What's new

Dolphin has extremely poor IR recognition

Glitcher

I'm running into a universal problem with Wii games on Dolphin where I can barely get the IR recognition to work properly. I bought a wireless IR sensor bar, but my current Wiimote (and the previous third-party one I owned) has serious trouble detecting it. The result is that the cursor rarely shows up on screen, and when it does it jumps all over the place even if my Wiimote is still.

Skyward Sword is practically unplayable. After calibrating the Wiimote upon loading the game, it works fine for about five minutes, then Link doesn't hold his sword in the proper direction any more. I can be pointing straight at the screen and he's holding his sword up, or I make a horizontal slash and he does a vertical one. Sometimes the controls deteriorate to the point where everything is backwards, i.e swinging left-to-right is right-to-left. I tried swapping out the sensor bar with a pair of candles like some users said, but the same problem occurs. What can I do to fix this?

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Since I don't know where you live, I'm not sure.

Oh, you mean to the IR sensor bar! Doesn't matter. I've tried it from two inches away to six feet, but I can never sustain a decent connection. It's possible the sensor bar has something to do with it, since I get better results in Super Mario Galaxy with two strong candles instead of the Chinese IR sensor bar I bought on eBay. Can you recommend a sensor bar that works well for you? Anyway, that still doesn't solve my problem with Skyward Sword. For whatever reason, Link never seems to recenter his sword properly, and whenever I bring up the menu the cursor is stuck in a corner of the screen. Even if I recenter it, Link still slashes in random directions unless I recalibrate the Wiimote every two minutes. What can I do to prevent this?

Last edited:
OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

After checking the Dolphin wiki, it seems the Skyward Sword calibration is a common problem for which there is no real solution. :(

Anyway, I'm convinced there's a problem with my sensor bar. It only works if I hold the Wiimote two inches away from it, even with full batteries. Please suggest a better one!

Toasty

Sony battery
Assuming you have a real Wii, you could always use its bar; you'll just need the Wii nearby to power it.

spiralout

Hey just wanted to post in case someone randomly ended up here with the same problem because I just did lol. I was having the same exact problem with my cursor. I'm using a real wiimote as well with a wired Wii U sensor bar. My wiimote is the RVL-CNT-01-TR version, which is the one with the Wii motion plus inside the controller. That particular remote has its own set of issues but this cursor problem did not seem to be specifically related to it. Just giving these details in case someone else is in the same situation. But anyways, my fix was: PUT NEW BATTERIES IN!! I know you said that you had full batteries and were still experiencing issues but my batteries didn't show to be low either. Helpful Hint: I have Eneloop batteries (rechargebles). I don't know the specific capacity of the batteries that were giving me cursor issues, all I know is that Dolphin didn't show my battery level being low. Luckily I had some fresh full charged batteries to try, and as soon as I put them in, the cursor started working perfectly. I would really recommend using Eneloop batteries with the Wiimote on Dolphin, just to be sure you have a full charge before use. I guess the potency of the battery charge really effects the IR sensitivity for whatever reason. Hope this helps