What's new

Removing the spyware from Project64 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MeagerToots

it's an optional part of the installer. I'm not asserting that Delta Toolbar is good or even harmless; I really don't know anything about it. I suspect neither of us does, which is why I view your emotional assertions that it is spyware with a bit of skepticism. Have you monitored it sending sensitive information to a third party, which is what actually defines spyware? If not, do you have an authoritative source that concretely says it does? Or is it just annoying you with ads and the resetting of your homepage and default search engine? (IE, adware behavior
If you're sure of what you say, if you trust Zilmar, if you believe that the Delta Toolbar is (likely) harmless because you trust Zilmar, if you have nothing to fear because you trust Zilmar and the most important thing if you want to support Zilmar; THEN install it! :p
I really don't understand... you guys have a way to make your friend getting rich and fat, and you don't want to help him!! (cruel!)

You guys... pathetic. All supporters of Zilmar, his installer and his spyware toolbar... and nobody has the balls to install it and keep it installed.

Oh Zilmar... i am sure you are reading. Do you see what your friends are doing? They support you, but nobody has installed your spywares to help you. -- so no, i was wrong, nobody is supporting you, not even your fake-supporters and fake-online-friends.
Really, nobody wants your toolbar and everyone is backstabbing you in the end. Let me image what your friends think:
"I cry for Zilmar, he did so much for us, i trust him so much, i love Zilmar.... buy hey! installing his toolbar!?! making he earn something for his work!?!? no way!" :p
The users of this forum are so perfect actors for theater dramas.

V1del

I actually donated for it while it was in betaphase, so long with not supporting him...

Why are you even bringing those other projects up? each of them are giant with large user interest and ultimately backed by a shitton of sponsors and cooperations. N64 emulation is relatively obscure and there wasn't much interest in development apart from the few ones that kept working on it, including Zilmar, back in the early days, PJ64 was open source for a while when it was pretty much the only decent emulator around and no one cared.

Where is your proof that the delta toolbar does all of this? You have to give evidence to prove an argument, there is none up until now.

Stop putting stuff in my mouth I never said, not once did I say that I endorsed any form of spyware/adware in installers, in fact I don't, is that so hard of a concept to grasp? I understand the reason he did it and I respect his will to do so and as long as I can disable it, I don't see the problem. Afaik it's completely within the constraints of the GPL so go complain to them that they even allow such an atrocity.

The radio button isn't deceiving either, it is labeled "Advanced" and brings you to an advanced set of options, which you then may disable, like every windows installer ever, there's no unexpected behaviour.

And no besides "selling or asking for donations" there actually in fact exists, they way of going with ads, wheter they are installed on install or appear inside of the program, to gain some revenue, pretty much the case since the internet exists.

You are reducing Zilmar to the one "bad" thing he did, which in light of everything else, is an incredibly childish and ignorant thing to do.

Salvy

Well I never used the delta toolbar (matter of fact I never heard of it), not sure how invasive it is, but most antivirus companies tend to exaggerate, otherwise their software wouldn't sell ;)

Anyways can't blame Zilmar, anyone has the right to try monetized from their software, you know life ain't free.
While PJ64 isn't as big as other projects, I can assure you that a N64 emulator is a very complex piece of software, and Zilmar has given alot to this community, that's why many people including myself defend Zilmar's actions.

PS: I would suggest Zilmar to maybe try to bundle other type of software, maybe chrome? Honestly nobody wants any kind of toolbars these days, so not sure how much income they can bring, since most pople won't install it anyways. (Unless is an opt-out install, which can be seen deceptive for some people I guess).

Last edited:
OP
F

Fanatic 64

Well I never used the delta toolbar (matter of fact I never heard of it), not sure how invasive it is, but most antivirus companies tend to exaggerate, otherwise their software wouldn't sell ;)

Anyways can't blame Zilmar, anyone has the right to try monetized from their software, you know life ain't free.
While PJ64 isn't as big as other projects, I can assure you that a N64 emulator is a very complex piece of software, and Zilmar has given alot to this community, that's why many people including myself defend Zilmar's actions.

PS: I would suggest Zilmar to maybe try to bundle other type of software, maybe chrome? Honestly nobody wants any kind of toolbars these days, so not sure how much income they can bring, since most pople won't install it anyways. (Unless is an opt-out install, which can be seen deceptive for some people I guess).
Google is not willing to support illegal (in their opinion) projects.

And it IS an opt-out install.

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm not asserting that Delta Toolbar is good or even harmless; I really don't know anything about it.
If you're sure of what you say ... if you believe that the Delta Toolbar is (likely) harmless ... THEN install it! :p
/me gives up on having a rational discussion.

If you're sure of what you say, if you trust Zilmar, if you believe that the Delta Toolbar is (likely) harmless because you trust Zilmar, if you have nothing to fear because you trust Zilmar and the most important thing if you want to support Zilmar; THEN install it! :p
I really don't understand... you guys have a way to make your friend getting rich and fat, and you don't want to help him!! (cruel!)

You guys... pathetic. All supporters of Zilmar, his installer and his spyware toolbar... and nobody has the balls to install it and keep it installed.

Oh Zilmar... i am sure you are reading. Do you see what your friends are doing? They support you, but nobody has installed your spywares to help you. -- so no, i was wrong, nobody is supporting you, not even your fake-supporters and fake-online-friends.
Really, nobody wants your toolbar and everyone is backstabbing you in the end. Let me image what your friends think:
"I cry for Zilmar, he did so much for us, i trust him so much, i love Zilmar.... buy hey! installing his toolbar!?! making he earn something for his work!?!? no way!" :p
Yes, we are very dramatic... :D

suanyuan

What's the purpose to say the words of slander?

If you don't like the emulator or the emulator author, just don't use it.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
What the? Oh is it emu-drama season? Didn't have one of those for years. :D

Apart from the drama, Zilmar and co. are probably low on cash and this kind of extras tend to cover this, up to an extent. A lot of free (as free beer) software authors use this root to cover their expenses without having to make their software shareware. Nothing new here. You don't like the spy stuff? Opt them out. The end.

Also, the comment about anti-virus software exaggerating was spot-on. Windows, Skype and most of Microsoft's software has been doing stuff worse than that for years and no antivirus complained, ever. I wonder why... oh wait, those run on Windows. :p
Not to mention the latest spying scandal that included pretty much all of the major online services out there.

In any case, someone who takes his privacy so seriously shouldn't be using Windows at all, let alone bitching about software running on Windows. This behavior contradicts itself and is essentially trolling to attract angry responses (flame-bait). Actually, due to this being pretty much what's going on here, this thread should have been closed already. Geez people. :evil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.