What's new

Loading Sixtyforce Game Freezes

Morshu9001

[SEMI-SUCCESS] Loading Sixtyforce Game Freezes

I've been using Sixtyforce to play games but want to switch over to Mupen64Plus or Mupen64. The problem is that I am not willing to start Majora's Mask from the beginning after all the progress I've made. Does anyone know how to convert the game freezes so that Mupen64(Plus) can read them?

I've uploaded an example save state for anyone who wants to see its format. If anyone is kind enough to show me how to convert it manually, I will make a tool to do it automatically (since I'm a programmer) and post it here :satisfied

Attachments

• ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK Freeze.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

It is very hard, if not impossible to convert freezes/instant saves between emulators. What you can do is make a native save (save at an Owl Statue in-game) and it should work in the other emulator just by renaming it (check the name of the native save that is automatically generated by M64P).

OP
M

Morshu9001

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not working. I took the battery save from Sixtyforce and put it into Mupen64Plus (after changing the name and extension), and my save file didn't show up. I tried letting Mupen make its own save file then opened both in TextEdit. They look like they have different headers; Sixtyforce has some stuff at the beginning about name, size, and "type".

I've been messing around trying to copy just part of the Sixtyforce save onto an existing Mupen save with my hexadecimal editor, no luck so far. Comparing two different Mupen saves for Majora's Mask, I can't find the header either. Gotta read a guide on how these things are formatted.

Last edited:
OP
M

Morshu9001

I have successfully loaded a Majora's Mask battery save from Sixtyforce into Mupen64Plus!!! It took me hours of painful work to figure this out, so I hope it helps someone else as well. This is what I did (only tested on Majora's Mask, an FLA-type save):

Open the Sixtyforce save in a hex editor; I recommend HexFiend for Mac. Copy the bytes starting after (but not including) 64 61 74 61 00 02 00 00, which should say "data " in UTF8 form, up to (but not including) 66 6D 6F 64, which should say "fmod" in UTF8 form.

Paste that into a new file, and save. Download sbn64 from hacksden(dot)com/showthread.php/7705-Simple-Byteswapper-for-N64-saves. <<< Yes, that period is in the URL. It's not for Mac, but the source is there, so I've compiled it: dl.dropboxusercontent(dot)com/u/643634/SBN64X

Run it with "SBN64X [input] [output] 1" to convert it to the other endianness… not sure if it's little or big, but doesn't matter. It should work after that!

Last edited:
OP
M

Morshu9001

I contacted someone at Hacksden about using his byte swapping source code in a program I was going to make to convert the saves, but 1. I gave up on that because I'm already working on 3 projects, 2. He added support for Sixtyforce saves to his program! hacksden(dot)com/showthread.php/7705-Simple-Byteswapper-for-N64-saves.

Enoch

Hello, I'm new here. I've been lurking, reading & going over Morshu9001's explanation but I cannot seem to figure it quite out since I am in such a beginner stage in coding which caused me to join this forum... I, too, am departing from Sixtyforce (Cause I do not have it registered therefore I cannot save my game any more), but trying to switch to OpenEmu which uses Mupen64Plus. I have a saved file of Ocarina Of Time (I am near end in the game) from Sixtyforce but I am trying to move away from that and I am trying to port over my save file to open in OpenEmu, which I don't want to lose... Would anyone be willing to help me convert a save file from Sixtyforce to read/open in OpenEmu? I've tried Morshu's approach with the HexFiend app but I just cannot get it at all. Honestly, not so sure what to look for or what I am doing. Any help, I would appreciate. Thanks.