such as graphical input configuration or cheat support, use m64py.

I've added support for most of the parameters that appear on the man page. I don't plan on adding much more to it but I am willing to entertain feature requests.

More information about usage can be found in the README on Github: https://github.com/dh4/mupen64plus-qt

Game Information:

Mupen64Plus-Qt supports downloading game information and cover images from thegamesdb.net. This can be enabled under the Other tab. It's recommended you have the data directory set (under Paths) before using this. Once enabled, you'll need to refresh your ROMs list to download the information. Afterwards, images and other information about the game can be added to the layouts.

If a game is not found, Mupen64Plus-Qt supports refreshing information for a single ROM. Just select the rom and go to File->Download/Update Info. From here you can enter a different search or the specific ID of the game (from the URL of the game on thegamesdb.net).

Screenshots:

grid-view-background.jpg

list-view.jpg

table-view.jpg

Binary downloads:

Release binaries can be downloaded on Github: https://github.com/dh4/mupen64plus-qt/releases

The Linux download is a 64-bit dynamically-linked executable that requires qt4 and libquazip1. If your system is 32-bit or has libquazip0, the compilation instructions are on the Github README.

Arch Linux AUR package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mupen64plus-qt/

Please report any bugs you find.

Last edited:
OP
P

Presence

I've added an OSX build. If you're a Mac user, you'll probably want to remove the contents of the mupen64plus.app package to make them easier to link to. Just right click on it and select "Show Package Contents." Then copy the Contents folder out somewhere else. The executable is Contents/MacOS/mupen64plus. The plugins directory (must be set) is Contents/MacOS/ and the data directory is Contents/Resources/. Once you set those paths correctly, it should work.

OP
P

Presence

The old build I released is a 32-bit build:
(new 32-bit version provided, see first post)

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

You should state that all Windows builds are 32 bit. There is no 64 bit Mupen64Plus for Windows.

OP
P

Presence

The builds I'm refering to are for the launcher. Though I guess I didn't realize Mupen64Plus was only provided in a 32-bit version for Windows. To match that and make it easier to distribute this, I've updated the download in the first post to a 32-bit version, and I'll provide that from now on.

OP
P

Presence

Thanks, I like the new version. This version use now static instead of dynamic linking. : )

Glad you like it. Yes, I compiled a static version this time (was just lazy, since I have to set up a separate build environment and compile Qt again to get 32-bit).

I've updated this to version 1.1. Here are the changes:
- Added an icon to the executable on Windows.
- Added some auto-detection code. If you're on Linux, it should be able to populate the executable, plugin directory and data directory for you when it first runs provided you have mupen64plus installed (I checked several distributions to see where they place everything, but if someone finds a location I've missed, let me know and I'll add it).

If you're on Windows, It should auto-detect those three settings if you place Mupen64Plus-Qt in the same directory as Mupen64Plus.

Same for OSX: If you place Mupen64Plus-Qt.app and mupen64plus.app in the same directory, it should auto-detect the settings for you. For OSX, I've also added some code that should allow you to select mupen64plus.app as the executable and have it populate the plugin directory and data directory for you, so you no longer need to copy the Contents directory out or type in the paths manually.

OP
P

Presence

I've updated this with support for downloading cover images/information from thegamesdb.net (see the readme on Github for details on using it). Also added some different layouts to present the ROMs. I've added some preview images of these layouts to the top post.

Added as well are a log viewer (for viewing Mupen64Plus output) and a simple mupen64plus.cfg editor with highlighting. You'll need to set the config directory to use the latter. I'm not responsible if this messes up your config, but it's working just fine for me.

Let me know any issues you find.

OP
P

Presence

Added zip support. This version requires you to refresh your ROMs list with File->Refresh List if you are coming from an older version.

mendus

Hi, pretty nice launcher! It looks really good with the images.

Please report any bugs you find.
When I change the RSP plugin, the ini file is updated and games run with another plugin, but in the Settings/Configure/Plugins menu, always shows cxd4-sse2.

Also, you might want to remark in the first post that the good name working is neccessary so that all the images load correctly.

OP
P

Presence

Hi, pretty nice launcher! It looks really good with the images.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

When I change the RSP plugin, the ini file is updated and games run with another plugin, but in the Settings/Configure/Plugins menu, always shows cxd4-sse2.

Thanks for pointing this out. Just a simple error on my part. I've fixed this along with a few other small things and updated the binary downloads.

Also, you might want to remark in the first post that the good name working is neccessary so that all the images load correctly.

This was included in the README, but since no one reads those, I've added it to the first post. If the GoodName field isn't available, this uses the internal name from the ROM header to search for matches which is less than accurate when combined with thegamesdb.net API's search feature. If you've already downloaded the images, you can refresh any it got incorrect with File->Download/Update Info.

Alternately, just delete the directory it caches the images to:
Linux: ~/.local/share/mupen64plus-qt/cache
Windows: cache folder in same directory as executable.
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/mupen64plus-qt/cache

mendus

This was included in the README, but since no one reads those, I've added it to the first post. If the GoodName field isn't available, this uses the internal name from the ROM header to search for matches which is less than accurate when combined with thegamesdb.net API's search feature. If you've already downloaded the images, you can refresh any it got incorrect with File->Download/Update Info.

My bad not reading it, I stopped when I found the mupen64plus commands.

OP
P

Presence

Version 1.6 released. Download is on the Github page. The main feature (other than some small bug fixes) is the "Additional Parameters" field under Configure->Other. This allows you to pass additional parameters to Mupen64Plus. The most obvious use for this is specifying cheats (for example "--cheats 1,2,3"). You can also list out cheats by specifying "--cheats list" and then viewing the log when Mupen64Plus fails to launch.

Also the Linux builds are now built with libquazip1 since Ubuntu 14.10 ships with it. If you're on 14.04 or another distribution that uses libquazip0, you'll have to compile using the instructions on the Github readme.

tony971

Thanks for your awesome work! Any chance of getting a frontend for Mednafen? There's a real need for a good GUI there.

OP
P

Presence

Thanks for your awesome work! Any chance of getting a frontend for Mednafen? There's a real need for a good GUI there.

I know Mednafen is really in need of a good frontend. Actually considered creating one before I made CEN64-Qt. It was fairly easy to edit the CEN64-Qt codebase to work with Mupen64Plus which is what this launcher is. Reworking the codebase to work with Mednafen would be quite a bit more work due to the multiple consoles it supports.

More interested in creating a quality frontend for CEN64 currently though so I have no plans for a Mednafen frontend at this point.

spotanjo3

Hello.

I enjoyed Mupen64Plus 2.5 for MAC OS X very much. I like it more than Project64 (Of course, I used it with wineskin, lol) to be honest with you. The problem is: I downloaded the latest plugin version called mupen64plus-video-GLideN64.dll and put it in Mupen64plus folder and I run Mupen64Plus-Qt front-end and check the plugins and I still have two options: mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2 and video rice instead. There is no 3rd option that I want: mupen64plus-video-GLideN64.dll.

Oh, I sent pm to you, Presence, for other question as well. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Last edited:
OP
P

Presence

I don't believe GLideN64 supports Mac OSX yet. At least the release archive doesn't contain any binaries for it, so I can't help you getting that plugin to run (Mac OSX dynamic libraries usually have a .dylib extension for reference).

As for getting plugins to show up in preferences, Mupen64Plus-Qt checks in the "Plugins directory" you have set under Preferences->Paths. By default this is within mupen64plus.app at mupen64plus.app/Contents/MacOS. You can get to this in Finder by right clicking on mupen64plus.app and selecting "Show Package Contents." Either paste the new plugin here or move the current plugins contained there to a new directory of your choosing and set Mupen64Plus-Qt to check for plugins there.

spotanjo3

Ahh, I see.

It recongize mupen64plus-video-GLideN64.dll in Video Plugin but Audio Plugin, Input Plugin, and RSP Plugin disappears. I reset it and everything return to normal. When I try it again.. Those three disappears and remain is my new mupen64plus-video-GLideN64.dll but it won't work without those three which disappears anyway.