What's new

Wow Time Flies!

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Well I'm back to playing with emulation constantly these days since buying up a few of the last worthwhile machines I didn't own (team Wonderswan ColoUr!), and Cemu, RPCSX3 and the Switch emulator Yuzu in particular are amazing pieces of work to be at the place they are already.
(But nobody mention the one word story thread, in case Martin remembers and we all die horribly as a result...)

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Must be getting very close to the 20 year mark for some of us now. At least back before the Big Forum Reset of 2001 (our beautiful/questionable post counts, noooooo...) lost our true join dates with the original incarnation (along with the era of crossposting on emuhelp).

Inbetween I've wandered through helping out with some fun side projects like the disaster that was OS X on non Apple hardware - be careful what you wish for was the lesson learned - and I was far more lucky and privileged to be allowed to help out the amazingly smart "team twiizers", now commonly known as fail0verflow, beta testing (as virtually the only PAL tester) and helping shape a little thing called the Wii Homebrew Channel.
(I was, due to the quirks of timezones and someone doing the coding while at work, the first of us - and likely the first in the world outside of Nintendo - to actually play a normal DVD on a totally unchipped Wii, and if you see the original documentation for the HBC provided or on the site... Uh, I wrote that, for lack of anyone else wanting to do so.)

And here I just got done with playing around with yuzu and seeing things like Pokemon Let's Go emulated (beyond full speed indoors! About... 45% outdoors!), getting absorbed by the perfectly-running Puyo Puyo Tetris for at least an hour not even thinking about the fact it was being emulated most of the time as it was so engrossing.
Then there's Dolphin emulating Wind Waker in first person in the Oculus Rift DK2... Amazing. Emulation never gets old. ;)

Last edited:

Cyberman

Wasn't OSX based on BSD? I understand they did something weird with X (apple) it's also hardly BSD anymore.
And there likely will always be something for emulation.
Ugh you reminded me of the project I was working on.
Stop it! Fortunately in the last 10 months I have dug up stuff I was working on in 2002 mostly bits and pieces.
Well nothing wxWidgets and openGL won't cure I suppose. C++ to python I guess.
Well the only thing in emulation that gets old is the people messing with it I guess.

Cyb

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Wasn't OSX based on BSD? I understand they did something weird with X (apple) it's also hardly BSD anymore.
And there likely will always be something for emulation.
Ugh you reminded me of the project I was working on.
Stop it! Fortunately in the last 10 months I have dug up stuff I was working on in 2002 mostly bits and pieces.
Well nothing wxWidgets and openGL won't cure I suppose. C++ to python I guess.
Well the only thing in emulation that gets old is the people messing with it I guess.

Cyb

OS X is based on BSD at the "Darwin" kernel level, then basically strapping a terrible GUI on top of it all. Best as I remember anyway. The main difference being FreeBSD can make a wonderful useful computer system and OS X / Mac OS / IOS is basically "how to consume the youtubes and facebook, for idiots."
Horrible OS in the end, and one I regret aiding people in running. But I at least gained some knowledge of how the CLI/terminal worked that I put to good use years later with FreeBSD.
(Then there's OpenBSD - Those people though, make Linuxists look like a friendly and helpful bunch by comparison...)

Greetings everyone! Long-time user from 2004 here. I remember the good 'ole days of Martin Korth, Allnatural, Clements, and more. when Dolphin used to run at 1 fps with Super Mario Sunshine showing signs of life with no water texture lol. Man time flies...

Hope everyone is having a great day :satisfied

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
whew, november 2002.

I was active here for quite a while before... things went bad.

Man if only I knew back then what I know now! Heck.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
whew, november 2002.

Man if only I knew back then what I know now! Heck.

Amen Sister! Can't agree more on how life sticks it to you lol
Nice to see you here Tag, takes me back to the good old days and the stir you caused :eek: A Woman, :eek: Into Gaming :eek: and Emulation :eek::happy:

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
Did something happen that I am not aware of? Or are you speaking in general terms of slower traffic.

- - - Updated - - -

Right before coming here just now, I was thinking about how active this place once was and how much I enjoyed reading topics even though I was not a highly active poster. Then I took a long pause because I did not have as much time for games, only checking my subscribed topics a few times and making one post over two years.

Last year I started playing more emulated games again, and I decided I would become active in the community again... only to discover this place turned into almost a ghost town while I was gone. This is one of only two console emulator-related communities that I have ever been a part of. Given its once-popularity and the fact that emulators are still widely enjoyed, it makes me ask what could have possibly caused almost everyone to say, "Bye, take care." and for the influx of joiners to just die off? The other community that I am a part of has slowed but is still doing fine.

What they say is true: you never know how much you will miss something until it is gone.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Amen Sister! Can't agree more on how life sticks it to you lol
Nice to see you here Tag, takes me back to the good old days and the stir you caused :eek: A Woman, :eek: Into Gaming :eek: and Emulation :eek::happy:

I KNOW RIGHT, that was a lot of fun.

:flowers:

Did something happen that I am not aware of? Or are you speaking in general terms of slower traffic.

I'm a transwoman.

At the time I didn't understand it at all. But I told everyone at the time that I was a girl. Which I guess at the time was a half-truth, because, well, I am one. But at the time, I thought I was a guy and presented as such.

Back in the day, I got outed and a portion of the community was pretty nasty to me about it. It's funny looking back on that thread, though. I was so close to having my epiphany and somehow totally missed it..

Toasty

Sony battery
Haven't been around in forever, but I got a PM in my inbox, so here I am and it's such a nostalgia trip! So much time has passed, so many life lessons learned that I didn't know back when I first came here. It was a simpler, more innocent time in my life, but also a darker one, which outlets like this helped me to get through.
Tagrineth said:
I'm a transwoman.

At the time I didn't understand it at all. But I told everyone at the time that I was a girl. Which I guess at the time was a half-truth, because, well, I am one. But at the time, I thought I was a guy and presented as such.

Back in the day, I got outed and a portion of the community was pretty nasty to me about it. It's funny looking back on that thread, though. I was so close to having my epiphany and somehow totally missed it..
Aww, so much love to you for persisting and growing to become a more authentic version of yourself! :cheers: I'm not trans, but I've had my own journey over the years waking up from fundamentalist indoctrination that I was born into and accepting my own sexual orientation in the aftermath of that awakening. The past five years have been incredibly eventful for me. The tip of the iceberg is that I moved to Portland Oregon and am back in school!

Really love this community and hope that everyone is living the happiest, most fulfilling lives they can, even if that keeps them away from Emutalk most of the time! I'll try to poke my head on here more often. :)

Allnatural

How's everyone doing? 2020 has been tough on a lot of people so just checking in.

Still here and healthy. Haven't been able to travel as much as I'd like thanks to the rona, so it's been almost non-stop Netflix and chill.

At least my job has been secure (working from home since March). A lot of friends and family weren't so lucky.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
Hey guys. How's it hanging :D

- - - Updated - - -

My footer is gone? :/ Seems like the DB of posts is having some issues and also access has changed. That's fine for me though i don't need full access anymore :) I just hope the place isn't dying.